Fly Fusion Forums

Wire Worm Help

SanJuanWorm

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

its a catch 22! heavy wire makes for more weight but kills your hands and thin wire wont be the same weight but its is way easier to spin with

hope this helps

I've been loading a old steel bobbin with a thread spool of wire (24gauge) and that seems to work pretty good. I haven't tyed a huge quantity like this but I bent a couple dozen with still wire left on the spool. Seems as good as it gets, at least for me.

dont grip so hard... lol. put the sjw hook in a vice, grab about 3 feet of wire and clip it, then start wrapping but use the force of your hand going around the vice to tighten instead of "pulling it" tight.. you can also try a pair of thin gloves with some kind of a rubber grip. I tied up 2k of them once in about a week... it was harsh.. :)

What can I do to save my fingers n thumb from tying up wire worms? I do this every year until my thumb and fingers are raw. Any way of saving them? I have 500 worms to tie.

Dave

I use a small pair of needle nose to grip the tag end then use a loaded up bobbin to lash em on.

Seems to save on the finger thrashing.

Dave

What can I do to save my fingers n thumb from tying up wire worms? I do this every year until my thumb and fingers are raw. Any way of saving them? I have 500 worms to tie.

Dave

Some people put bandage on their thumb and index finger.

I like to these flies in rotating vise, as then you only need to grab the wire and it also loads the shank more evenly.

I said three feet of wire assuming you guys are interested in production tying. Why spend all night cutting wire? 3ft is manageable, and gets you about 5 to 10 or even 20 flies depending on what size your tying. I tie the basic wire SJW in all sizes, from a #2 all the way down to a #20 (though once they get past about #16 I start calling them bloodworms).