Fly Fusion Forums

Your Largest Bow River Trout/char

Your largest Bow River trout  

209 members have voted

1. 1. What is the largest Trout you have caught on the Bow?

• 30+
    • 29"
    • 28"
    • 27"
    • 26"
    • 25"
    • 24"
    • 23"
    • 22"
    • 21"
    • 20"
    • 19" and under

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a picture of a "34 inch" Brown from the Bow - caught at Carlsland with a Buzz Bomb.

There was no tape measure in the picture. Maybe it wasn't 34 inches, but it was definitely over 30 inches.

My personal best - taped 26 inches on a Caddis, one foot from the bank below Vic's tree, August 2004.

I guided a client into a taped 28 inch brown - mouth of the Highwood, July. It was one of only two fish all day.....on a 5 inch floating Rapala.

I guided a client into a taped 28 inch brown - mouth of the Highwood, July. It was one of only 2 fish all day.....on a 5 inch floating Rapala.

ha ha right on... that seems about right. if I look at all my logs anything caught (client or myself) that was a substantially larger fish than the normal for whatever place was being fished, the catch rate for the day was fairly low... I truly believe in "big fish" days... when the smaller stuff is afraid to be out in public!!

ha ha right on... that seems about right. if I look at all my logs anything caught (client or myself) that was a substantially larger fish than the normal for whatever place was being fished, the catch rate for the day was fairly low... I truly believe in "big fish" days... when the smaller stuff is afraid to be out in public!!

So true.

On another note it is amazing what a good Spin-Fisher can do with the right gear. I've been on a few dozen trips where clients pulled out spinning rods and big lures. The action and speed of lures such as Rapalas is unmatched and can really turn fish when they're on big stuff. Flies, no matter what the design can't do what those lures can do, and there is the part of control. Rapala style flies are cool and have simliar action but they are far too difficult to control and the speed of retrieve necessary to impart action is unattainable for most anglers.

I also don't think many of the fish on the Bow have seen 'hardware' - it's new and it looks good, hence they'll eat with less caution than with the few thousand streamers they see weekly.

post-3588-1271712221.jpg

post-3585-1271478267.jpg

Here's one to drool over... the fish that is. Yes, caught with garlic marshmellow's rod (had seen very fish before this one). Bow River tributary... 31.5" absolute pig, fattest fish I've ever seen. I couldn't resist, can't have anyone thinking the bow system doesn't grow some monsters.

Dean

Same piece of water.

This thread's kind of going sideways though as it was for largest BOW river fish, although the big brown is from the bow system it is a glenmore lake fish ain't it? That's kind of like saying catching a 34 inch bull in the upper sheep system is a bow river fish too (although, it sort of is... along the same principles)

Either was our good ol' buddy and forum sh*t disturber whenever someone starts talking about big fish, canadesis, will have some smartass comment about how it's a lie and not possible... :D

This thread's kind of going sideways though as it was for largest BOW river fish, although the big brown is from the bow system it is a glenmore lake fish ain't it? That's kind of like saying catching a 34 inch bull in the upper sheep system is a bow river fish too (although, it sort of is... along the same principles)

Either was our good ol' buddy and forum sh*t disturber whenever someone starts talking about big fish, canadesis, will have some smartass comment about how it's a lie and not possible... :D

Agreed, clearly bull trout don't count.

That reminds me of one of the biggest things I've ever seen come out of the Bow... a 38 inch pike caught by Tom Windsor... though he didn't even want it and we had to twist his arm to convince him he needed a pic with the ugly ol thing! :)

Well I couldn't document my biggest fish out of the Bow so I have abstained from this one...

This weekend a local landed and measured the same bull I landed (I didn't measure or photograph) last fall (clearly is the same fish given the location, its markings, and close examination of his photo, albeit a little typical yellowing due to wintering) - measured at 26" which is pretty well what I guessed based on where it was on my rod comparison. Caught between Lake Louise and Castle - I also know another local who also landed that one last spring too.

Photo is up the Village Bar and Grill for those that require physical proof LOL