Fly Fusion Forums

Jasper, Sept. Long Weekend...

SteveM

Spent the weekend in Jasper National Park; fished Maligne Lake on Saturday & Medicine Lake on Sunday. Fishing was a little slow, but caught some beautiful brookies & the hardest fighting rainbows I've ever had the pleasure of tussling with! First time I've been to Jasper; man, have I been missing out! The scenery between Banff & Jasper is frickin' incredible- I was awestruck!

Here's a few pics of my weekend...

My friend's 18' freighter canoe @ the dock @ Maligne; it's an old cedar-strip that Randy fiberglassed & set up for fishing Maligne...

p9050925.jpg

Randy, trolling on Maligne...

49558.jpg

We shared the lake with this family of fishermen...

49568.jpg

Looking up the lake...

p9050942.jpg

Fish on!!!

49498.jpg

My first Maligne Lake brookie...

p9050928.jpg

The release...

p9050930.jpg

A little later, a bigger one...

49538.jpg

Notice the plastic disc on the line next to the fly; it gives the fly a wiggle when it's trolled...

49518.jpg

No release pic for this trout...

49598.jpg

He was delicious, hot off the BBQ!!!

Bobloblaw,

Looks like you had one steller of a trip, good on you, and I hate to admit it but you are one of the few people I have always wanted to get out with.

Keep posting the aswome shot, I know I have much enjoyed looking and reading of all your adventures.

Sunday morning: hit the bakery @ 6am for coffee & fresh, hot cinnamon buns- then, off to Medicine lake.

Randy hoofs it up the lake...

p9060948.jpg

49669.jpg

Harebells...

p9060950.jpg

Lichen...

p9060982.jpg

Reinold (sp?) & Randy @ Medicine; the darker blue is the river channel, where we fished...

49749.jpg

49739.jpg

Wasn't long before I had a 16" rainbow nail my bloodworm; hardest fighting 16" fish I've ever caught! Medicine rainbows are frickin' rockets!!!

p9060953.jpg

Followed up with a 16" brookie; fairly rare in that part of Medicine, I'm told...

49729.jpg

Fooled by a white/black Clouser Minnow...

49719.jpg

Weather was very unsettled, with rain off & on, and wind completely reversing direction several times. Fished to some rising fish in between

the nasty stuff; managed a few on dries, including this 15"er that went aerial several times & fought like crazy. These 'bows are something else!

p9060981.jpg

As I was stripping my Clouser, I saw a big, dark shape appear behind it; I watched as a big brookie ate my streamer 10 feet from my rod tip.

I set the hook & the fight was on; with 14lb fluoro tippet, I got him to the net pretty quickly...

19" Medicine Lake brookie...

p9060964.jpg

p9060961.jpg

p9060978.jpg

p9060965.jpg

p9060967.jpg

p9060968.jpg

p9060969.jpg

p9060973.jpg

BTW, for anyone concerned about the well-being of this trout: (1) he was landed quickly, on heavy tippet (2) the pics were snapped quickly, and (3) when he hit the water, he was gone like a shot. Thanks for caring, though. ;)

It was real nice to meet FFC member Ayr on the water. Thanks, Ayr, for the tips on Medicine; I'll be sure to try them when I go back later this month or next month. And I'll use those Maligne Lake tips when I go back in June; that's right, I have 2 trips in the planning stages! I can't believe I've been missing out on Jasper all these years; got a lot of catching up to do!

One last pic; a stud & his harem...

p9060986.jpg

Many thanks to my fellow forum members who PM'ed me info on Maligne & Medicine last week; y'all are solid dudes!

Keep on keepin' on!!!

Steve,

It was good to run into you and the buds in Jasper. Thanks for sharing the pics, you've got some good ones there! Good luck to you, if you get out that way again, I will look forward to the next time we cross paths.

Oh, and nice Medicine Brookie, that's a beauty!

Ayr.

• 1 month later...