Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Using - Part 2

BRH

Since we have all these "sharing" people on this forum, it might be interesting to "share" how we decide what fly we tie on. Since fly selection accounts for at least some part of the reason for fishing success and whenever asked about fishing success the inquiring angler always asks what fly you're using, then fly selection has to be consider to be an important ingredient to fishing success.

Now I appreciate that the significance of fly selection will carry more weight to some than to others. Some might suggest that fly selection contributes about 10% to your fishing success. Others might rate fly selection higher. Regardless, I'm pretty sure everyone would conceded that fly selection is an important aspect of one's ability to catch fish.

For those who consistently enjoy a fair amount of fishing success, there must be a reason they are consistently into fish. And since the table fare of a trout changes from day to day, week to week, month to month, and sometimes even hour to hour, how is it that these consistently active anglers can roll with these table fare changes and continue to get into fish? For the successful fly caster, there has to be more to fly selection than just trial and error.

So that's the question. How do you decide what fly or flies to use? And what prompts you to change the fly or flies you're using?

So that's the question. How do you decide what fly or flies to use? And what prompts you to change the fly or flies you're using?

Observation; from driving to the launch, at the launch and while being on the water. Not hooking makes me change my rig.

If I am specifically targeting a species my choices of fly will become more refined and that has come from experience.

How do you decide what fly or flies to use?

What I do is go through all causal flies in my fly box, then if nothing works, use the odd ones.

Two days ago, was fishing at NW. In the first hr, I tried SJW, PT, CJ, and etc... NOTHING. Switched to Ice Cream Cone, I landed 6 fish in 30mins. This happens couple times, just throw on odds flies, it might work.

And what prompts you to change the fly or flies you're using?

when you catch nothing.

On the Bow, I start with my top secret killer combo (SJW, prince, CJ), unless there's something obvious happening on the water (ie. hatch). If I don't catch anything, I first adjust my weight and/or leader length. If I still catch nothing, then I move up and/or down the run. If that doesn't work, then I start changing flies. If nothing else works, I start walking to the next hole.

Most of the time I catch something by then.

How do you decide what fly or flies to use? And what prompts you to change the fly or flies you're using?

I would say that alot of people cycle through about a dozen attractor patterns that will probably work 12 months of the year on the bow, sometimes thay are a little pickier than others, thats when you need to use a specific fly as to what they are keying in on, I totally agree with Hawgstoppah`s definition of presentation and how it affects the number of hook-ups. There really is no secret flies, just secrets on how you use them.

just my opinion.

Time of year and water conditions gives me a good idea of what to use and how to fish it.Usually my starters are worm #8 redish brownish color 12" flora (if waters clear) #16-#14 flash back PT then either small green or red or chrome for my last fly.

I'll change my flies if i notice something that convinces me i should change.Like a flash in the water mid depth that suggests i should be emerging rather then drifting.Or i notice a large fish in shallow water.

I'll also change my rig because I'm simply board of it and want to try something else even if it still working.

A successful day for me would be to have caught a few nymphing a couple on the dry and some hard hits on the swing.Oh and also to out fish the guy I'm with. :angel:smail:

There really is no secret flies, just secrets on how you use them.

So if we all believe we should be sharing info with the next guy ... what's the secret on how to use them? Give us a bunch of examples. I'm sure there are lots of folks who frequent this forum that would be interested in the secret of how to use them.

The key to fly selection is observing. When you get there, first of all see if there is anything flying around, if you want to dry fly fish. If nothing flying around then start flipping rocks over. That should give you a pretty good indication of what to tie on.

Of course there are certain flies that always work on certain waters, but that comes with experience.

sz. 16 C.D.C. Caddis with a weighted sz. 4 Griddle Bug for the dropper N if I'm really feeling frisky I'll add a 2/0 Whistler to the combo.

OK i'll bite WTH is a griddle bug?Rubber legged stone maybe?And your saying a #16 caddis will hold up a weighted #4 fly?You got some kinda fancy gink or somthin?

