Fly Fusion Forums

Morning Or Evening ?

Morning or Evening - pref ?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference this year

• Morning
    • Evening

Last season I was all about mornings - pretty well every day off I was coffee in hand and on my way by 4:30-5:00am - Fishing was consistently good but I found it exhausting to get up so early, hike 5-10km then be home early aft for all the normal domestic pleasantries such as shopping, chores, visiting friends & family, etc etc.

This year I decided to focus on evenings and as a result I am spending much more time on the water - I find it easier to get out after work without feeling exhausted the next day - in the last 14 days I have fished 13 times, a frequency that would have killed me when I fished mornings.

I find the quality of fishing similar but in terms of quantitiy the evenings are now my preference and my journal and numbers clearly relect that.

Depends on what I'm fishing..... cutts I prefer evenings same with rainbows, bulls I like mornings, brookies mornings, browns I like evenings....... not sure why i have found different fish to be more active at different times but it seems to me char like to feed early and trout like to feed late....... but that said I would have to say evenings are my favorite..... But my favorite of all is to start before sunrise and finish up after sunset...... But I often burn out early as my workload is pretty high this year and the long days are getting to wear me out.

Why do I prefer fishin' for cutts and huntin' big horn sheep? Because they keep bankers hours.....they ain't out and about until 10 AM went things start to warm up in the high country. Other than fishing any time I can I like fishing from about 4pm till dark.

I must say when I saw the topic of this poll fishing didn't even cross my mind. All you guys that did think the poll was about fishing should go out and buy the wife some flowers and cook her dinner tonight. Oh, by the way I prefer early morning, twoish or so! ;)

I am a firm believer in fishing the "most pleasant time of of day". The theory is what ever part of the day is most comfortable to be out there is also the best time of day to be fishing,,,, and it does some merit as water temps will usually be conducive to more active fish then. Here in Alberta, that usually means evenings in the summer (however during the hottest dog days of July and August, mornings can be better),,,,, and mid day during spring and fall.

Am I asleep? Am I at work? Do I have the kids? If all three answers are no, it's time to fish. That said, my basic experience is that the most productive time for fishing is generally from about 0900 to 1300. Lots of exceptions, but over the year that seems to be consistently the best for me.

I really had some good fishing in the mornings, particularly when the water was still high. And since it is the only time I can consistently get out without any interference from my significant other, I have to say mornings. But after my first couple of evening/night trips, I may have to reconsider. Though I may have to find my wife a boyfriend.....

There is nothing better than being on the river at 3:30am and fishing as the sun comes up...it's just spectacular.

As was said above though - it's awfully tough to do it frequently because it's exhausting.