Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Celebs

So there are plenty of well-known people who fly fish, but not everyone knows they do. A few I know off the top of my head...

Eric Clapton

Tom Selleck (you know this if you've ever been into West Winds)

Henry Winkler

Tiger Woods

Winston Churchill

Herbert Hoover

Also, Obama went fly fishing for the first time a couple weeks ago, though I wouldn't call him a fly fisherman. Any more that anyone knows of?

Mark O Meara (sp?) was in Smithers steelheading last september. He was in the same motel/lodge I was, although only his "security" came down to the fire for drinks, hilariously enough I had no idea who he was, I figured he was a race car driver, his heavy found that hilarious.

Mark O Meara (sp?) was in Smithers steelheading last september. He was in the same motel/lodge I was, although only his "security" came down to the fire for drinks, hilariously enough I had no idea who he was, I figured he was a race car driver, his heavy found that hilarious.

Mark got another golfer into fly fishing early in his career also - a guy named Eldrick. Funny story about Tiger fishing here http://www.flyrodreel.com/node/12469

When I went into Bow River Troutfitters earlier this summer, they were playing an old video of Jack Nicklaus fly fishing. You may have seen it. As I was looking around, I kept looking up and jack was fighting a huge fish (for 10= minutes). Finally the guide said something to him, next thing you know the fish either breaks off or gets off and Jack looks about as pissed as i've ever seen someone - quite a competitor.

Edit - not quite on topic but I remembered reading this story from a year ago:

James George Aylwin Creighton lies in an unmarked grave in an Ottawa cemetery...but he was the captain of the first organized team in 1877.

In 1877, the so-called "Montreal Rules" for hockey were published by the Metropolitan Club of Montreal, supervised by Creighton, the athletic club's secretary. "Sport emerges when we have rules and we have regulations and we codify this and we have set the size of the playing field," said Matthew Barlow, who teaches a course on Montreal sports history at Concordia University. "Creighton was the driving force behind this.

Creighton, who played with the sons of Lord Stanley - the man behind the Stanley Cup - ended up in Ottawa . He died of a heart attack in 1930 at the fabled Rideau Club." his obituary recorded Creighton's interests as"fly fishing, reading and skating. . . . They didn't mention hockey."

The guy invents organized hockey, but his obit mentions he liked fly fishing only - that cracked me up

Funny story about Tiger fishing here http://www.flyrodreel.com/node/12469

That's a pretty good story. I guess the other thing to mention is that Tiger also casts the two-handed rod :devil: I saw somewhere that he has around 20 rods and reels, but then again with his money I'd have way more than that.

I've also seen it mentioned that some other guys like Harrison Ford and Woody Harrelson fly fish, but I don't know if it was just a one time thing or they're regulars.

How about all the hockey players that do it....I swear I"ve seen a Flame or two on the river over the past few years.

John Travolta fly fishes...wonder if he busts a move while he's doing it. Kinda goes hand in hand when you're a pilot and you can fly to some of the best fly fishing places in the world.

Our salmon fishing guide told us that Eric Clapton is a frequent visitor to the QCI's as well - guess he's quite the avid salmon fisher.