Fly Fusion Forums

Backing

For me it's more important to fill the reel.

I like to have at least 75 yards of backing, but I think it's more important that the reel is almost full.

The closer you are to the outside of the reel, the faster you can pick up line.

My $.02 :peesout:

BK

For the Bow.....about 5 feet
No, no. You need at least 10' so you can cast your whole flyline.

Ok, on a serious note, I agree with the earlier comments. I'd also add that another advantage of filling the reel is that your flyline is not coiled as tightly. In other words, diameter of each coil is larger.

How much backing is recommended for a standard still-water/bow river set up? What lbs is recommended 20lbs, 30lbs? should i go with dacron or gel spun?

thoughts???

m

M,

Backing lengths will depend on several criteria:

1] Fish that you intend to catch

2] Reel capacity

3] Line weight.

#1 - the Bow and few stillwater lakes in Alberta mean that you can encounter fish that may exceed 5 lbs. and may take runs exceeding 50 yards. Therefore, you backing should exceed this length.

#2 - Selection of dacron vs spun gel - if your reel will accommodate 50+ yards of dacron - use it. It is a lot less abrasive on the guides.

#3 - 20 lb dacron is fine for virtually all fresh water fish except for migrating steelhead/salmon. However, if you intend to use a heavier line weight where you might go to the salt, go to 30 lb.

You've been told to fill the reel - well kinda - my stopping point is 3/8" from the reel cage when the line is installed neatly. In the heat of battle, rarely does the line go neatly into place. 3/8" of an inch will give you enough room for some slack in the line.

Personally, I've had 5 fish in the backing this past summer. One in BC and 4 in Manitoba. All were 6>8 lbs. and ran only about 10 yards into the backing. A friend fished for years on the Dean River for Steelhead with a 6 wt. line and 50 yards. Was never spooled once. In the 50+ years I've been trout fishing, I've only had to pull anchor twice due to getting close to being spooled. Neither of the fish were much over 5 lbs. I use 50 yards +/-

catch ya'

Don

If you fish bullshead in June you'll want as much backing as you can possibly fit. :lol:

In June of 2005 in one day I had at least a dozen fish go way, waaaaay, into my backing. Russ can back me up on that. It was amazing how hard those babies were pulling that day. He compared it to fishing for trips' in BC's finest lakes.

Having seen that... and it sorta came out of the blue becuase before that I'd rarely had fish go into the backing... I'd suggest making sure you have a minimum of 50 yards. I commonly go with over 100 now.