Try contacting Jim Stelfox.

Jim Stelfox

Senior Fisheries Biologist, Southern Rockies Area

Fish and Wildlife Division, Alberta Sustainable Resource Development

Box 1420, Room 228, 2nd floor, Provincial Building

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada T4C 1B4

Tel 403/851-2205, Fax 403/932-2158

Jim.Stelfox@gov.ab.ca

Poaching has been very hard on this population. Hopefully there is enough left to count.

is it really "poaching" or in reality ..."ignorance" pertaining to lack of knowledge on how to tell the difference between a 'Bull Trout' or any other specie of Trout?..Remember Calgary herself has grown rapidly bringing new not so knowledgeable ppl to her, who are fishers, but never seen what Bull Trout looks like...............................Wolfie

It's my opinion that when there is ample information and pictures in the regulations that ignorance is not a good enough excuse. It is easy enough to do a little research prior to fishing in a new/unknown area. I have to do it when I go to a new province or state to fish. I don't think it is too much to ask. In addition there has been evidence of people targeting these bulls as they begin to group up prior to spawning. It is a matter of respecting the resource. Respect in general seems to be in a little bit of short supply these days.

Is it acceptable to shoot a mule deer with a whitetail deer tag because you have not learned the difference?

In addition there has been evidence of people targeting these bulls as they begin to group up prior to spawning. It is a matter of respecting the resource.

I think we can all agree to delete the link of spawning areas then? Not something that should be just given away with no effort

I think we can all agree to delete the link of spawning areas then? Not something that should be just given away with no effort

Bullshit.... hiding and secrets just makes them much more vulnerable, over the yrs I've come to realize one thing, more people more eyes. FYI for everyone, the OMR bulls are early spawners and are beginning to spawn right now in their primary stream 49° 57.852'N 114° 28.187'W

Oh...is there such a link in here..would be interested to see if your trouts spawn the same time as elsewhere..beside is that link only offered to members?...................Wolfie

Bullshit.... hiding and secrets just makes them much more vulnerable, over the yrs I've come to realize one thing, more people more eyes. FYI for everyone, the OMR bulls are early spawners and are spawning right now in their primary stream 49° 57.852'N 114° 28.187'W

I say look at this post or better yet don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was a big thread about targeting spawning fish, last fall and the consensus was, do not do it .. well this is a blatant example of that.. and it is not like it is an example of a great Rainbow pool, or some fat browns and there is a ton of Bows, and Browns there, it is a few Bull trout and they are spawning ...

I agree in principle with getting eyes on fish to keep poachers away, this however is not the right way to do it IMHO..

I think it would be like the Citizens On Patrol program, but at the entrance to the neighborhood, and the exit to the jail posting the contents of the homes and when people will be away, and even the schedule of the C.O.P. patrols...counter productive.. and miss-guided..good heart'd but miss-guided...

and yes the Kettle (me) would pull this hot pot (post) from another certain BB

i removed the link.

if someone wants it you can msg me and i would be glad to send it,

as long as your not a new member with no posts.

The link is not the problem now the Directions that are given by Taco, the well meaning miss-guided old fart, is a bigger issue and the problem now...

I say again - I agree in principle to what he is trying to do, get eyes on fish, but not this way and this place..

The link is not the problem now the Directions that are given by Taco, the well meaning miss-guided old fart, is a bigger issue and the problem now...

I say again - I agree in principle to what he is trying to do, get eyes on fish, but not this way and this place..

You know about sex and travel Ray???

You know about sex and travel Ray???

any better response then that Taco ?

BTW right back at you Big guy....

How ever in the spirit of lets try to fix the problem and not just bitch and complain or bicker back and forth... ...

Have you tried to get a river keeper on that section of the river, or anything else as a way of getting Good eyes on the fish.. or is this your first attempt at providing protection for the fish, just asking.. do not want to put you off your good work, but there must be a more efficient way to do it ...

Hey sorry guys, this wasn't the point of my post. I was actually wondering if there was an angler creel survey, because the portion of the Elbow upstream of Calgary is catch and release now to protect the Bulls. I thought I'd heard or read somewhere that TU or Alberta Environment was taking information regarding Bulls caught and released on the river.

Oh sweet, I didn't realize that the Elbow was catch and release upstream of 22 now. Looks like one of my letters to Jim made a difference. :) I caught nothing but bulls (mostly small) in the foothills, so the changes to the regs are a good thing.

Oh sweet, I didn't realize that the Elbow was catch and release upstream of 22 now. Looks like one of my letters to Jim made a difference. :) I caught nothing but bulls (mostly small) in the foothills, so the changes to the regs are a good thing.

kOGSp6ggz69ODmv2Fkb831sVN3c0.gif..thought is was "mandatory" in Alberta that it catch and release when it came to Bulls, or am I mistaken............. :blink: Wolfie

kOGSp6ggz69ODmv2Fkb831sVN3c0.gif..thought is was "mandatory" in Alberta that it catch and release when it came to Bulls, or am I mistake............. :blink: Wolfie

They made it catch and release for all species because most people don't know the difference between a bull trout and a sucker.

They made it catch and release for all species because most people don't know the difference between a bull trout and a sucker.
Yeah it's more cost effective to change the regulations than hire more field officers. Now the bulls will be under more pressure from the brook trout, can't win for losing sometimes.