Fly Fusion Forums

Going On A Tiger Hunt

Spent the weekend in the Parkland region of Manitoba...and you gotta go!

Was out there helping with the Canadian Fly Fishing Championships but not competing...but did find some time to sneak in a little fishing. Only got to hit Twin Lakes for some Tiger trout, and they are some great fish. Fishing was good, and the size was phenomenal. For my last session fishing (1.5 hours), I landed 5 fish, with only one under 20''...largest being a fat 24'' female.

Was able to meet a lot of good people and learned a lot about the lakes and the area. If you're looking for any specific info, let me know.

If you get a chance to head out there...go for it, there's lots of great lakes.

24enhanced.JPG

Beauty picture Tim, damn near makes me wanna fish lakes.. which reminds me, I gotta see if if I can if I can find that seeper in the right foot of my neos.

Didn't get a lot of quality pics, as my best fishing turned out to be when I was by myself. I finally went back to my old leech under indicator system and thats when it got good. I shouldn't have done all the reading about how Tigers are minnow eaters. The other thing I finally clued into was that they were really structure orientated...there was fish all over...but lots around beaver dams, sunken logs, etc.

Monger, I guess the fish over there knew I had confidence in it, and rewarded me for that. I tried other patterns below it (chironomids, pumpkin head, etc), but finally clipped the bottom fly off after 4 or 5 fish.

Here's a few more

23.JPG

P5270031.JPG

P5280045.JPG

Very healthy looking fish. Did they fight well? I imagine they bulldog rather than jump.

I fooled a 13lb rainbow tonight on a variation of the "Bloom" leech...it even fools triploids.

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Actually they jumped and fought very well. Much closer to a rainbow in their fighting ability, than a brown or brook. Weird...but I was definitely surprised by the fight. They were all very 'healthy'.

Actually they jumped and fought very well. Much closer to a rainbow in their fighting ability, than a brown or brook. Weird...but I was definitely surprised by the fight. They were all very 'healthy'.

never had one jump yet. there stamina is amazing though. they just dont quit.

i like the colors they get in small sk lakes. the fish seem to be very pale when they are caught out of larger lakes or maybe its just me.

P1010194-1-1.jpg

that one put up a very memorable battle and if the hall excepts my paper work i should get a certificate and a patch soon for that one.

Tigers spawn in the fall, so you will get some variance depending on the time of year.

I found the females to be bland and dull...as you can see in the one I'm holding above the boat. The males though are darker greens, with much more markings on them. The males will get the spawning colours as Fall gets closer.

They have master angler awards for trout over 20'' in Manitoba. Tigers aren't on the list yet though. And if you fish Twin lakes regularly, you should have no problem landing a Tiger over 20''.

Eeesshhh!!... I want one of those sweeties to hand!!!...Tim, ya never invited me to come with you, Whats up??? :P...We coulda split gas, Beers, Scotch and Tigers....Oh ya, I forgot, Im damn near Broke...Never Mind... :rolleyes:

Cheers...Jeff..

Tigers spawn in the fall, so you will get some variance depending on the time of year.

I found the females to be bland and dull...as you can see in the one I'm holding above the boat. The males though are darker greens, with much more markings on them. The males will get the spawning colours as Fall gets closer.

They have master angler awards for trout over 20'' in Manitoba. Tigers aren't on the list yet though. And if you fish Twin lakes regularly, you should have no problem landing a Tiger over 20''.

Second that. The Tigers in Twin Lake become very colourful in the fall when they're spawning.

There also seems to be developing a 'top water' fishery at Twin in Fall. Apparently they are tossing poppers, etc (anything that floats and pushes a lot of water) into the reed beds and strip them back fast. The Tigers will explode out of the water for them.