Fly Fusion Forums

What Are The More Odd Things You Have Pulled Up?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

I have heard some strange thigns over the past few months from Sturgeons in fish creek park (years ago) to paddle fish. So im wondering what some of you guys have pulled out that gave a "wtf".

The most bizzar thing i have pulled from the bow was a brookie right in the middle of the city, not much but a start

I'll throw my list in there...

While cod jigging with hand lines back in newfie - couple of sharks, human bones, various pieces of clothing, hooked into a stingray one time - that was lots of fun...

regular fishing - Bags of drowned kittens and puppies - yep gross. a beaver - that's a fun one. muskrat. hooked a gopher on the fly one time - they aren't so sweet when being reeled in but have a nice fight to them (not to sound cruel). We used to fish for seagulls - yep, they get pretty cross too :)

When i was in grade six our class went on a camping trip to some pot hole lake in the mountains, i forget the name.

Me and a buddy went fishing it was slow, in fact we did'nt hook up with any fish that day.

At the end of the day he got snagged, he had a heavy rod and line so he kept pulling, and the snag started to move.

Forty minutes later we had a good size doe on shore, i'll never forget when that deer head first emerged from that lake, that was something else.

Caught a rainbow on the Highwood 25 years ago that had the loop of a snelled hook sticking out of his mouth. The fly had managed to slip right into that loop. Also a muskrat, two mallards (losing track of a caddis pattern at night on the Bow), one cutt and one brookie here in the city. Pretty normal stuff judging by everyone else.

I have caught clams while lake fishing in alberta. You can actually feel them strike - weird. Also a Crawfish pinched a streamer on me once in the NSR, wouldn't let go.

I think I may have hooked a willow tree on my backcast once too but I can't remember for sure :)

Not caught,but a pond in BC I go to every summer to fish for perch has been taken over by pond koi......someone has put their pet fish in and they have been there 2 years now.Hopefully I can catch one this summer and post pics.Also while ice fishing at a at lake in BC we had a muskrat come through the hole....panic and dive back in.....scared the #@*& out of me.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i got a fish in the same way flyslinger, this lake fish had a bait rig in his face and the skin had all grown around it forming a mono loop off his right side and my fly got the loop. So i guess i actually returned him back to the water better than before with no new pokes and i less rig in his face lol.

When I was a kid, we used to go out to Cross Lake in N. Alberta every May Long weekend to do some pike fishing. Lake used to be so clear you could see the Pike swimming around the piers of the boat dock.

The Lake was quickly over fished, and one year when we came back, the boat dock was easily half the length it used to be and the water was dirty as all get out. Chucking a spoon off the dock, I managed to hook and land, the windshield from a boat. Still the weirdest thing that I've ever caught on a fishing line.