Fly Fusion Forums

100 Fish Day

What difference does it make if I catch 100 fish in a week or in a day? Should my limit be a yearly one to limit KILL?

If I'm having a great day, I'm not going to stop because of fish mortality. I accept the fact that my chosen activity has consequences to the fish. If it really bothered me I wouldn't fish. Doesn't make me feel good that some of them die no matter how hard I try to treat them as well as I know how. But it doesn't, and I can't see it ever, make me feel so bad that I'll stop.

If you want to set personal daily limits, that is fine. It is a noble position to take. I'm not that noble, and I suspect I'm not alone.

Excellent post!!!

C&R or not, fishing is a blood sport.

You have good days and you have great days. If you're having a great day, enjoy it because those little buggers will go back to ignoring your fly next week anyway.

What difference does it make if I catch 100 fish in a week or in a day? Should my limit be a yearly one to limit KILL?

If I'm having a great day, I'm not going to stop because of fish mortality. I accept the fact that my chosen activity has consequences to the fish. If it really bothered me I wouldn't fish. Doesn't make me feel good that some of them die no matter how hard I try to treat them as well as I know how. But it doesn't, and I can't see it ever, make me feel so bad that I'll stop.

If you want to set personal daily limits, that is fine. It is a noble position to take. I'm not that noble, and I suspect I'm not alone.

Right on RICKR

I could have had 100+ fish days but I don't bother to get to that point because it gets a little boring after a while. It's too easy, I personally find it more rewarding putting in the effort to fish difficult streams and trout.

See, I don't have the slightest issue with that viewpoint. I don't necessarily share it, because I don't think I've ever been bored catching fish. Totally a to each his own thing. You stated your opinion without trying to beat everyone over the head with your moral superiority, unlike the notable exception that started this whole post!

I've had lots and lots of 100+ fish days. I've even had some 200+ fish days. I also got shut out on the crow yesterday except for one whitefish that decided to take pity on me in the sideways sownstorm that nailed us. Does that make up for the 100+ fish days?

It all averages out. Skilled guys will maybe average 20-30 fish / day.. per day they spend per year, on all bodies of water they fish. Unskilled guys will average a lot less.

Are you trying to say that people who are skilled should stop fishing so much? :P lol.

This post really has no point. Which is why I posted in jest.

Is it april yet? anyone wanna meet me at the highwood confluence? :P

Now comes the Bullet!

:derby racer:

Most of these are C&R waters.

I know we all take the utmost care in reviving and releasing and that they all swim away.

Studies show on average we KILL between 3 to 5%, are we then any better than someone taking 3 to 5 fish out of that same water?

Shouldn't we be more responsible and limit the amount we try to catch?

:fish_jump:

With all due respect – this is ridiculous.

Posting a request for people to discuss their fishing achievements on a fishing board and then slamming them for one of the markers in our sport…. Shouldn’t you be posting on PETA? - you might get more friends there.

I suspect that by posting here you are barking up the wrong tree with your nobility. We all know about the mortality rates of hooked fish - it is part of our sport - much better live catch and release percentage than deer hunting...

I am not ashamed to admit that I have had, if not 100+ fish days, then damned close, but your elitist dry fly single hook only rhetoric doesn’t hold much water with me.

As a side note you are getting up in the posts that people are added to this thread. Congrats on that if it was your goal. ;mornCoffee:

I knew that this question would raise some contraversy. I know a lot of people can tell you how many, how big, on what fly, what the water temps are, what the barometric pressure is and so on. Sorry I don't. I just enjoy the experience and the place. These are the true memories to me. I just want to ensure through my efforts that my children and grandchildren have the same or better opportunities that I have come to enjoy through this wonderful sport.

Hey 420 shut the hell up! that creek in Banff is secret!!! You've revealed to much!!..........To respond to the post ya i've caught 100 fish in 1 day on a creek in Banff actually all three of us did and im pretty sure the only ones that died are the 6 a day we ate for the 5 days we camped. but i've reveled to much already!

Hey 420,

I'd be interested to find out the name of the Ranger (Warden) that gave you this advice as the NP Fishing Regs clearly state that it is "Unlawful" to Allow your catch to spoil or to be wasted. So by giving you this advise he/she was breaking the law - whether they were native or otherwise I would think... Now if these brookies were the ones that you ate, great, but if you actually threw them in the bushes they gave you bad advise and the next Warden by could have busted you (I would think)!!

P

P.S. Not trying to start anything just curious...

The place i hit 100/day the ranger asked me to pitch all the brookies in the woods over my shoulder so the natives have more food and less comp....

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

it was a joke by him....that many dead brookies would pull in WAY too many bears lol

but your right Tlover, im done, mouth zipped lol

I knew that this question would raise some contraversy. I know a lot of people can tell you how many, how big, on what fly, what the water temps are, what the barometric pressure is and so on. Sorry I don't. I just enjoy the experience and the place. These are the true memories to me. I just want to ensure through my efforts that my children and grandchildren have the same or better opportunities that I have come to enjoy through this wonderful sport.

Just go back to your original post. Then scroll down to where you start slaggin on folks. Then answer me one thing......did you mean to become a complete A-hole or was this a joke.

Seriously this thread is why people get banned. Don't start this crap. If you have beliefs you have to recognize that most others have their own. You're unique just like everyone else. We don't need your BS fishing religion. I've been fishing well over 30 years. I've never had a bad day fishing.

If you think i'm being harsh feel free to PM me over this matter and we can discuss it in private.

This thread is over.