Fly Fusion Forums

No Seasonal Camping This Year At Rhc Prov. Rec Area

I was just informed that there will be no seasonal campsites available this year at Racehorse Creek Provincial Rec Area. This is my letter to Alberta Parks.

I realize I am painting random campers with a broad brush but I was trying to make a point. if anybody can suggest other offices I can complain to, please let me kniow.

To whom it may concern,

For the last 5 years I have camped between 40-65 days a season at Racehorse Creek Recreation Area in SW Alberta. Last year I bought a small trailer and was able to set it up there for the season for a reasonable fee.

There are a few other seasonal campers at the campground and we set up in the least desireable sites in the campground. This leaves the nicer campsites available for all drive up campers.

There were perhaps 6 seasonal sites there last year in a campground of 38 sites. I was there almost every week from mid May until October. When I was there (Sun-Tues) the campground was usually 2/3 empty.

I had an amazing experience there last season and I was really looking forward to this upcoming season.

This area in the Forest Reserve allows "Random Camping". The area around the campground is flooded with these sites. There are sites all along the Forestry Trunk Rd, Dutch Creek Rd. and the Oldman River Rd. There are hundreds of permanent campsites that are erected every May and occupied until Sept-October. There are many regulations regarding this type of camping. These regulations are shown in the pamphlet ditributed by SRD http://www.srd.alberta.ca/RecreationPublic...mping_Final.pdf.

I have fished all through this area and I KNOW almost all of these regulations have not been enforced. There are campers there all season and they use the area as there own private getaway. They ruin the area around them with their garbage and waste, not to mention making the area look like a refugee camp.

I personally respect authority and for the last 6 years I went the legal route and the route with the least environmental impact and decided to stay in a Provincial Rec. Area. and last year I opted to get a seasonal campsite, and I was looking forward to doing the same this year.

I have just been informed that Alberta Parks will not be allowing seasonal campsites this year!!!! I am shocked and very disappointed. I can't think of a valid reason why, and I was hoping you could give me one. It doesn't make sense to me. Alberta Parks won't allow me to stay in a proper campground where I pay a proper fee for this privilege for a season, but, they do allow people to camp all around the Rec Area, destroying the environment, leaving garbage, permanent structures and other unsightly messes and stay for the whole summer. Worst of all they can do it for FREE!! Also the regulations are rarely enforced so they know they can!!

Please don't tell me that this year will be different as far as enforcing these regulations because I have heard it every year and it never is.

The decision for no seasonal campsites makes no sense to me and I would like a reply. I have put a lot of camping dollars in your coffers over the last 5 years and I believe I deserve the courtesy of a response.

Thank you

I appreciate any feedback

Thanks

Al

I think you made your point extremely well. Referencing the illegal squatters and how you took the responsible route was a nice touch.

It will be interesting to see what if any response you get.

Btw I love that campground. Found it last year when I was exploring the area with my rod, stayed 3 days and was planning on more this summer.

Good luck hopefully your letter changes their mind.

Good on you MrB. Well done.

THIS will interest you. That cookhouse? Was still there in 2008! :$*%&:

If you want, send me an email and I will send you a PDF of a long letter I sent to Morton 2 years ago..also his reply that would gag a maggot. Bah!

I also have my letters from 2001 and 2002 as well. Nothing changes.

Regards

Clive

SCHAUPMEYER AT GMAIL DOT COM

• 1 month later...

I would definately like to read the response if you get one.

Unfotunately its the same old excuse, "there is no money in the budget". You would think with the amount of tickets that could be handed out not only enforcing these issues but also off road vehicle use and fisheries offenses, it could pretty much fund itself.

Not to start anything, but technically, there was no seasonal camping ever at an provincial camp ground, i believe you have a max of a 2 week stay. I believe we also discussed this in the past, and you said that the camp host let you as the camp ground never filled up. If the campground is not utilised to the max i have no problem saying stay the summer on spots that are less desirable. That said in BC a person has a max at a provincial camp ground for the year of 14 days.

Nick

x2 (+1)

Yeah that's a little too logical for the AB Gov't!

P

You would think with the amount of tickets that could be handed out not only enforcing these issues but also off road vehicle use and fisheries offenses, it could pretty much fund itself.