Fly Fusion Forums

Your Largest Bow River Trout/char

Your largest Bow River trout  

209 members have voted

1. 1. What is the largest Trout you have caught on the Bow?

• 30+
    • 29"
    • 28"
    • 27"
    • 26"
    • 25"
    • 24"
    • 23"
    • 22"
    • 21"
    • 20"
    • 19" and under

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

bow - 26

brown - 28

brook - 13

top two were winter catches so they were snaky compared to most of your guys

Although I've caught them to 26-7", my biggest, both brown and rainbow, on the bow were 24"ers. A big 24" can really dwarf a snake 27".

Now, who's got a picture of a +30" bow river trout? No bull trout, brian. ;).

The day I caught the 32" brown my camera carrying buddy jammed out last minute...so I didn't get a photo. It was in April and the fish was a huge female of around 12-13lb. I had caught a 27" male in the same spot 3 days earlier. I thought it was going to be the same fish, but no. She was shaped just like Brian'a huge bull. All I could do was hold her up to the guys across the river. Another 25 years of fishing and maybe I'll catch her equal.

I remember being in the Carsland bar years ago and the locals were talking of 10-15lb Browns caught on bait below the weir. Back in the day when folks used half a sucker for bait.

Have pics somewhere, but my brother-in law and I fished PF after the flood in 05,at the bend. New Years Day after 3 pm. and we both landed each 2 , 18" + Browns . That was a Great Memory......He is a hardware fisher and it took me a couple of hours to pursuade him to go out. I Am From Edmonton, don't hold it against me......Thanks to the BOW.....

Dan

My longest brown...25"...

p3130055g.jpg

p3130056.jpg

Landed a 24" brown that was significantly heavier than this one; sadly, no pic.

Biggest Bow River rainbow was also 25"; again, no pic.

Here's a beautiful 23" hen...

1000560.jpg

1000559.jpg

Biggest (only) Bow River cutthroat/cuttbow...15"...

p4010918.jpg

Biggest (again, only) Bow River bull trout...about 12"...

I know ya said no bull trout but it's the biggest trout I have on camera from the bow. 33 inches (taped) and FAT! The only other one near this size was somewhere between 32+34 (brown) caught the night my first duaghter was born at about 1AM. I couldn't sleep so I hit the river and got 2 awesome prizes in one day. No picture of that one as I was about 20ft from shore when I got it to hand, and lost a grip on her as I was about 5 feet from shore... got her measured against my rod on the way but as we all know that can be slightly innacurate. I think it was near 34 but I say 32-34 becuase it got taped against rod. Also got a 30 inch bully in 2003. Biggest rainbow was 29 inches (taped) I think that was in 2004 as well.

April%201%20-%2004%20Brian%20and%2033%20Bull%20trout.jpg

Apr%2010%20-%2003%20Brian%20and%2030%20inch%20Bull%20Trout%20pic.jpg

May%2016%20-%2004%20Brian%20and%2029%20inch%20rainbow.jpg

I know ya said no bull trout but it's the biggest trout I have on camera from the bow. 33 inches (taped) and FAT! The only other one near this size was somewhere between 32+34 (brown) caught the night my first duaghter was born at about 1AM. I couldn't sleep so I hit the river and got 2 awesome prizes in one day. No picture of that one as I was about 20ft from shore when I got it to hand, and lost a grip on her as I was about 5 feet from shore... got her measured against my rod on the way but as we all know that can be slightly innacurate. I think it was near 34 but I say 32-34 becuase it got taped against rod. Also got a 30 inch bully in 2003. Biggest rainbow was 29 inches (taped) I think that was in 2004 as well.

April%201%20-%2004%20Brian%20and%2033%20Bull%20trout.jpg

Apr%2010%20-%2003%20Brian%20and%2030%20inch%20Bull%20Trout%20pic.jpg

May%2016%20-%2004%20Brian%20and%2029%20inch%20rainbow.jpg

do not believe you

On a side note, I hope we have a good Run-off this year. Last year we didn't even have dirty water, but I sure love fishing when the water is up 5 feet and it's raining like cats and dogs.... Not to mention the huge trout that lurk in the shallows!

i can't be the only one that finds it funny that there are 8 people with fish over 30", yet not a single picture. I guess everyone has a brain aneurysm when trying to get the camera to work when the fish is 30" or over!

I know I'd be a mess! hahahaha

do not believe you

you think I care? you have 2 posts on here. good for you!!!

no fish over 30 picture eh jayjj? your always a *hit disturber on threads like this ain't ya? why don't you go play with your toys and leave the men alone.

My fish are taped to fork not pinched... and my knuckles are 4.5 inches across in case your doubters. :)

you think I care? you have 2 posts on here. good for you!!!

no fish over 30 picture eh jayjj? your always a *hit disturber on threads like this ain't ya? why don't you go play with your toys and leave the men alone.

My fish are taped to fork not pinched... and my knuckles are 4.5 inches across in case your doubters. :)

hahahahha

This was probably my longest and heaviest Bow rainbow. 23 ½ as I recall. We weighed a similar rainbow that day at 5½ pounds. These were fat, as is apparent in the picture. Gettin' old. This was 1994 down by Gleichen.

clivebow1994800-0.jpg

Clive,

I don't see a scale in the photo, so I don't believe you. Or Brian. Or any of the other people who claim big fish unless I see verified visual evidence.

See, it's easy to be a professional denier. All you have to do is deny everything. All the time. It's actually more effective if you never contribute anything either, except of course the denying.

Clive,

I don't see a scale in the photo, so I don't believe you. Or Brian. Or any of the other people who claim big fish unless I see verified visual evidence.

See, it's easy to be a professional denier. All you have to do is deny everything. All the time. It's actually more effective if you never contribute anything either, except of course the denying.

sorry can you provide a picture to verify this please, I just don't beleive you.

so being new to fly fishing, I probably don't want to land anything bigger than 25 this year, I think I'll save the dirty thirty for my mid life crisis.

OH! also, I guess it's a good time to ask, anyone members of the 20/20 club? I think I'm gonna try and join this year, but it seems like something you REALLY would need to commit to.