Fly Fusion Forums

Calgary's Lack Of "culture"

most people who say there's no culture in calgary have no idea what they are talking about. i suspect if you ask them they would be unable to articulate why they say that. calgary may not have the variety of choices as larger cities but there's pretty much something for everyone. it depends on the person's definition of culture. for the size of calgary we have plenty of culture.

we have the #1 english language creation theatre company in canada - one yellow rabbit (all of the founders and current artists are calgarians) - which has essentially created a new style of theatre now being imitated across canada. and other more mainstream theatre including atp which runs an annual festival of new canadian plays. we have djd one of the only jazz dance companies in canada that grew itself without the help of the canada council. we have the alberta ballet which has made waves around the world with both traditional ballet and the contemporary joni mitchell and elton john ballets. we are lacking a major visual art gallery unfortunately. there is a vibrant independent music scene. jazzfest was a problem again but that is mostly related to poor management and operating as events i've enjoyed in the past have been well attended. the calgary folk festival certainly rivals edmonton's and is in a much better venue imho. and as noted there are many other music festivals too. opera and philharmonic are also available if that's the way you roll.

we have the same pro sports as other major canadian cities - mlb excepted (but who cares about guys hitting .237 or going 12-10/4.42 getting paid 6 or 7 mill a year?).

we have the stampede - yeah some disparage it but to each his/her own - which is a major rodeo (maybe the biggest $?) on the circuit and certainly a well accepted fact of life in calgary. what other city completely changes their business dress for 10 days and you don't get fired for being drunk in the office at 10am?

there are also ethnic events - africadey, carifest, greek festival and i'm sure others i don't know about. they may be small by some standards but it's related to population and what can affordably be offered.

how many cities in canada (or the world for that matter) can boast the level of outdoor activities readily available? start with what we all know the bow - in the city or say up to an hour +/- drive (carseland) for world class fly fishing and then expand from there. hiking, skiing etc within even a 50 minute drive. i believe sunshine is considered a top drawer skiing destination. great hunting opportunities for birds and big game within an hour's drive.

we have well recognized restaurants (a few have been chosen as best in canada) and a decent amount of night life (although i dont' really partake) with a variety of choices.

yeah there's plenty of problems in calgary too. poor urban planning resulting in nasty sprawl and suburban neighbourhood after neighbourhood of oversized pink houses. a reliance on the automobile resulting shitty traffic flow - but perhaps not as bad as vancouver or nyc or la. poor public transit system. questionable architecture. dead downtown. macleod trail.

over the years i've had many out of towners from various walks of life (artists, fashion people, the governor general, regular joe and janes) actual marvel at what calgary has to offer once they are shown around and sample what is available. i usually ask them to keep quiet about it as we're happy with what we have.

now if we only had the ocean (or even decent lakes) it would be almost perfect here.

There are good and bad to every city, as for a area in Calgary that has a unique flair. Try Inglewood, the BRZ there has mandated a `no chains` policy. So no Starbucks, no MacDonalds, no Timmies. Lots of really funky cool shops and if you check it out you might find a really cool beer store too.

Rick, you might have to try the Calgary one out this year. I heard Edmonton was already sold out, and Calgary is getting close from what the young lady said when I picked up my tix.

Edmonton sells out every year. We always forget to buy early. We always have been able to locate tickets on swap boards, or friends, or whatever. Haven't ever been unable to get tickets, though this year may be particularly tough. Sounds like a really good line up in both places this year.