Fly Fusion Forums

Swinging.

Tungsten

Was wondering how many of you do it on a consistent basis,.In the last 5 or so years of fishing i seam to have gotten caught up on watching an indi.This year i started doing it more and have had pretty good success with it.Swinging wets really makes you understand the term "the tug is the drug".

If you haven't tried it,or your not having any luck with your drys try swinging a nymph.

Never rule out the red one, even on the swing...

Of course I would never, but....hahaha.

As for swing flies, I usually try and teach people to just take the indie off and swing whatever they were nymphing with as a means of getting them into the swing game. Then, once the tug drug kicks in, they are usually more willing to learn the different swing methods and line systems used to make better presentations. Like all fly fishing tactics, there is a learning curve and an investment of time/money for tackle ect., required to have consistent success.

Swinging a Water boatman on a fast sink tip/fluro leader should produce a few good slams on the Bow right now. Hang on tight!

Guest Sundancefisher
Was wondering how many of you do it on a consistent basis,.In the last 5 or so years of fishing i seam to have gotten caught up on watching an indi.This year i started doing it more and have had pretty good success with it.Swinging wets really makes you understand the term "the tug is the drug".

If you haven't tried it,or your not having any luck with your drys try swinging a nymph.

Have you been out in the evening swinging with the missus? <--poke--<

You are setting this thread up for comments way to easily...I just had to bite.

hello all! new to the site, but not bull trout hunting. 10' of leader is allot for me...for any streamer rig. for bulls, i run a short, 3-5' piece of 10-15lb mono and a coupla large splits if needed but flies are tyed uber heavy. like mentioned b4, stack mending can definetly help, but beware of missed fish on its way down. i think the current is the best way to sink a fly, provided a short leader is used. bulls can hit n spit as fast as any trout, and maintaining a visual or feel is critical to a good bull hunt! but hey...theres allota techniques out there, finding the comfortable one takes a while.

Its how I always fish mayfly nymph patterns because they are strong swimmers and standard swing techniques work well. But I always use an indicator when using a stonefly pattern, as swinging does not work as well in that case. After so long swinging nymphs, I have developed an instinct for subtle strikes. I find most of the time on the bow, the "tugs" are fairly obvious, and you know its a fish. Setting the hook is a whole different matter, and I am still always working on that one. Keep hooks super sharp when swinging fles on the bow, as alot of times the trout will just swim out and "tap" the fly,and without sharp hooks you won't catch these fish.

hello all! new to the site, but not bull trout hunting. 10' of leader is allot for me...for any streamer rig. for bulls, i run a short, 3-5' piece of 10-15lb mono and a coupla large splits if needed but flies are tyed uber heavy. like mentioned b4, stack mending can definetly help, but beware of missed fish on its way down. i think the current is the best way to sink a fly, provided a short leader is used. bulls can hit n spit as fast as any trout, and maintaining a visual or feel is critical to a good bull hunt! but hey...theres allota techniques out there, finding the comfortable one takes a while.

sorry, im a edit. this does not belong here. im new!!

Have been swinging wets on the single hander and streamers on the speyrod for about 2 years now and realy love it. Especially hooking a bigger trout on a streamer on the speyrod is addictive. Feeling that tug and your whole setup stopping in the current and then often the fish launching itself out of the water can be heart stopping. I won't forget my first trout on the swing. Hope to have a couple of these encounters on the bow in a little over a week....

I recently tried just swinging SJW on sinking tips. I haven't caught anything on the swing but caught 2 bows and a whitefish during the drift last week so, its definitely improving for me. I feel more comfortable fishing without the strike indicator...One less thing for my line to get caught up on :P

Going to have to try these boatmen perhaps when the weekends over.

Is there a difference between swinging a streamer and swinging a soft hackle? I've caught two big fish swinging a streamer in the Bow, but I've had no success swinging streamers or wets the last 4 or 5 times I've been out, and I've spent quite a bit of time chuckin 'em.

Any tips on swinging a streamer or wet? What type of water on the Bow do you guys fish with this method (pools, riffles, eddies, flats, etc.)? Has anyone ever had success fishing classic soft hackle patterns like a "partridge and orange"?

I just want to feel that "tug" again!!!

Is there a difference between swinging a streamer and swinging a soft hackle? I've caught two big fish swinging a streamer in the Bow, but I've had no success swinging streamers or wets the last 4 or 5 times I've been out, and I've spent quite a bit of time chuckin 'em.

Any tips on swinging a streamer or wet? What type of water on the Bow do you guys fish with this method (pools, riffles, eddies, flats, etc.)? Has anyone ever had success fishing classic soft hackle patterns like a "partridge and orange"?

I just want to feel that "tug" again!!!

Have never fished the Bow yet but what I have experienced goes for all rivers fished by me up until now. I swing streamers on evry type of water. Slow and deep flowing pools, runs, riffles just as long as it has enough current to move your flies. Most of the time I use a clear intermediate (very very slow sinking) polyleader and an unweighted streamer pattern with lots of movement in it. Big softhackles are good as well. As long as the water is less than 5 feet deep fish will often come up all the way to the surface to take your fly. Only when the action is very slow I will start using weighted flies and sink leaders.

My friend Ducthdryfly started tossing speyflies for trout and grayling about 2 years ago and they work fine. Gonna try something like this on the Bow in about a week...

SNC00191.jpg