Fly Fusion Forums

Tying Question/ Advice

splasher5

I am new to tying and would like some advice..Iam currently reading Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying book and practising Brassies and Black Beauty's. In the book he gives some different pattern variations of each. I just wondering what different colors are people using? Has anyone used chartreuse, green,wine?

I am new to tying and would like some advice..Iam currently reading Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying book and practising Brassies and Black Beauty's. In the book he gives some different pattern variations of each. I just wondering what different colors are people using? Has anyone used chartreuse, green,wine?

Only one way to find out. Fish em.

I've tried chartreuse brassies with luck. They imitate caddis worms. The best brassie is just copper wire, peacock herl, some cdc and a bead.

red, zebra, chartreuse and blue are standbys for me but all the colors he lists all work around here...

That's a great book. His website is equally good if you're looking for instructions for other patterns.

+1. Charlie Craven is a rock star in the fly tying world.

This fly looks like it would be an awesome Bow River fly, or anywhere else there's Caddis. I'll have to whip up a few for this weekend.

Love that caddis, JayVee, but I think I'll find another way to weight it. I usually don't care much about those sorts of things, but that's a really nice imitative fly, which to my eye is ruined by that big blob of gold.

Just use a black bead instead of gold, simple solution.

+1. Charlie Craven is a rock star in the fly tying world.

This fly looks like it would be an awesome Bow River fly, or anywhere else there's Caddis. I'll have to whip up a few for this weekend.

That Shark Caddis looks killer, & simple to tie.

I am going to whip some up with a black tungsten bead & perhaps dubbed with some deer hair for that "leggy" look that I use on some other caddis.

caddis_larva2.jpg

Update:

Here is one that I did quick, but in green because my yellow was too pen was too bright and I had no cream antron. The notes that I read said less is more for the hare's mask but I think I need a little more in there. I also think I will use ice dub instead of pecock herl in version 2.0.

shark_caddis.jpg

Andrew

This was my first time using a dubbing loop...cool technique! I found it much easier to use a closed loop rather than split the Antron like the tutorial shows.

Shark-Caddis-cream.jpg

There are times when an interesting color will work great and we can speculate about this and that we have seen on a web site or in a book. Don't forget to have a peek streamside, collect some specimens and use your eyes.