Fly Fusion Forums

Throat Pumps

Good Day Everyone.

As I prepare for a holiday in the BC interior to fish one of my favorite lakes, I came upon an article from Brian Chan regarding the use of throat pumps to accurately determine what the fish are feeding on. I have never used one and would like to know how to do it. I realize that this action could cause some damage to the fish if not done properly. So, lets hear it! Who does this and how is it done without hurting the fish?

FHD

I am to lazy to give a fist pump let alone a throat pump. I have fished for years without one and I do not see the need for me to use one in the future.

What would you use on a bulltrout, a Chernobyl Turkey Baster?

I have never used one, and I don't plan on starting now....If you have a basic knowledge of the insect life in the water you are fishing, and by being observant, I really don't think it is necessary....Some times it just takes a little experimentation to find what the fish are keying on.

I bought a pump a few years ago, and have still yet to use it....Im not really against it, if used properly, just never found the need to use it, and also, something just dont feel right (to me) stickin something down a Trouts throat, and then stealin his lunch :lol: ....I think what ggp said above, nailed it...

Cheers...Jeff..

To me the throat pump gives you a better look at what is happening now, as well as being able to monitor any changes. I don't pump every fish, however I will pump every second or third, also if I've gone a while between fish I can maybe pick up on something I've missed.

Maybe it's more of a confidence thing, but I subscribe to theory of whats at the end of your line is just as important as what goes down the line. ;)

To pump, or not to pump... that is an interesting question!! How much more distress and damage do we want to incurr on this poor fish, after hooking it in the jaw and dragging it to a net, hand, or worse! Sure, let's cram a turkey baster down its throat and suck its lunch out! It will never look at lunch the same again!!

I agree... you've already caught the fish. Did you forget what you tied onto the end of your line?

Also... I thought part of the challenge of flyfishing was figuring out the line/leader/tippet/fly combination that will work on that day, at that time, during that weather, at that water level, on that species of fish. Is it possible a throat pump is actually taking away from the thrill of the hunt, which is what we love about this sport anyway?

Am I being too harsh? I think I need a cheeseburger to calm myself down...

Well, I'll add my 2 cents. After being guided by Phil Rowley last year, and seeing one used "live". I went out and bought one. Can't wait to try it. I reject the earlier argument about negating the thrill of the hunt. Hogwash, imho. Just another tool, and it behooves me to learn to use it properly. Really don't see what the big deal is.

Smitty

I see the throat pump as invasive and uncalled for, unless you are a biologist doing surveys or studies on species we dont need them. We all catch lots of fish, we all know what they are eating, we've known thihs for years and years. Throat pumps are just like everything.....how far can we take this! Maybe we should start giving them rectals to see whats in there waste too! As far as uping your catch rate great, so you caught 20 instead of 15 or 40 instead of 30. like I said its just like everythign else, some people just feel the need to take it a step further even if it is totally uncalled for. Throat pump or not if your fishing a lake you know what your going to use before you get there, Leeches, Damsels, Scuds and Chronies! You can see the bug life on and in the water you dont need to stick a pump down there throat to make yourself feel like your doing something differant or special. Everytime I see Brian chan do it it makes me cringe, he knows everyting already, he doesnt need to do that. I would be shocked to learn that someone uses one on the Bow, we all know whats in there already. Go to a website to find out what bugs inhabit the waters your going to fish. As a guy thats been fly fishing for 13, 14 years I know I would never conceed not knowing to a thoat pump. As far as the Bow goes, anyone with a rod and some hooks can catch fish there. Probably the easiest piece of water to catch fish on. Throat pumping fish is totally unnecassary and if you absolutely have to then maybe your not as knowledgable as one would think. This is not aimed at anyone, its just my opinion!

