Fly Fusion Forums

Rickr's Story Of The Week

reevesr1

So this weeks' story of the week happened this week. Today in fact.

Went out today with Max, MissinTheBow, and a friend of mine from work. We fished around Policeman's and while we did not catch a ton of fish, we certainly had a blast. Everyone caught a few, biggest maybe 22". Lots of fish lost on jumps and some break-offs. It was a blast with lots of laughs and I learned a ton, again, from a couple of outstanding fishermen. But that is not the story....

Towards the end of the day, we have worked our way into some pretty fast water. MTB, my friend, and myself are pretty much done for the day. Max, however, can't seem to get off the water without one big fish. So he pulls off this one handed spey, super ninja, feakazoid 60 ft cast, into a light wind. After I had spent the last hour trying to roll cast 25 ft (at best!) with lots of cover behind and wind in my face, I see this cast, and think, KMA you young whipper snapper (but I thought something other than whipper snapper, with less letters, like 4 with an er on the end). Anyway, he hits the seam perfectly, a fish hits and Max sets the hook. And breaks off. Ha-Ha, serves him right for the Ninja cast! Well, Max turns around in frustration and while his back is to the run, a very large, very pissed off rainbow clears the water, like by 3 feet. MTB, my buddy and myself make noises of amazement. Max says, "what, did he jump" turns around, and he jumps again. These are high jumps with not much side to side motion. I know he is trying to shake the hook, but I swear it was like "look at what you missed buddy!" Now, this is where the story may slide into legend over time. MTB says "he's over 20" I say "yeah, by like 6 inches" and Max is literally moaning. In the end, this behemoth jumps 4 or 5 times over 30 seconds or so. Max is giving him the middle finger and claiming the fish is flipping him off! MTB changes his length assesment to "at least 12 inches". I'm silently applauding the Rainbow cuz I'm still mad at the ninja cast! Anyway, it was a pretty awesome sight that I'll remember for a long time. And I know where he lives (hey Max, race ya!)

And in the next couple of days, I'll post a picture. My buddy got a shot of the fish as it is just clearing the water. Just an amazing shot. He is going to send it to me, hopefully tomorrow.

12 plus..... ;) and he's one of the little guys in that run.

You forgot to mention the nice folks that not even 15 minutes earlier were kind enough to run their Zodiac directly up the middle of the run Max and I were trying to fish. Obviously this put the fish down and Max was basically just checking if they were willing again to feed before we left the water. I guess he was anyways.

While they were driving right thru our water at approximately 3 KM/Hr, we very politely let them know their mistake. They must have misunderstood us because they anchored upstream and waited for us to leave before heading back downstream.

You also forgot to mention that Max is suffering from a slight case of "Pike Fever"....

12 plus..... ;) and he's one of the little guys in that run.

You forgot to mention the nice folks that not even 15 minutes earlier were kind enough to run their Zodiac directly up the middle of the run Max and I were trying to fish. Obviously this put the fish down and Max was basically just checking if they were willing again to feed before we left the water. I guess he was anyways.

While they were driving right thru our water at approximately 3 KM/Hr, we very politely let them know their mistake. They must have misunderstood us because they anchored upstream and waited for us to leave before heading back downstream.

You also forgot to mention that Max is suffering from a slight case of "Pike Fever"....

I didn't forget about the zodiac. I was going to mention it, but I honestly thought about how kindly SilverDoctor treats other users of the river and how our actions put us in a lesser light! He gives people flies, we yell at them. Then I thought about how his stories are well thought out, almost lyrical creations and mine are told in a rush in single, poorly constructed paragraphs. I could feel a severe inferiority complex developing. That, in addition to Max's casting and your manipulation of line was causing me to rethink whether I should be fishing or telling stories at all. So to avoid these feelings of inadequacy, I decided to skip the zodiac part. How's that for convoluted logic?

The case of Pike fever may be severe.

And I just thought of what the Rainbow was actually saying.....

BEEEYAAAHHH Beeeatch!!

I give flies too....I might have to start charging ;)

Don't forget about the few flies you gave away too....Hopefully I can get them back the next time I fish that stretch.

Now I sleep in preperation for this weekend Pal. Make sure to keep your arm nice and rested.

See you Friday, I'll try to leave a few uneducated after tomorrow.

Here is the picture of the trout jumping. Pretty amazing with a digital camera!

jumpingtroutau4.jpg

And I couldn't resist this one. Apparently it takes two people to show me how to fish. That's MTB showing me where I should have casted and Max observing me being instructed!

twototeachws1.jpg

lmao yea meng that bow was giving me the finger and was sayin beeyahh biatch...im on my way next week tho and "his soul is mine" lmao....o and i am kind too all flyfisherman on the bow in a driftboat on shore or in a jetboat unless u drive 30 feet or less fom my feet...then i will proceed too throw and skip rocks past ur boat/head all the way up teh bank yellin "hows this for respect adn ettiquette" and 3 buddies in th boat that i did throw rocks at...i dare ya next time too get closer! adn i coudl have knocked u out at 30 feet no prob...respect people respect...was ane excellent day on teh water with 3 great people...goodluck on your bullytrip brett and rick

Wow...Nice shot of that huge Rainbow. As for the race to get that fish first, are'nt you guys leaving town for the weekend, leaving Max, Hawgstoppah and I here to go in and finish the job!

Race ya...grin.

Max is guiding all weekend! And I know you and Brian don't really know where we were..... ;) Anyway, don't all of you have enough pet fish???

One can never have enough "pet fish" Rick...of course Brian and I are working on the forensics of that location and from your photo's posted, we have narrowed it down to three possible locations...yer in trouble fishy. :lol:

You know you're on the water too much when... hahaha

Wait a minute.. you can never be on the water TOO much! :P

One can never have enough "pet fish" Rick...of course Brian and I are working on the forensics of that location and from your photo's posted, we have narrowed it down to three possible locations...yer in trouble fishy. :lol:

Ah, who says both photo's are in the same place?? And I said where we were. Policeman's, remember?? ;) If you have any doubts, just look for a big jumping trout. He's not hard to see!

That is an excellent pic. A siloette of that would make a great FFC logo.

Hydropsyche,

I laughed when I read this! My first thought was "can you make Brett taller?" and that thankfully I had a hat on!

But after thinking a bit, it isn't a bad idea. To me, the primary function of this board is to share experiences and instruct others. This picture shows exactly that. Two experienced guys teaching a neophyte.

that's an awesome story Rick....and that pic is amazing!

We had the same thing happen this year, except the fish was about half the size and jumped so close to our boat it practically jumped into it. Hmmm...invasion of the asian carp maybe? :blink:

I REALLY like that idea for a logo. Would probably be a bit complicated for the embroidery, but the concept is really awesome.

P.S. I wasn't the idiot zodiac'er in the story :lol: