Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Locations - Gps

Hi All:

Don't know if this is a good idea or not, or whether or not I can manage to get enough participants to make this worthwhile ...

But ....

What I am trying to do is to generate a Garmin compatible waypoint list consisting of lakes/access points for fishermen.

The goal of this is to have a handy fishing locations reference that people can use to find fishing spots by just entering a destination on their GPS's.

I have started with the stocked ponds list, converting all the ALS coordinates to lat/long. I have now started to put this information into google earth to verify that there actually is a body of water where they say there is. For those that don't know, the ALS system isn't very accurate ... After that, I have taken some test locations and moved the infomation into Garmin MapSource as a waypoint under a Fishing category.

I don't know what people have for GPS units .. myself I have a garmin nuvi 775 and a Rino 530HCX .. although it's not widely done with the nuvi, both are capable of recording travel logs and are capable of having waypoints uploaded/downloaded via Garmin Mapsource. My Rino unit permits me to set a waypoint entry to a location while I'm at the location. To my knowledge, I can't do that with my nuvi.

What I'm asking for participation:

- If you go to any ponds/lakes/whatever .. get the GPS location of the body of water or parking lot. Whatever format you can get, I can convert from there. If you can't get the GPS coordinates, then if you get a log (just turn on your GPS unit while you drive/walk out to site) and forward the log to me, I can extract the information from your log. If you don't know how to get the log, I may be able to generate a set of instructions. it's kind of a long drawn out process at the start and could be confusing for the computer challenged.

examples:

- Elbow Lake - Kananaskis

- GPS location of the parking lot

- Add notes:

- Hike up a short steep trail to the lake

- campsite and outhouses there

- small rainbows

- Sibbald Meadows Pond

- GPS location of pond (or parking lot)

- Add notes:

- Stocked

- On north side of Hwy 68

- Great for kids

- Rainbow, Cutthroat, Brook

- Policeman's Flats

- GPS location of parking lot

- Add notes:

- On Bow river, south of Calgary

- boat launch

- Off Dunbow road, take road north at west edge of golf course (Bow Bottom Trail?) - only include this if the road is too small to be shown on maps

- Highwood River

- GPS location of parking

- Add notes:

- By Nature's Hideaway Camping

- Follow trail

The big question: Is this a worthwhile pursuit? Will this be useful to the average person?

Many Thanx

Ming ...

Not asking for anyone's secret locations ... just what I would define as common knowledge ...

Policeman's, McKinnon, etc aren't any great secret ...

What brought all this about is the number of posts I've seen where people are asking where where thay can take kids/families/just to try a new location, etc.

Ming ...

If the Google map waypoints can be converted to GPS then there's already a list that hundreds have contributed to, just PM me.

BTW I take offense on the "Redneck Forum" statement, if you were joking, then my mistake. I've met much more AO members than FFC members and everyone I've met shares the love of the outdoors and fishing. You'd get lots of nasty comments for posting a improper fish handling photo like you would if you did the same on this board, both boards have their share of idiots too.

Hopefully you can sort out a GPS list Mpon, I know there's lots of common knowledge locations that others might not know so it's nice to be able to share for those that can't dedicate 4 days a week to exploring new locations....

I see where you are going with this and see both sides of the argument. Many maps already have the "public knowledge" areas you suggest.

Just curious as to what additional benefit you see this adding to what's already out there, if you are truly just seeking the "public knowledge" areas?

Issues with public area maps:

- Incomplete - many will be a subset of the total available

- There are many good public lakes that are off the beaten path (Beaver lake is a trophy lake, I only found out about it 3 weeks ago)

- No directions as to how to get there .. a generic map will get you to the general area, but once you're there, they don't go into specifics of where you might be able to park (a GPS will get you hopefully get one to the parking lot)

- Facilities (outhouses for kids?) Camping if it's family outing

- Notes as to how the fishing might actually be (if I recommend a site for kids, I like to know there's actually a chance they'll catch something outside of a cold)

I suppose the biggest thing really is that I can put it all in waypoint format ... so a family can pick up the GPS, look at the user notes, program the destination and go ...

I'm starting with all the stocked ponds, but I can't verify them all myself ... for example, I can't find the Airdrie pond on google earth ... I'll probably have to drive out there to get a firm GPS location myself.

Ming ...

