Fly Fusion Forums

Calgary's Lack Of "culture"

So.... today a co-worker of mine explained to me ( I am a lifelong Albertan) that she can't wait to leave this province, because of our supposed lack of "culture", etc, etc... I sure most of you have heard this same speech before. I have heard it a lot lately, and it usually comes across in a condescending tone that rubs me the wrong away.

Personally I think Calgary and Alberta have a rich culture and history which I am proud of. I think it is possible, that some people who come to live or visit here, might be missing out on what we really have to offer; or they might be looking in the wrong places?? My advice was to, open your mind, We have culture, but it might be different than what your use to experiencing.

What are your thoughts?

Guest frypan
So.... today a co-worker of mine explained to me ( I am a lifelong Albertan) that she can't wait to leave this province, because of our supposed lack of "culture", etc, etc... I sure most of you have heard this same speech before. I have heard it a lot lately, and it usually comes across in a condescending tone that rubs me the wrong away.

Personally I think Calgary and Alberta have a rich culture and history which I am proud of. I think it is possible, that some people who come to live or visit here, might be missing out on what we really have to offer; or they might be looking in the wrong places?? My advice was to, open your mind, We have culture, but it might be different than what your use to experiencing.

What are your thoughts?

Sounds like she is from Toronto, or for sure Ontario or Quebec. Buy her a one way ticket and tell her not to let the door slap her ass on the way out!

Realtively speaking... Edmonton has WAY more "Culture" ("cultural" type celebrations) then Calgary, for sure!

But Alberta (Calgary) compared to other cities/provinces... We're definitely lacking!

If you've even been to "Caravan" in Toronto... Now that a cultural celebration!!

P

LOL - Sitting back and watching the show after "lighting" up Calgarians on cultural identitiy issues IS part of Calgary's culture.

Seriously - I think your assessment is spot on - Calgary and Alberta in general is overflowing with culture, In the east the focus is diverse, in the west it is clear and concise - the grass is always greener.....

I don't know about the culture, or lack of it here, but I will say this. I work for a large, multi-national company. We employ people from all over the world and transfer them all over the world. The problem with transferring people in to Calgary is the fact that very many of them never want to leave. And some will leave their company instead of transferring out.

I've lived in some pretty nice places in my life. Houston, New Orleans, Chicago, Orlando, San Diego, Honolulu to name a few. You couldn't drag me out of Calgary, I'm here for the duration. May not be the most cultured place in the world, but trust me, culture ain't everything. Edmonton may be more cultured (I've lived there too), but I actually find it funny anyone would rather live in Edmonton than here. I love Edmonton, and have lots of really good friends there. But please!

Great fishing, great mountains, great golf, good food, loaded with pretty girls (I married one). Exactly what else could anyone want?

Great fishing, great mountains, great golf, good food, loaded with pretty girls (I married one). Exactly what else could anyone want?

SEA! And no I would never want to live in the hell hole of Vancouver.....

On the topic of culture in Calgary...mmmmm :huh:. The cowboy culture (aka entrepreneurs) is definitely strong here but everyone has a different definition of culture. Personally having lived in many other countries, I can say Calgary is clean, pretty surroundings, boring and safe. Lots of people love that and lots hate it so it can be viewed as either a positive or negative. It really all depends on where you come from.

The foodie culture is something that is really lacking here compared to other places but it's finally starting to ramp up so I have some hopes for that.

I'm with you rickr. I love this place, warts and all. If someone wants to leave, for whatever reason, I say good ridance. They're not happy and therefore are probably the ones that make it less happy to those around them who are happy to be here. In a way, I feel sorry for them.

I remember when I first moved to Calgary (almost 25yrs ago, where does the time go?) I experienced a bit of culture shock. So there must be "culture" here. It took a bit of adjustment on my part but eventually, the culture sunk in and felt good.

btw, everyone says the west is full of rednecks but I can say without a doubt, Ont has way, way more rednecks then the west (but BC is running close second) but I guess it all comes down to how you define redneck.

Realtively speaking... Edmonton has WAY more "Culture" ("cultural" type celebrations) then Calgary, for sure!

But Alberta (Calgary) compared to other cities/provinces... We're definitely lacking!

