Fly Fusion Forums

Net Question

Heimdallr

I'm looking into buying a new rubber mesh net and I had a couple questions. I was originally looking into getting either a Brodin Ghost Gallatin or a Fisknat San Juan. I've heard almost nothing but good things about the Brodin Ghost nets, but has anyone tried the Fisknat nets? My other question is Bass Pro Shops has a comparable Frabill net for SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. Here's the net: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...5003000_175-3-5

Has anyone tried these? Also, does anyone know if the Calgary Bass Pro carries these?

Thanks for any help.

Which ever net you decide to get may I suggest that you try and get one with as long a handle as you are comfortable with (pontoon size, woul dbe my reco)... Can still be attached to a vest, but makes it WAY easier to land fish...

P

I'm looking into buying a new rubber mesh net and I had a couple questions. I was originally looking into getting either a Brodin Ghost Gallatin or a Fisknat San Juan. I've heard almost nothing but good things about the Brodin Ghost nets, but has anyone tried the Fisknat nets? My other question is Bass Pro Shops has a comparable Frabill net for SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. Here's the net: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...5003000_175-3-5

Has anyone tried these? Also, does anyone know if the Calgary Bass Pro carries these?

Thanks for any help.

I've had the Fisknat San Juan for a couple years now. I have to admit that I don't carry it as often as I used to though because I find myself either tailing fish or just sliding my hand down the leader to pop the hook out. It is a great net and I heard that Fisknat is using newer net bags that are lighter than the one I have. I couldn't see myself getting a different net, but I would consider replacing my bag with the lighter one. It's very durable and has stood up to a lot of punishment. Personally, I wouldn't get one with a long handle as I never fish out of a boat or pontoon and the longer handle would just add unnecessary weight and get caught up on more things when walking through brush.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm probably going to go with a regular (shorter) handle just for backpacking/portability purposes. I do fish from a pontoon on occasion but I will probably just do what I did with my last net and attach a longer handle when needed. It's nice to know that the Fisknat is durable as that is important for me.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

if yuo doing a lot of backpacking and are tooking to reduce weight then why not the Carbon Fiber one from WJ

I love the longer handled nets. I use a med/long moby and its great for fish of all sizes

I assume you're talking about the wave net. I'm not really so much looking to dramatically reduce weight as I don't really need the bulk of a long handle. My reasoning for not like the wave is primarily because I think it looks ugly, but also because I'm looking to get a net with a rubber bag.

ive ibn using fisknat for 3+ year now and love em! super duper nets imho! durable, dont harm the fish etc.. all the good stuff rubber has too offer.. also u can get em re meshed (after 300+ guide days she started too split in a few spots from ripping out of the bushes...) frishtales carries em, its were i picked mine up!.. totally sold on the 2 nets i got and im looking at getting one for my driftbooat this summer!

why not support them, they're board sponsors..

I guess my message sounded negative towards Country Pleasures and it wasn't meant to. I live in Red Deer and I'm thinking of coming into Calgary on Sunday and I want to check out a Brodin Ghost net, but CP is closed on Sundays. That's all, not a vendetta against them or anything.

ive ibn using fisknat for 3+ year now and love em! super duper nets imho! durable, dont harm the fish etc.. all the good stuff rubber has too offer.. also u can get em re meshed (after 300+ guide days she started too split in a few spots from ripping out of the bushes...) frishtales carries em, its were i picked mine up!.. totally sold on the 2 nets i got and im looking at getting one for my driftbooat this summer!

Good to know, I like Fishtales a lot. Do you have the ones with the new lighter bags? If so, do you notice a significant difference is weight?

Bass Pro did not have the Frabil Rubber net when I was there last year so I just had my local Fly Shop oder one in from the U.S. I thought the Rubber would make it heavy, but it really isn't. Also, I am really impressed with it's durability especially because the mesh does not fall apart like the cloth type.

Here's a shot of the net in action:

Nov11097.jpg