Fly Fusion Forums

New Fly Line

Choices...  

106 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose a new all purpose line wat woudl it be?

• Rio Gold Fresh water
    • SA GPX
    • Cortland 444
    • SA Supra
    • SA Shark Skin
    • Other

Its time for a new line, any recomendations? 5 weight med-Fast action rod (Sage Flight), I do lots of nymphing but I also like to throw a dry fly and the odd streamer. I am leaning towards the GPX, simply because it seems like a no gimmic line that is an all purpose line...Would love to hear feed back.

Matt

NOTE TO SELF: STUDDED WADING BOOTS AND COILS OF LINE AT YOUR FEET ARE A BAD COMBO :(

The GPX will do it all, though lacks somewhat throwing dries, that said, I'd say it's SA's best do everything line. I fish the GPX most of the year, but switch to the more supple XPS in the winter, and when setting out to fish dries.

Talk to Dee at Country Pleasures, he used to rep for SA and Sage.

You can't go wrong with RIO Gold Freshwater lines either. This is the first year I have used them (Usually use SA Lines) and I am very impressed so far. The 6wtf I have is super High float, soft memory free, and shoots great. I can't say how well it holds up over multiple seasons, but I can tell you that after about 30+ trips it still looks like new and that says a lot since I am pretty rough on my lines. I have ripped branches off trees and bushes, broken 14lb mono off the end by pulling straight down the line on a nasty snag (the hardest I have ever had to pull to break off BTW when going for pike).

I have used heavy weight and long leaders to sink most the of shooting head for full days on lakes and it still floats right to the tip as soon as you pull off the weight.

Have used many types over close to 20 years and can honestly say this line performs as good, or better than most lines I have owned.

Guest rickleblanc

Well, we may as well round out this panel. I say go with the Cortland 444. It's one of the all time greatest general purpose lines. When they haven't changed a design in thirty years, you know they got it right. Yes, I have used all three of those lines, but my rods are not quite as quick as the Flight.

If you do go with SA, I think the Supra is a better line. Right now it's tied for first as my all-time favorite flyline. Bruce Richardson sent an e-mail to a friend of mine, in which he wrote that the Supra was identical to the old Ultra 4. I don't remember liking the Ultra 4 nearly this much.

Rick

Matt,

I think that you need to put an "other" catagory on your survey... Unless those are the only 3 lines you are considering... As you did with deciding on a rod, you might have to load up all three, put'em on your Flight and chuck'em... If you have expereinced one of those previously, you might as well go with that one, unless you had a crappy exp. with it, then I can't help you!! :)

P

Last night I bought a Rio Grand as a general purpose line to go on my Loop 5wt. I think it's pretty similar to the GPX as far as being a half size heavier and both have the same head lengths. I've fished the GPX before and thought it was also a great general purpose line. To me fly lines are as personal a choice as rods and reels, though. See if you can try a few different lines out before you buy.

(3)rio gold (overlined 1) (2)snowbee xs-ed (not overlined)(1) loop opti stream(not overlined)! fished my opti stream lastyear nymph streamer and stalked many a feesh on teh bow/crow/frenchmans creek and did wonders with my 5wt! everything from pike flies too 20 dries!

I have a GPX that I have fished for approximately 1 full season. Just found the other day that the end loop has come appart. It has just come appart not at the end of the loop. But at the beginning of the loop on one side of the loop. I will be bringing it back and see if I can get warranty on it.

As for a new line though I think I'm going to go with a Rio Grand. I like the fact that it is weighted slightly heavier than the Rio Gold in the same wt catagory. I think it will match up nicely with my 10' 5wt Sage Z axis.

I was also looking at the Rio nymph line. I think I will get one of those as well. I like the idea of having a strike indicator built right into the line for nymphing. I have tried this line before on a friends rod and really liked it.

Rob

Thanks everyone for the feed back. I did manage to get out yesterday, and after all consideration, I picked up the SA GPX. Mike at Bow River Trout Fitters walked me thru every line they had in the store and that was the finial out come. Thanks for everyone's feed back and thanks again Mike.

PS they have a few spools of Orvis in 6 and 7 weight on for half price @ BRTF if anyones interested. No 5wt's though, and I didn't feel like over lining.

Matt

You can't go wrong with RIO Gold Freshwater lines either. This is the first year I have used them (Usually use SA Lines) and I am very impressed so far. The 6wtf I have is super High float, soft memory free, and shoots great. I can't say how well it holds up over multiple seasons, but I can tell you that after about 30+ trips it still looks like new and that says a lot since I am pretty rough on my lines. I have ripped branches off trees and bushes, broken 14lb mono off the end by pulling straight down the line on a nasty snag (the hardest I have ever had to pull to break off BTW when going for pike).

I have used heavy weight and long leaders to sink most the of shooting head for full days on lakes and it still floats right to the tip as soon as you pull off the weight.

Have used many types over close to 20 years and can honestly say this line performs as good, or better than most lines I have owned.

Exactly the way I see it. Used to be an SA guy but after switching to Rio I'm never, ever going back. Gold is like the utility line. Selective trout lays down very nicely, mainly for dry fly fishing. Of course the nymphing and lake lines are heavier. Gold sits somewhere in the middle. It shoots great and like Kungfool said it floats nice and high and virtually 0 memory.

Jim Vincent is pure genious.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Sharkskin for 1 season and replaced it with a Rio Gold today at Fishtales. The boys wanted to use my old Sharkskin to show people what can happen to it after a season!! I look forward to trying the Rio Gold!

Just bought a Rio gold and a Rio Windcutter 2 I've always used cortland 444, So far am loving the Rio lines, definitetly float better and have alot less memory. I cant really compare the performance of the two as the Rio's went straight on the 2 Sage Z-Axis 590's I bought for the wife and me. Never used the cortlands on anything but cheap rods.

I used Sharkskin for 1 season and replaced it with a Rio Gold today at Fishtales. The boys wanted to use my old Sharkskin to show people what can happen to it after a season!! I look forward to trying the Rio Gold!

???

What CAN happen in one season? Is it just really dirty, or? (I don't fish as much in one season as most of you guys I'm sure..)

well gents, I've been watching this thread with great interest because like most it was time to buy a new line..and so..after seeing what you all had to say, and the % also played a part in my purchase, I bought a Rio Gold 6wt, now, this line made my new rod just 'sing' with delight..as everyone had said...it just motors, loads up the rod and just spits out the line...

..you know this is the first time I've ever listened to a 'poll' ........thank you all for ur input............Wolfie