If you've even been to "Caravan" in Toronto... Now that a cultural celebration!!

P

I will second that, good call uber! Although I love Edmonton (spent 10 years there), the fishing and hiking in CAlgary was the kicker for me!

Yea it really pisses me off too when people from elsewhere talk about a lack of culture here in Calgary. Calgary and Alberta DEFINITELY are not lacking in culture. Anthropology definition of culture: the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another.

Calgary's culture is strong and alive:

1) Everything in the province where people reside must be built around cars, roads, traffic lights and if not, adjusted accordingly.

2) The pinnacle of man is to drive in a truck. The supreme pinnacle is to drive in a truck, exclusively within city limits, never off pavement, and to never haul or put anything in the bed. Parking a large truck in small parking stalls is a sign of success.

3) The only food that is worth eating is from franchise restaurants or private enterprises that do not actually serve authentic ethnic foods, other than american.

4) Every new neighborhood shall have no more than one family in each housing unit, be only accessible by car (truck), and ideally have its own shopping mall. The street names shall ideally be named according to a theme.

5) Imitation of the greatest country on earth shall be the mandate. USA!

6) Although over 80% of the population lives in urban areas, and most the population wasn't born here, we will continue to pretend that we are a ranching province and city, and wear cowboy hats in celebration of this. And we will drive trucks.

7) The top nine ethnic groups represented in Alberta are of caucasian (as the term is incorrectly used) decent, so our overt racism to any group of color is well-understood by our unfamiliarity of those outside cultures.

8) No matter what, NO MATTER WHAT, we will never consider the oil sands to be a bad idea.

9) We will forever be so grateful that the boundary lines were drawn as they are, for if our province line was shifted 75 km to the east in its southern reaches, we couldn't really have anything to be thankful for.

10) Last, but not least, we shall never let any hippy tell us that idling our truck is a bad thing. Oil is great for the economy.

These are just a small part of our great culture in alberta. Anyone that tries to tell you different, let them know, our culture is strong and unwavering in the greatest province on earth! USA!

Interesting Rick (not agreeing/disagreeing with you)... This is a little bit of an "aside"... A buddy of mine (grew up with him here in Calgary) who moved to NYC (Brooklyn) a few years ago was here a couple of weeks back and he couldn't believe how expensive restaurants are here!! He happen to mention that restaurants in SOHO (very trendy upscale area in NYC for those who don't know) are 1/2 the cost of restaurants here!!

P

good food

hahaha. It was humor. For all of Calgary's culture talk, this is probably in the top three cities I want to live in the whole world. It's got some awesome stuff about it. Once I'm done school I'll head back home (to my nirvana), but I will really miss the Bow and how close it is to the Parks.

Try the Folk Festival on for a cultural slap upside the head. This year is going to be awesome, that former Albertan Michael Franti and his band Spearhead will be there, and that Alberta guy who played with Bob Dylan, The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin etc. Ian Something, he'll be there along with Stars, the Avett Bros, Cat Empire, Shakura Shaida, Greg Brown, and of course the Hurtin' Albertan Corb Lund. But there really isn't any culture here, not at the Ironwood or anywhere on "International Avenue" or at the Sled Island festival, or the BBQ on the Bow, Calgary Farmers Market, Calgary Blues Festival, Word Fest, the Calgary Film Festival, One Yellow Rabbit. I could keep going on, the biggest hindrance to culture in Calgary is attitude, people from elsewhere always compare where they are from to Calgary and I'm afraid the majority of Calgarians don't take part in most of what is available. Then join in and say" Yeah there's no culture in this town". Calgary the city where eveyone is a "cowboy" for ten days a year and part of the herd for the other 355. Giddup, move 'em out Yaw!

Ian Tyson, Corb Lund, Tim Huss, K.D. Lang, Joni Mitchell, Whoops!!! those last two slipped...

If you all are really lookin' to find some GREAT Alberta culture check out Wide Cut Country on the mighty C.K.U.A 93.7 on Saturday from 10 to noon on your F.M. dial. Seriously, Allison Brock has impeccable taste in music!!!

I submit that those who are accusing Alberta of having no culture simply don't like the culture they have found here.

Nothing wrong with being a redneck... it just means that you are not thinking with you head up your ass!!!

good discussion.

