Fly Fusion Forums

New Underwater Camera

My wife bought me the 8000 for x-mas. Sweet camara but it's a pain in the ass trying to figure out how to get good indoor shots. After you figure out the settings it takes great pictures though (way better outside though). Super tough camaras though, I've dropped mine, kicked mine, submerged mine and it still looks and preforms like brand new. Very happy with this camara, it takes great under water shots too (now if I could only get the fish in the frame).

Thats my point, it may not land me on the cover of national geographic for quality, but I had to share with the board that for 200 bones, you can get a drop proof, underwater, wide angle, HD movie shootin camera.

Great price, nat bad video quality, and a pretty idiot proof point and shoot for what I need.

My son just broke my Stylus 1050 SW (scuba diving, went to 60 ft or so and said "the camera broke, I thought it was water proof?"). Anyway, I'm in the market for a new one. Looked at the Panasonic on ebay. At $475+, I think I'll pass no matter how good of pictures it takes (divorce proceedings are expensive). I may look at the Pentax Optio this time. I really like the Olympus for ease of use, but I thought the older versions took better inside shots. But for an outdoors/fishing camera you'll love it!

My son just broke my Stylus 1050 SW (scuba diving, went to 60 ft or so and said "the camera broke, I thought it was water proof?"). Anyway, I'm in the market for a new one. Looked at the Panasonic on ebay. At $475+, I think I'll pass no matter how good of pictures it takes (divorce proceedings are expensive). I may look at the Pentax Optio this time. I really like the Olympus for ease of use, but I thought the older versions took better inside shots. But for an outdoors/fishing camera you'll love it!

it actually costs $369.99 CAD from saneal camera. you can just go to the store and compare it.

I talked to a guy at one of the camera shops here in town about the new Optio w90. Cant remember which one. He was saying that the previous model the w80 was not a good camera. He had gotten a lot of bad reviews from unhappy customers. I was interested in the w90 until he told me that. He also mentioned that the Olympus models had poor picture quality. I guess it's a trade off, quality or price. He recommended the TS2 or the Canon one (not the model number). I'm hoping to get the TS2 in the next couple of months. I'd rather have picture quality and durability for the higher price. The TS2 also has a 30 ft depth, and i believe it was 10ft drop proof.

NE ways, that's my 2 cents.

Cheers,

The Optio has a great rep here, from everything I've read. Take a look at Maxwell's shots. They were shot with an Optio (unless he recently changed). Not surprising to me a camera shop guy recommended the TS2 or Canon, they are significantly more expensive. I did look at the Canon at Saneal. Nice price, but still way more than what I can get an Optio on line for. Haven't decided yet.

I talked to a guy at one of the camera shops here in town about the new Optio w90. Cant remember which one. He was saying that the previous model the w80 was not a good camera. He had gotten a lot of bad reviews from unhappy customers. I was interested in the w90 until he told me that. He also mentioned that the Olympus models had poor picture quality. I guess it's a trade off, quality or price. He recommended the TS2 or the Canon one (not the model number). I'm hoping to get the TS2 in the next couple of months. I'd rather have picture quality and durability for the higher price. The TS2 also has a 30 ft depth, and i believe it was 10ft drop proof.

NE ways, that's my 2 cents.

Cheers,

If you want quality and durability definitely go with the Panasonic. I have the original TS-1 and it's been through -40C (even though it's not rated for cold). I've even used it to film HD underwater by tying on an old fly line and lowering it down the ice hole into 30 feet of water. The photos are awesome but the HD recording is even better. When I bought mine, I went to the Camera Store and had them price match a online Best Buy sale.

Those are some nice pics you got with the olympus. My profile pic was taken with one (i think th 720) and it's no where near as clean and clear as yours....hmmm more decisions to make i guess.

Cheers

DP review did a great job testing all the underwater camera's last year. Here is the link

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterp...roup/page17.asp

That said, my research is that the new models have improved some of the issues, however, the Panasonic TS2 is still in the best rated category for picture quality, and waterproof ness

I got the D10 and so far it's tested well. Pic in my avatar was taken with it. Love being able to snorkle and play in the pool without worrying about the camera getting wreck. The large buttons are a bonus when you have big or fat or cold hands. Was able to use it with gloves on while pheasant hunting this season. Start up is fast and has lasted so far with the kids not breaking it. Basically it's a elp camera in a water/ shockproof container. It's thicker than the other cameras but fits nicely in my vest side pocket. Zoom and hd video aren't high on my list of needs so that's why I choose it. After reading the review previously, it was tops in most catergories. Sweet. You may spend a little more on a waterproof camera, but in our line of recreation, it's worth every penny. Strap it to your wrist while you're netting your buddies fish and the cameras ready to go, no fumbling around trying to find it or pull it out.

got panasonic ts-2

best underwater camera in the market right now. HD movie/wide angle

I too have been eyeing this Panasonic Camera... I had one of thier TZ3 and that thing is awesome for pic quality and zoom... but it fell in the river last week and doesnt wanna work now. go figure. time to get a waterproof one i guess hehehe