I see the throat pump as invasive and uncalled for, unless you are a biologist doing surveys or studies on species we dont need them. We all catch lots of fish, we all know what they are eating, we've known thihs for years and years. Throat pumps are just like everything.....how far can we take this! Maybe we should start giving them rectals to see whats in there waste too! As far as uping your catch rate great, so you caught 20 instead of 15 or 40 instead of 30. like I said its just like everythign else, some people just feel the need to take it a step further even if it is totally uncalled for. Throat pump or not if your fishing a lake you know what your going to use before you get there, Leeches, Damsels, Scuds and Chronies! You can see the bug life on and in the water you dont need to stick a pump down there throat to make yourself feel like your doing something differant or special. Everytime I see Brian chan do it it makes me cringe, he knows everyting already, he doesnt need to do that. I would be shocked to learn that someone uses one on the Bow, we all know whats in there already. Go to a website to find out what bugs inhabit the waters your going to fish. As a guy thats been fly fishing for 13, 14 years I know I would never conceed not knowing to a thoat pump. As far as the Bow goes, anyone with a rod and some hooks can catch fish there. Probably the easiest piece of water to catch fish on. Throat pumping fish is totally unnecassary and if you absolutely have to then maybe your not as knowledgable as one would think. This is not aimed at anyone, its just my opinion!

And a good opinion it is, I think you have hit the nail square on the head....What is more important is to know how to fish the imitations you are using....Even when suspending an imitation from a strike indicator there are subtle little tricks that one can do to improve his or her catch rate.....And by getting rid of the indicator all together can produce amazing results....Sorry, this sort of moves away from the original topic but I am trying to make a point.....Here are a couple of pic's from the same lake, one using a strike indicator from a boat depicting a nice fish, the other from shore without the use of a strike indicator, depicting an even larger fish.....Two fish two different chironomids....In my opinion a throat pump is a very invasive and unnecessary device.

P1030311-1.jpg

P1010938.jpg

More than once I've seen Brian Chan on an episode of Sport Fishing On The Fly, using a throat pump. When he arrives at the lake he mentions that they're on Chironomids, but decides to start with his favorite leech. He hooks a decent fish, pumps it, and shows the camera all the little bugs. He talks about how the ones that are still moving indicate the active feeding, blah, blah, blah, and chucks his leech back in the water. Catches another fish, pumps it, "Oooo, they switched to green chronies!", and soaks the ol' Ruby-Eyed Leech some more. All day like that. He never did change flies.

As far as Phil Rowley goes, I've taken courses from him. Sure he advocates throat pumps, but he also teaches the acromym DRP- Depth, Retrieve, Pattern. Basically he feels that the fly is the least important part of the equation. Those episodes of SFOTF with Brian seem to back that up.

I have no particular conservation concerns with throat pumps; the fish have WAY bigger problems than that. After taking Phil's course I got one, and actually found it hurt my catch rate, I think because it mislead me into ignoring more important aspects of presentation.

I would argue that the majority of the increased catch rates that most people have enjoyed is due to the extra confidence they gained.

Well, I'm already there; using the pump wasn't solely about catch rates, although it does play a factor. Its also about satisfying my selfish, rubbernecking curiosity about actually seeing the food the fish eats.

No apologies here for using it; I think I have a good handle on safely using it, and will try to do more so in the upcoming season. I will say I am not interested in using it while stream fishing; too many fish handling variables to the contend with. Fishing lakes for 20 years has given me a confidence that I can keep a fish fairly calm and respectfully handled in stillwaters.

Smitty

On lakes I'll use a throat pump when the fishin' slows or is slow, 'course I'm a greedy summbuck, I'd much rather catch 2 or 3 dozen fish than 6. One thing about throat pumps... helluva lot easier on fish than cuttin' them open to see what they're feedin' on. Ain't rocket science fellas, if you're gonna use a piece of equipment, know how to use it. Like an old boy once told me, "Ya don't give yourself an enema with a fire hose, it kinda defeats the purpose"

Well, I'm already there; using the pump wasn't solely about catch rates, although it does play a factor. Its also about satisfying my selfish, rubbernecking curiosity about actually seeing the food the fish eats.

No apologies here for using it; I think I have a good handle on safely using it, and will try to do more so in the upcoming season. I will say I am not interested in using it while stream fishing; too many fish handling variables to the contend with. Fishing lakes for 20 years has given me a confidence that I can keep a fish fairly calm and respectfully handled in stillwaters.

Smitty

Smitty pretty well sums up my thoughts on the use of a throat pump. When using one having a large enough landing net is essential. I use a Moby net and chose the largest model. It floats and because of it's large flat bottomed bag there is lots of room for hands and fish. It's practically impossible to properly use a pump in a net hardly bigger than your catch.

IMO, playing a fish well and leaving it in the water (proper catch and release practice) is more critical to survival than the proper use of a throat pump.

Fly fishing is a bloodsport and by its very nature is invasive. So from where I stand proper use of a throat pump is really a moot point.