People made fun of folks like me who kept count of fish, kept stats, and kept records. Every fish I caught years ago was documented, time of day, water temp, wind, cloud or sun?... barometric pressure? and of course fly, depth, water type. I know what to tie on and when. Maybe not every single fly in your box, but there's a time for everything... some stuff works better under certain conditions.. on a rainy day, for example, this time of year... I'd go with a large sjw, small sjw, and a baetis nymph, and hit riffles in the 3-6ft depth, that are slowish but at the heads of a pool. After which I would rig up my dry rod and start hunting the banks with a #18-20 b.w.o.

If it was a bright sunny day I'd be using a hopper dropper rig in medium to shallow fast riffles and deflections right along the banks, and expecting fish in the 2ft deep water zone often. The hopper would be yellow bodied, and probably foam, and the dropper would be a small copper john, lighting bug, or hare's ear, and fished approx 18 inches from the hopper. At about 930 -1130a.m. I'd be stalking along the banks in very slow sections observing for any large fishing rising to trico's... and if found, I'd fish those on a 9ft 5x tippet, size #20-22 trico spent wing. If I had to nymph on a day like this I'd use a peeking caddis (poor man's prince will do), golden stone, and a sjw. In moderately fast deep riffles, maybe 6ft deep. (8-9ft leaders)

I don't mind sharing. Can't see why it seems to bother you to no end to do so...

I am very logical about my flyfishing. I keep a written record of every fishing trip I make. Water clarity, temperature, insect hatches, weather, what flies I use and what species of fish I caught that particular day. If I am going to be dry fly fishing, Its 100% observation. Looking at which exact insect is hatching at the moment and duplicating size and color exactly.The results are usually good, if your presentation is adequate. For sub-surface, usually a mayfly nymph pattern like a march brown or hares ear in sizes 10-14. 75 % of a trouts diet in most any stream are mayfly nymphs, so it is hard to go wrong using them. For larger fish, where it might be only 1 or 2 good fish per day, I always go with special hand tied wooly buggers I make. Success here, especially on the bow, is to cast, cast, cast, and then cast some more until you move a good fish. Also, when streamer fishing from shore, do not stay in one place too long. Cover lots of water, and eventually you will move a fish. Most of all is perserverence. Not all days will be good ones, so you need to develop the ability to fish long and hard on slower days for success.

Since we have all these "sharing" people on this forum, it might be interesting to "share" how we decide what fly we tie on. Since fly selection accounts for at least some part of the reason for fishing success and whenever asked about fishing success the inquiring angler always asks what fly you're using, then fly selection has to be consider to be an important ingredient to fishing success.

Now I appreciate that the significance of fly selection will carry more weight to some than to others. Some might suggest that fly selection contributes about 10% to your fishing success. Others might rate fly selection higher. Regardless, I'm pretty sure everyone would conceded that fly selection is an important aspect of one's ability to catch fish.

For those who consistently enjoy a fair amount of fishing success, there must be a reason they are consistently into fish. And since the table fare of a trout changes from day to day, week to week, month to month, and sometimes even hour to hour, how is it that these consistently active anglers can roll with these table fare changes and continue to get into fish? For the successful fly caster, there has to be more to fly selection than just trial and error.

Since alot of people have told you what they are using how about you tell us now what you are using, or are you one of those people that you ranted about in your privesouse post?

BY the way, I flip rocks and look at the water and see what is out there, then I select my fly that best immitates of that bug and a way I go.

Most of my sucess on the bow river comes from keeping a fish jornal that allows me to look at years past and see what was working at what time of year and I also get out roughly 150 days a year if not more, I fish in the winter, spring, and summer.

The more you fish the more sucess you will have.

In ending if you do not tell us what you are using well one word comes to my mind and that is Hipac.......

Have a nice day and I hope you have leeched all the info you need.

Since alot of people have told you what they are using how about you tell us now what you are using, or are you one of those people that you ranted about in your privesouse post?

Have a nice day and I hope you have leeched all the info you need.

People are missing is the point of pseudonym's posts...

I look at it as like he's trying to create discussion in a positive way. Which he has been able to do to a point until people think he's stroking his ego...

If he simply came out and said this is what I use when I fish and I like to share my information with everybody, what kind of discussion would have come of that? None I would guess.

Hearing different perspectives, whether it be on fishing or on any problem that may present itself, is good and expands one's knowledge and creativeness...