Fly Fusion Forums

Mid Range 5Wt?

Hi there,

In the market for a mid-range 5wt and looking for any recommendations? Currently looking at a G Loomis Pro 4X or Douglas DXF. Can't afford to go top end, even though I fish a lot. That said, saw a Sage One on sale for $700.

Thanks in advance.

You're probably going to get 10 guys who own TFO rods tell you to get a BVK and same goes with other fly rod brands. But none of those people are you and might not have the same rod preferences. The better option is to go to one of the fly shops in Calgary and tell them your price range, where you plan on using it, etc. and they'll grab the rods that best match your criteria for you to test for yourself so you can pick the rod that best suits you.

• Like 6

I have a 10' BVK specifically for chironomiding. Got it at dealer price. Works great. But I'd be hard pressed to pay full retail for it.

I also have numerous Scott (SAS, G3, STS, SVS all older models) and Loomis (IMX, IM6, GLX, Pro4x) rods.

There really is no comparison with any of these to a BVK

Buy the 'best' you can afford at the time of the purchase. Then you won't question your decision later.

You're probably going to get 10 guys who own TFO rods tell you to get a BVK and same goes with other fly rod brands. But none of those people are you and might not have the same rod preferences. The better option is to go to one of the fly shops in Calgary and tell them your price range, where you plan on using it, etc. and they'll grab the rods that best match your criteria for you to test for yourself so you can pick the rod that best suits you.

BC is correct but I'd echo DHurst's suggestion and cast the Orvis Recon as one of the short list. Amazing rod for the dollar.

Hi there,

In the market for a mid-range 5wt and looking for any recommendations? Currently looking at a G Loomis Pro 4X or Douglas DXF. Can't afford to go top end, even though I fish a lot. That said, saw a Sage One on sale for $700.

Thanks in advance.

I've got the pro4x in a 4 weight and really like it for dry fly fishing. It's a sweet stick for the price. Have never cast the 5 weight. Their warranty program is a bit of a pain in the ass - when I bought I had a "wildcard", which was essentially a one-time no fault free of charge replacement guarantee. They discontinued the program (after I had bought!) and they didn't honour the wildcard. I had to pay a good chunk >$100 to get the rod fixed. So you would want to read up on whatever their current warranty program is.

That said, it only broke because it got stepped on in the boat. I have broken my 6 weight bvk at least once in every section. It's now a Frankenstein of various blanks.

theres a reason why so many people have and like them, just saying

:)

Hardy has a new rod out called the Jet. It is a softer action rod than a lot of these new expensive fast action rods. I think its a great rod but thats me many would hate it because they are not used to slowing down their cast and allowing the tip to load properly. The biggest pro to a slower action rod i find is you dont need to get 30' of line out the tip just to start to get a load.