Fly Fusion Forums

Loosing Lots Of Big Fish

reevesr1

Finally got a chance to try out some of the techniques I learned on this thread. Got out to the Bow, really just working on casting as much as anything as the water was still pretty muddy. Ended up hooking 6 in about an hour. Lost one on a bad hookset, one on the swing and I just missed him, and one I let get below me when I could have kept up with him. The other three I really worked on keeping the rod high, following them down stream, and working the rod more agressively side to side to keep the fish off balance. Results were a brown just over 20, a 18" bow and a really fat 15" brown. Awesome morning!

Also, Max told me about a guy he took out from Texas recently who sight casts to redfish. Said the guy hooked a lot of fish and was having a hard time landing them (sound familiar). I started thinking that since in saltwater where I fished, there were rarely obstacles in the water and no current, so there was little reason to take the fight to the fish. All you had to do was wear him out, which with some species can take awhile. But in a river, they have too many things helping. So on the three I caught, I fought them very agressively when they were not actively running. Time will tell whether that is coincidence or a good tactic, but I will keep using it.

Thanks to all!!