I like your point jigsaw, it's not that Alberta doesn't have "culture" it is just different and somewhat unique, and possibly not to the liking of some. Listen to any Corb Lund track, there is one of our local artists that has a talent for songwriting and singing about our heritage and way of life. If fact, he was invited to play concerts in Washington DC at the Smithsonian.... get this.... as a representative for an exhibit of Alberta and it's "Culture".

I appreciate it when others share their customs and traditions with us when they come to our city/province (it infact it strengthens our cultural fabric), but I also think it's important to recognize that rural and EVEN urban Alberta has creative people doing great things to express our traditions and way of life. You cannot deny that the First Nations people and settlers to this area laid the ground work for the cultural traditions we enjoy today. It is up to us to embrace it and grow it.

i'm really not that philosophical...it was just on my mind :)

I do too, except when they throw coconuts in the the Bow, eh frypan, my friend!! Lol :P

P

I appreciate it when others share their customs and traditions with us when they come to our city/province (it infact it strengthens our cultural fabric)

Guest frypan

Go to a spring branding party then the big shin dig after and then try to tell me that there is no culture in Alberta.

I think when people criticize a place for "not having any culture" what they mean to say is "not any of what they consider to be culture", which is substantially different from having no culture at all.

To me, "culture" is the way of living and entertaining one's self or one's community that has been developed over time. It depends on what is available to people in the area. To my observation, calgary has a diversified and multifaceted and for the most part, outdoor culture. Many people in large metropolitan cities of the world(with LOTS of "culture") would give their left eye to live where there is free space and outdoor culture like Calgary .

j

This is interesting and I have heard it as well. My view on this is that a lot of this comes from the way our city is set up. I lived in Ottawa for a number of years and I always thought it had more "culture" then here. I think the main reason for that is that the downtown and Market are vibrant and busy and people want to be there. There are great restaurants, amazing museums and galleries all centrally located with a lot of really great festivals. This makes it very accessible. I found it quite difficult to find that sort of thing here and the main reason is I don't want to go downtown. I also found that a number of these things are so dispersed throughout the city making it difficult to get to (again, just my view). Any time anyone has said the no culture thing to me it has always been around the arts and I have always responded that it is here, you just have to work a bit harder to find it.

Try the Folk Festival on for a cultural slap upside the head. This year is going to be awesome, that former Albertan Michael Franti and his band Spearhead will be there, and that Alberta guy who played with Bob Dylan, The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin etc. Ian Something, he'll be there along with Stars, the Avett Bros, Cat Empire, Shakura Shaida, Greg Brown, and of course the Hurtin' Albertan Corb Lund.

I go to the folk fest every year, and have since I was in university in......

Edmonton!

Putting my request for EFMF tickets on their website right now. Never been to Calgary's (though if I was ever going to go, this is the year. Franti is great live, seen Ian Tyson plenty, and Corb Lund would be great to see in Calgary), but one per year is enough for me.

This is interesting and I have heard it as well. My view on this is that a lot of this comes from the way our city is set up. I lived in Ottawa for a number of years and I always thought it had more "culture" then here. I think the main reason for that is that the downtown and Market are vibrant and busy and people want to be there. There are great restaurants, amazing museums and galleries all centrally located with a lot of really great festivals. This makes it very accessible. I found it quite difficult to find that sort of thing here and the main reason is I don't want to go downtown. I also found that a number of these things are so dispersed throughout the city making it difficult to get to (again, just my view). Any time anyone has said the no culture thing to me it has always been around the arts and I have always responded that it is here, you just have to work a bit harder to find it.

A vibrant downtown core would be nice. Everybody runs home to the 'burbs.

A vibrant downtown core would be nice. Everybody runs home to the 'burbs.

I think this is the issue that people who come from a more densely populated and older city have trouble adjusting to. 10 years or so ago the 17th ave SW had a chance to become this but the red mile thing and super heated economy ruined it. As an example the cool little coffee shop I liked had their rent double, then the book store closed for the same reason and so on, now it's mostly sports bars all the way down the street. This city would really benefit from something like Montreal's Old Port or Plataea areas where small unique businesses could thrive.

Having said that, I'm happy here and adjusting to my suburb lifestyle.