Fly Fusion Forums

Heading Up The Ftr

I'm off to do some exploring next week on the FTR from Cochrane north. Not sure how far I'll venture but I have a full week. I'm wondering if anyone has any reports of hazards in any areas (other than the normal stuff) that I should keep in mind? i.e. frequent bear sightings, cougar sightings, sasquatch, etc.

Gorby?...lol...havn't heard that term since bumming around Banff in the '80's...definition...tourist, newbie, n'er doweller, rubber necking freakazoid...you will know one when you see one...I may daytrip up the FTR on Saturday, I'll update later with any unusual events...

The main hazard this weekend will be the one the fish will be feeling. Apparently the temperatures are going to hit the 30's, and there is already an advisory not to fish the streams on the Eastern slopes.

It would be my advice not to fish the ES streams this weekend, but if you must, you should fish them very early.

Myself, I will be fishing outside Alberta.

Somebody do me a favor though, and get some pics of all of the 'stewards of the wilderness' fly fishers out there this weekend who choose to ignore the advisory.

The main hazard this weekend will be the one the fish will be feeling. Apparently the temperatures are going to hit the 30's, and there is already an advisory not to fish the streams on the Eastern slopes.

It would be my advice not to fish the ES streams this weekend, but if you must, you should fish them very early.

Myself, I will be fishing outside Alberta.

Somebody do me a favor though, and get some pics of all of the 'stewards of the wilderness' fly fishers out there this weekend who choose to ignore the advisory.

Your my hero

water temps on the FTR up form cochrane have been no where near dangerous levels, I would be surprised if you find water over 16c this week. Even when we had that bit of heat week ago water temps weren't over 15c on my thermometer

water temps on the FTR up form cochrane have been no where near dangerous levels, I would be surprised if you find water over 16c this week. Even when we had that bit of heat week ago water temps weren't over 15c on my thermometer

Do you want to put some money on that?

Damn gorbies. Ummm...what's a gorbie?

http://www.billcasselman.com/cwod_archive/gorby.htm

If in doubt about water temps spring for a good fishing thermometer and quit fishin @ about 20-21 degrees C but if you stick to the higher elevation streams you should be all right, in spite of what Pookie the SupremeLeader has to say.

Sure, let's meet at the bridge crossing the Burnt Timber at 6:30am Saturday

6:30 am.....indeed, it will likely be fine, but you and both know it won't be later on, and that is when most people will be on the streams.

I've seen this happen in the past; people choose to ignore the advisories because their leisure or business interests are more important than the health of the fishery.

A few years back on the Bow the water temperature near the shore was in the low 70's. Did people stop fishing it? Hardly. Guides and Outfitters still ran their trips; there were dead fish all over the place. Fish were being caught in the centre of the river and being released near the shore; it was atrocious. Amazing that people would knowingly damage their source of income?

Many people are generally selfish, and don't care about what is the right thing to do if it means they have to make adjustments to their lifestyle, or it affects their wallets.

I will be away this weekend fishing in another province, but if I was here I would suggest we meet at 2 or 3 in the afternoon; that way I could skip rocks into the warm water where people will inevitably choose to ignore our biologist’s recommendations.

SL

I would assume that you, Supreme, will be taking temps where you are fishing this weekend?

;)

Anyways, you've read far too much in the advisory. You first told one person to stay off the ES (in the entirety), when the advisory said from RMH to the Montana border. Damn, there goes my fishing the Mcleod, Berland, etc.

The advisory also says you can keep fishing, but bear in mind the factors that may contribute to higher mortality. If SRD is really that concerned, then they should close the streams. Otherwise, I'll let my thermometer and my common sense dictate my actions. While it is certainly that time of the year to keep a sharp eye on temps, you're not going to convince the knowledgable users of this board that some blanket ban from Grande Prairie to Waterton earns you "steward of the year" honors. Temps vary according to latitude, weather, how close to the headwaters you're fishing etc, and you darn well know that.

