Fly Fusion Forums

Picking Up Trash When You're Fishing

wongrs

Picking up the trash  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How often to you pick up trash when you fish your streams?

• Every dang time
    • 75% of the time
    • 50% of the time
    • 25% of the time
    • less than 25% of the time

This is my first poll so hope it works out. Just curious what percentage of people pick up trash when they head out fishing say in the past 6 months. I didn't myself until recently when I started noticing more and more trash showing up.

Thanks for participating!

I would say 25% of the time. The majority of my trips are on the Bow, and I pick up stuff maybe 1 in 4. The few times I have fished streams, I have picked up whatever I could hold and/or stuff in my vest on the way out. BTW, way to take matters into your own hands!

I voted for 50%.

There are times I just leave it. But, I also fish streams that have very little human impact and there is no garbage to clear. I will however pick up any glass i may see and not the garbage. Campsites I will leave it better than I left it. I will clear butts, bottle caps, ciggarette foil and other such articles. This was learned form my days as a boyscout.

Steelhead

I try to everytime out - its proabably easier up here as you can really see the difference most of the time - I started fishing Corral Creek this year and got so disgusted with all the trash from the picnic are I ditched all my gear in the truck and went on litter pick mission one day - filled my bag and had to make two other trips in over horrible terrain to get the rest of the piles I made out. Its interesting to consider the effect of human usage, above the Hwy 1A the creek is pristine and almost perfect, from the 1A to the picnic area it has typical Hwy trash like coffee cups and beer/pop cans from the picnic area to the hydro clearings it is all dog and kid toys, and then the hydro-line cleared area is all sandwich wrappers and general "to go" lunch trash - anglers are not innocent, as a matter of fact old lures, leaders, tippet, line, wollybuggers etc etc are the one thing I find consistently over most lengths of water. That and I could write a book on the 100 best illegal campsites, and 25 really crappy ones LOL

A bud found a kayak and paddle floating in the Bow below the canyons this summer - gotta wonder what happened there - so far I am up to two canoe carcasses this year - no guns or bodies yet though.....

I picked up so much trash this year, I should go get tested for diseases! Below bassano is the worst....interestingly enough, i find alot of cans, candy wrappers, noodle packets, and newspapers all with cantonese or mandarin on them....hmmmm........

:angry:

Usually if I remember to bring a bag to put it in. Last time I fished the Bow I found the remnants of a real nice family picnic. Two cream soda cans, two Alexander Keiths bottles, the leftovers of a KFC box, a mostly empty bag of Doritos and the reason they left so quickly, empty pickeral rig bags and a empty container of minnows. They probably saw Fishhead heading their way, with his baseball bat. ;)

Last week I picked up a blackberry, outa the Bow. figured someone was fishing and either the boss or wife phoned once to often. I know I have felt like that.

but I very rarly come off the river with out a few things in my bag, I figure leaving the river as you found it is nice and all but even nicer if you leave a river better than you found it.

and I always find some thing to haul out or fix no matter where I have fished and ussually only takes a bit of effort.

now if all could do that we could have a pristine river in the middle of the city, and while i'm on the subject of impossible might as well ask for teenagers the don't talk back.

Teck

I will usually pic up anything that is not retchedly disgusting and that will easily fit in my pockets or backpack...... big things like canoe parts (weird how many canoe carcass's show up on the upper bow) barrels, barbed wire, and stuff like that I leave........ I also hate picking up minnow and smelt containers cause they STINK like you wouldn't believe. I also fish a lot of places where few humans go so much of the time I see very little refuse.....

I draw the line at condoms, panties, tampons, or toilet paper though...

Anything that's not a potential health hazard.

Beer cans/bottles/caps in the water are my pet peeve! Picking those up off the bottom really gives you a feel for how deceptively deep water can be.

In mid-July I pulled an entire dome tent, abandoned and flattened, from a gravel bar in the middle of Shunda Creek. Probably a 6-man tent. Took 3 trips and nearly filled up the back of the truck.

It's one thing to have a chip bag blow out of your vest, but man....

i certainly pick up my trash all the time. But currently am working on a project called "Golf Balls on the Bow". The last 4 days i've started collecting these range balls you see floating downstream or on the side of the river. Currently i have a count of 64 ranges balls all from the same range. At the end of the year i will be taking these range balls back to the particular range to sell it back to them or cause a scene.

I see alot of golf balls as well. I was fishing across from the mackenzie the other day and splash...right in my spot. Came close to hitting me. Guys are just teeing them up and driving them into the river. I have also camped overnight across from Cottonwood and there are alot of balls there as well. If you want me to collect as well let me know. I would be happy to donate. As golf is my second passion i hate to see these balls floating down the river. I try to pack out as much garbage as i can but there is only so much you can carry. hopefully i find a pontoon boat on the side of the river soon.

Ed

50% - Depends where, in the mountains somewhere - always - but if your fishing the Bow in the city or even downstream from it..you'll spend your day picking trash rather than fishing..I still do pick trash of the Bow in the city..but you have to be much more tolerant .. and try to realize your fishing a city river .. organized clean ups are the best way to get bulk trash out

i certainly pick up my trash all the time. But currently am working on a project called "Golf Balls on the Bow". The last 4 days i've started collecting these range balls you see floating downstream or on the side of the river. Currently i have a count of 64 ranges balls all from the same range. At the end of the year i will be taking these range balls back to the particular range to sell it back to them or cause a scene.

I know the range you mean I have picked up several, let me know if the are willing to give you anything cause I doubt it. Otherwise bring your clubs and then just walk out and hit them. Or drive by and dump in the parking lot. ;)

I know the range you mean I have picked up several, let me know if the are willing to give you anything cause I doubt it. Otherwise bring your clubs and then just walk out and hit them. Or drive by and dump in the parking lot. ;)

I was thinking if I don't recieve cash for them I will have to open up an intense barrage of Artillery fire on the clubhouse(man, do I ever have a wicked slice). Or perhaps take my pail of golf balls and dump them on the floor in the clubhouse. Am really sick of seeing golf balls floating by on the Bow. Just imagine how many golf balls are on the river bed(the ones that don't float). However, I don't see golf balls effecting trout in the river at all. Or maybe it does? Chances of me getting any cash for my little venture is slim to none. But if I can somehow get enough balls together for a $100. Well that would go towards a new rod\reel and so on..........oh yeah am up to 71 golf balls after tonight.

Where are you from zuggbugg and are you coming over again this season?

hey toolman,

i'm from the netherlands and i already had my vacation this year, i was in canmore/jasper for the month of june so unfortunately i have to wait another year again.

greetzzzzzz,

zuggbugg