Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Rowing

Random question of the day.

I'm interested in seeing how people switch who is on the sticks to keep it "fair". Here's what I've got so far:

1. set time - ding, one hour is up time to switch. If this is your option of choice what time do you use? Seems fair, but how to account for the times that everyone is out wading, and who really wants to take a stopwatch with them?

2. set distance - hey we're a third of the way, time to switch. Seems fair but what if some water is better than others, and really difficult to do on a float on new water.

3. fish on - fish to the boat = your turn on the sticks. Equalizes the good water, but on a slow day it could result in sore arms for someone! Also how do you deal with that tricky doubleheader?

Any ideas or combinations of ideas are welcome.

Disclaimer: This is clearly overanalysis, but it's just what i do!

Thanks

CC

couple bends then switch! regardless of the fish.... equal chance at equal water.. the switch when u get a fish can suck.... for me sometimes... but i like the 3 good riffle run pool tailout deal! or what i like most.. do a short float and crush every square foot on foot!

Mike and I do 1.5 hours at a time. It works out really well and even steven for the 22x to Mac float when the water is at normal flows. That doesn't count stop times, but we always seem to know when to switch based on where we are in the water (i.e. rower gets the fisher's seat at the bend right before Policeman's Flats).

I used to think "fish on and landed" was a good rule for switching, but then I'd be spending most of my time in the rower's seat <--poke--<

I like watching people catch fish so I don't mind rowing until we pull over to fish a run. I like rowing.

Well then....do I have a job for you.

I guarantee that you wouldn't have that opinion if you were in our boat for a few hours. Rowing is an evil necessity and I don't particularly like it. It's the main reason we're likely going to buy a drift boat next year.