The holier-than-thou attitude is both simultaneously amusing and wearing thin. If you are that concerned about the fish, you shouldn't fish period. Or at least you should stay in Alberta, sacrifice your fishing time, go to the popular spots where you know the advisories will be ignored, and educate the "stewards" out there fishing and ignoring. That would truly be unselfish.

Smitty

I would assume that you, Supreme, will be taking temps where you are fishing this weekend?

;)

Anyways, you've read far too much in the advisory. You first told one person to stay off the ES (in the entirety), when the advisory said from RMH to the Montana border. Damn, there goes my fishing the Mcleod, Berland, etc.

The advisory also says you can keep fishing, but bear in mind the factors that may contribute to higher mortality. If SRD is really that concerned, then they should close the streams. Otherwise, I'll let my thermometer and my common sense dictate my actions. While it is certainly that time of the year to keep a sharp eye on temps, you're not going to convince the knowledgable users of this board that some blanket ban from Grande Prairie to Waterton earns you "steward of the year" honors. Temps vary according to latitude, weather, how close to the headwaters you're fishing etc, and you darn well know that.

The holier-than-thou attitude is both simultaneously amusing and wearing thin. If you are that concerned about the fish, you shouldn't fish period. Or at least you should stay in Alberta, sacrifice your fishing time, go to the popular spots where you know the advisories will be ignored, and educate the "stewards" out there fishing and ignoring. That would truly be unselfish.

Smitty

Indeed, I should have been more specific regarding the exact location of the advisory.

You and I both know most people will continue to fish when the water temperature reaches a critical level.

I also mentioned the methods used in Montana when they have been in similar situations. The government here, however, does not move towards protecting a resource to that necessary point; a closure of a stream with dangerous water temperatures. Montana closed the 'Mo' a few years back after 12 noon (because of high temps.); and it was only open to resident anglers on certain days / times.

As I mentioned, guides and outfitters continued to run their businesses a few years back on the Bow despite the high mortality rate; and these are the people who in many ways lead the sport / industry? Guides, Outfitters, and Recreational anglers saw fish dying and responded by continuing to fish?

I won't go and drive the FTR and sacrifice my time, I am selfish about my free time; I have no problem admitting that.

I am that concerned about the fish, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't fish? It is why I'm concerned.

I fish for very different reasons than you may think. If you need some lessons let me know; I'm sure I could teach you a lot.

I fish for very different reasons than you may think. If you need some lessons let me know; I'm sure I could teach you a lot.

I wonder how long it will take for me to stop grinning. Thanks Supreme, you made my day. Arrogance is always good for a laugh. :D

Oh wait, you meant that in jest... ;)

Smitty

Smitty

That was simultaneously amusing and caustic!

I wonder how long it will take for me to stop grinning. Thanks Supreme, you made my day. Arrogance is always good for a laugh. :D

Oh wait, you meant that in jest... ;)

Smitty

Smitty, that was the only part of my post you could respond to?

Seems I hit a nerve (the truth hurts). :rolleyes:

Why is it that every thread on this board gets hi-jacked and turned into a total sh*t show? The novelty of SupremeWeiners omnipotence has come to a grinding hault after only 14 days with that user name, maybe on your next user name you may be able to conduct yourself like an adult.

Ok, lets all just back down a bit, and breathe in through the nose a bit. :) Probably not relevant, but Supreme and I have ironed things out via pms.

So, since I was part contributor of the s**t show, how about I try to get the thread back on topic? ;) With that in mind:

Cdock:

Have not idea what the FTR is like north of Cochrane, but north of hwy 11 (not sure you're even thinking of going that far, probably not), the main hazard when I drove it was big a** trucks.

Other than that, you seem like an experienced guy, so all the usual hazards I think would apply for any vacationing and camping along the FTR. I don't have any specific info in regards to the condition of the road north of Cochrane.

So other than stream temps, forestry fire hazards, I can't think of anything else. For awhile, seems like there were enough regulars on the board that would post bear/cougar sightings/signs, but I haven't heard anything about that section. Maybe try the local F&W office?

Smitty