- There are many good public lakes that are off the beaten path (Beaver lake is a trophy lake, I only found out about it 3 weeks ago)

- No directions as to how to get there .. a generic map will get you to the general area, but once you're there, they don't go into specifics of where you might be able to park (a GPS will get you hopefully get one to the parking lot)

- Notes as to how the fishing might actually be (if I recommend a site for kids, I like to know there's actually a chance they'll catch something outside of a cold)

I suppose the biggest thing really is that I can put it all in waypoint format ... so a family can pick up the GPS, look at the user notes, program the destination and go ...

I'm starting with all the stocked ponds, but I can't verify them all myself ... for example, I can't find the Airdrie pond on google earth ... I'll probably have to drive out there to get a firm GPS location myself.

Ming ...

I assume you mean Dewitt's Pond near Airdrie. The coordinates is the "parking" lot at the pond.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=...mp;t=h&z=16

Ming ...

Many places (too many to name) that were once a trophy lake are no longer, and handing people directions on a silver platter isn't going to help that cause.

I understand that you're hoping to help out families, but a quick look at the regs and a decent map will get you to most of the stocked lakes that are intended for such purposes.

Many places (too many to name) that were once a trophy lake are no longer, and handing people directions on a silver platter isn't going to help that cause.

I understand that you're hoping to help out families, but a quick look at the regs and a decent map will get you to most of the stocked lakes that are intended for such purposes.

I agree. If you're just looking for family fishing then all you need to do is pick up a Backroads Mapbook or one of Barry Mitchell's fishing guides and you'll have more possible fishing spots than you're ever going to get around to fishing.

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop/backr...erta-8-197.html

That man is 100% correct.

I'm not going to say anything one way or another... not wanting to cuase any conflict here... but if you do go ahead with something like this PLEASE put the REGS for each place listed, right in the GPS... so it says "BEAVER LAKE, NO BAIT!!!!!, LIMIT 1 OVER 50CM", etc etc... so that we don't have a surge of new people claiming that they never knew the regs for places like buyllshead, beaver, police lake, etc etc.

I can't see it being too terrible if it's restrcited to PUBLIC parking lots that are universal fisheries access sites (ie: boat launches at lakes, public access spots on rivers like policeman's flats/mackinnons/ lundbreck falls campground, etc etc)

good luck with your project and I hope you take my recommendation seriously. cheers :)

Maybe I'm old fashioned...

Asking local fisherman about public knowledge locations will get the info one needs. It's not hard, and that is how relationships form. Talking to people. The person asking may learn a thing or two along the way.

If talking is not your thing, the backroads map, Barry Mitchell's fishing guide and google earth (sometimes all at once :eek: ) have given many hours of pleasant winter evenings. Between the three all the info you mentioned is there. I've found some real gems with those resources.

I'm a huge Mapsource fan, but I think the list your thinking of is a bit redundant. I bet most of the average Joes out there looking for a fish pond would stumble on paper resources before they found a Mapsource file. Maybe Google Earth would be more accessible than all of the above.

hey. I think you r looking something very similar like this

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread....ighlight=google

there are actually lots of information on that google map. you can get gsp location on google map, and enter into your gps. if you have android mobile phone, you can even view this info and navigate from your phone!

if you have google account, I can invite you. just pm me

Hawgstoppah: like your idea ... but don't have time (something called work gets in the way) myself to verify regs on specific lakes ...

Many Thanx to all for your input ...

I just found it an interesting project when I started looking at the different systems, maps, computer resources, GPS .... and being kind of anal in accuracy, and knowing there was no way I could verify all the data ... I was thinking that others could help in just grabbing a coordinate while they were at the site. GPS coordinates are much easier to understand these days for most people.

So I think I'll call this a personal issue/challenge for me to collect all this data for my GPS (without the desired accuracy) ... just to prove it can be done ....

Again, thanx to all ....

Ming ...

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

you have a better chance at getting into the Queens panties before you get my spots! find your own water and advertise it to be raped and pillaged by others.

not trying to be a prick its just the way it is.

You're kidding right, this is some sort of joke post? Give me all your great spots that many of us have spent years or a lifetime figuring out. OK here's mine form Northern to Southern Alberta.

Amen to that Silver. Enough Said

Yeah dude, no offense, but all the the places you are thinking about are easy to find with a good map or book. The "Hard to find" waters which take some guys years to find will not just be handed over so everyone who downloads google earth can access them. Maybe PM humblefisherman and see if he will give you some secret spots... ;) ;)

well if he doesn't "have the time" to list regs I won't contribute at all... nor do I approve anymore.

What... we can get every redneck with bait and a fishing pole to our good trout spots????

then they can say... Oh I didn't know it was C&R and no bait google never said!!

Baaaaad idea without regs listings.... veeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry bad

stupid actually. :$*%&: