Fly Fusion Forums

Building A Deck Without A Permit

I'm putting a small deck/stairs(8x10)replacing the old wobbley stairs that leed up to my mobile home 3 ft of the ground and will be built beyond code I have checked into the codes and they are ment for an inside floor system not decks. The reason I'm concernd is that I want to build this weekend and be done in a day and that I wont have time to be approved

Guest Sundancefisher

I think there are codes as to how close to property lines it can go? There should be something on the City website

I believe if it is under 24-30" you can go right up to the property line

Scott,

If you build it no higher than 24 inches off the ground you don't need a permit. I live in a condo complex and that is what we did, and then we built a small step at the entranceway to get inside.

Check out the next post.

Hope this helps,

Dick Seymour

I believe if it is under 24-30" you can go right up to the property line

Scott,

If you build it no higher than 24 inches off the ground you don't need a permit. I live in a condo complex and that is what we did, and then we built a small step at the entranceway to get inside.

Here is the link:

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gat...d/Deck/Deck.htm

Hope this helps,

Dick Seymour

When I built my deck, I got a permit. Unfortunately I never got started on the deck until after the permit expired - 3 years (long story). Subsequently, the city informed me in writing that I needed a NEW permit before commencing said deck. I didn't bother. Jump ahead 5 years and we're selling the house and I figured I would have a nightmare with the deck issue. All that was required in selling the home was an updated Real Property Report (RPR) showing the deck. All the RPR indicated was that "the deck was situated within the confines of the property"

We didn't get a permit and have a very large deck. We are also sellingt he house and got the Real Property Report done. We had to go to the city to get a stamp for our non-perminent shed which was in the easment for the swale. They didn't say a thing about the deck and we got the stamp in 5 mins.

We were informed by our builder, that because we had a 'sill plate?' already installed that we didn't need the permit, our deck is 8'X20' and approx 3' above grade (although I think the sill plate is where grade is measured from?, and we are level with that).

Colin

Being a Realtor in Red Deer I know that there can be a huge amount of complication if you DO NOT get a permit especially when you go to sell the property and it was not built to code or it has encroachment issues...go get a permit and then you will have NO issues.

Deck

A Building Permit is required for the construction of a wood deck where the deck is more than 600 mm (approx 2 ft) above grade at any point. Depending on the height and size of the deck and the community in which you live, you may also require a Development Permit prior to obtaining your building permit.

For more information, please contact the Planning Services Support Centre at 403-268-5311.

Definition

A deck is:

an uncovered horizontal structure, with a surface height greater than 600 mm (approx 2 ft) above grade at any point, but no higher than the first storey floor level;

supported by any type of foundation system and may or may not be attached to the house; and

more than 2.2 square metres (approx 23.6 sq ft) in area.

Decks constructed of materials other than wood may require the signature and seal of a Professional Engineer licensed to practice in the province of Alberta.

Call Before You Dig!

Always remember to call Alberta One Call at 1-800-242-3447 before you dig. For more information on this service or to submit a locate request, visit their Web site.

Warning

It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the work being carried out does not contravene the requirements of restrictive covenants, caveats, or any other restrictions that are registered against the property.

right from the horse's mouth how hard was that?????

Guest Sundancefisher

Deck

A Building Permit is required for the construction of a wood deck where the deck is more than 600 mm (approx 2 ft) above grade at any point. Depending on the height and size of the deck and the community in which you live, you may also require a Development Permit prior to obtaining your building permit.

For more information, please contact the Planning Services Support Centre at 403-268-5311.

Definition

A deck is:

an uncovered horizontal structure, with a surface height greater than 600 mm (approx 2 ft) above grade at any point, but no higher than the first storey floor level;

supported by any type of foundation system and may or may not be attached to the house; and

more than 2.2 square metres (approx 23.6 sq ft) in area.

Decks constructed of materials other than wood may require the signature and seal of a Professional Engineer licensed to practice in the province of Alberta.

Call Before You Dig!

Always remember to call Alberta One Call at 1-800-242-3447 before you dig. For more information on this service or to submit a locate request, visit their Web site.

Warning

It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the work being carried out does not contravene the requirements of restrictive covenants, caveats, or any other restrictions that are registered against the property.

right from the horse's mouth how hard was that?????

LOL

My late dad dug a post hole for his new deck extension years ago. He took a few minutes wondering what the hissing was... Then backed off and called 911. He had to pay for the city to fix the line because he did not use Alberta One Call...

Mike,

Taller or more square footage?!

P

As someone who has the code sitting on there desk if you replace the existing you do not need a permit. You do not need a permit if it is under 2 feet. You do need a permit to build new or bigger.

Guest Sundancefisher
As someone who has the code sitting on there desk if you replace the existing you do not need a permit. You do not need a permit if it is under 2 feet. You do need a permit to build new or bigger.

Just to be on the safe side I highly recommend you come over to my place...work on the deck and get a feel for it before starting yours.

I think Jayhad quoted right from the horses mouth. If you want to make sure to do it right, simply call up the city or go down to city hall with your plans and they can direct you what you need to do. Or you can take each of the opinions you got from this thread, put in blender, mix for 3 minutes, and get an answer that may be right or one that may force you to do extra work when you move/sell.