Fly Fusion Forums

Andros Christmas Bones.

Ayr

Looking for some relief from the extreme cold in Alberta, my wife and I left on Christmas day on a two week siesta, in search of better weather and, some bonefish on the fly!! What more can I say; we found some! We were guided by two very good local guides in flats boats, but wading opportunities are also available. Hope you enjoy the pics.

DSC06994.jpg

DSC07190.jpg

DSC07049.jpg

DSC07013.jpg

The bones are very strong for their size and it was common for them to take all of your fly-line and significant backing, seconds after being hooked. Looooong reel screaming runs became music to my ears on the Bahamian flats. The bigger bones that we caught (5-7 lbs), would take all of your fly line and most of your backing, sometimes 2-3 times per fish. There are larger bones here (10+ lbs), but we'll have to get those on the next trip......

DSC07204.jpg

DSC07012.jpg

DSC07207.jpg

DSC07235.jpg

DSC07029.jpg

It was really fun to see my wife and my father both land their first bones too!

DSC07048.jpg

DSC07046.jpg

Nice fish = big smile.

DSC07214.jpg

DSC07037.jpg

DSC07236.jpg

There were several other species available, even though we targeted the bones we still connected with Needlefish, Barracuda, Snapper, and small Jacks. Sharks are a regular sighting and can be targeted if you like.

DSC07066.jpg

DSC07079.jpg

DSC07073.jpg

Our first experience with the Andros bones was a blast. Knock on wood, it won't be the last!

DSC07246.jpg

DSC07202.jpg

DSC07201.jpg

Some great pics and some nice chunky bones.........I haven't been to Andros (yet) but have fished in Aabaco, Cuba and Belize......You just gotta love the strength to size ratio for those fish........I am always amazed, even by the smaller Belizean bones, by how fast and strong they are........Have the tarpon bug at moment so heading to Belize in a couple of months to sight fish for those.......Different fight but pound for pound nothing beats a bonefish in my opinion.......

Thanks for the comments guys/gals.

Regarding the weather; the first five or six days were beautiful 27-29C, then the cold front that hit the southern US hit us also, as Andros is just 50 miles south off the Florida coast. The temps dropped to between 16-20C, and with the wind in the morning, on the water, it was pretty chilly for a few days. The fishing seemed the best a couple days after the cold front, which is why I have the heavy stuff on in the majority of the pics. Towards the last couple of days of our stay, it did warm up a few degrees.

Even on the "cold" days, comparing it with icefishing in Alberta was comforting.

Ayr.

Some great pics and some nice chunky bones.........I haven't been to Andros (yet) but have fished in Aabaco, Cuba and Belize......You just gotta love the strength to size ratio for those fish........I am always amazed, even by the smaller Belizean bones, by how fast and strong they are........Have the tarpon bug at moment so heading to Belize in a couple of months to sight fish for those.......Different fight but pound for pound nothing beats a bonefish in my opinion.......

Agreed the strength and speed of the bones put them in a class of their own. Seems reasonable to get the tarpon bug, they look like great sport, good luck in Belize! Golden Dorado have caught my attention lately..........still love the bones though, can't wait for next time!!

Ayr.