Fly Fusion Forums

Frustrated

I'm so frustrated. I hate the Bow. I'm relatively new to fly fishing, but I've been out about 20 times in the past couple of months, and I've only caught 2 fish. I've gone out with others on several occasions who are more experienced, and I watch them catch fish, but I don't catch any. I popped into Fishtales this morning and everyone in there was talking about how great the river is, and how you can't NOT catch fish, so I went out to the Deerfoot Extention Bridge for a couple hours. All I did was lose a hook. Not even a nibble. I even used the set-up the guides there told me to use. Nothing. It just really makes me angry how I've spent so much time and money in the attempt to catch a few fish and all I do is lose equipment. Every time I walk into a fly shop I end up dropping around $50 in the hopes that this time it will work. Then it doesn't. Plus the intial set-up and the time away from home etc. So I hear I could shorten the learning curve if I get a guide. Yeah, another $500 to watch him catch fish, and I'll just wind up losing a few more hooks. I know this is a really negative post, especially for a first post, but that's just how I'm feeling right now. Royally Pissed. :$*%&:

First thing you must do is change your attitude, when fly fishin you have to have cofendince in what you are doing, that way you are fishin and not fighting yourself.

What type of fishin are you doing?

More info and I might be able to help you out.

I've been nymphing. I usually have either a wire worm or a sheneel [sp?] worm on of some sort, and then a phesant tail or a pince nymph. I have a 9 ft tapered leader, 2X. I use 2X tippet. I put the hooks about 12inches apart and an idicator near the top of the leader. I'll use weight if it seems like I'm not getting to the bottom quickly enough. I'll be the first to admit my casting is sucky.

Thats what keeps bringing you back. The Bow can be a pretty technical river and your problem is either DRAG, DEPTH, or the water your are fishing, that will be the outcome of a guided trip. Remember everyone is tossing the same flies, the only varient is your presentation of the fly and what waters you decide to fish. The easiest fix is play with the depth of your strike indicator and with micro split shots to adjust where your fly resides in the water. Nest is work on your mend, if that means walking along shore to fight off drag then do it for a day. YOu will notice the subtilities and feel for drag free drift by doing that simple thing, walking. Then slow down the walking and make adjustments to your line by stripping, high sticking and mending till you end up with the same results. Last but not least is the water you fish. Remember only 10% of the river hold fish. You will need to be able to read the water, but in short fish need a few basics to be happy and call a stretch of water home. They need constant food supply that requires very little energy to get. So look for a converer belt of faster water with a dead pocket or reversing current that the fish can sit and hit that food belt without spending more energy then the food is worth.

If this post was just a "RANT" as my wife calls them and didn't need an answer then sorry and rant away.

Matt

get a guide for a walk and wade. they will teach you how to catch fish. not all of them cost 500. A guy like Max will get you into fish and teach you alot more than you think.

I would second this as max is very good at teaching new guys what to do and how to approch the river. Max is on this board as Maxwell.

It was a rant, but also looking for help. Only 10% has fish. I haven't really though of that before. I try to do as you say, though, and look for a dead pocket with faster water coming by. I try to fish the seam of the faster and slower water, and I'm aware that I need to be bounding along the bottom with a drag-free drift. Knowledge and the application of knowledge are 2 different things though. I don't know what is meant by 'high sticking'.

I agree with the guys, get a guide for a walk and wade.

Don't give up dude, once you get it figured it will be well worth it, trust me! It took me almost 2yrs. Hope you are not married however because a new problem begins.

Do you fish other places? I used to hit places like Mckenzie lake with buddies as the fish are easy to catch and thus kills your bow river blues.

You will get man, stick in there, if it was that easy everyone would be doing it.

I agree with the guys, get a guide for a walk and wade.

Don't give up dude, once you get it figured it will be well worth it, trust me! It took me almost 2yrs. Hope you are not married however because a new problem begins.

Do you fish other places? I used to hit places like Mckenzie lake with buddies as the fish are easy to catch and thus kills your bow river blues.

You will get man, stick in there, if it was that easy everyone would be doing it.

Thanks for the encouraging words. But I thought that nearly everyone was doing it. Whenever I go to the river it's pretty crowded ;)

I was down in the crowsnest pass a couple weeks ago. I didn't have much time to spend fishing [i was with the wife and kids] but I managed to land a couple rainbows on the river there and 4 little guys at Chinook Lake. So I can catch fish with a reasonable amount of success, but the Bow River kills me.

HSN is simply picking your line up off the water as it drifts past you. The biggest drag on your fly line comes from biggest diameter section which is your floating line, if you pick that up off the water as it drifts by you you reduce drag. Simply raise your rod to pick up the line as it floats by.

IN MORE WORDS FROM THE INTERNET

"In the sport of fly fishing, there are a variety of effective methods for presenting a nymph fly pattern to a holding or feeding fish. High stick nymphing is a common strategy employed by fly anglers fishing nymph flies in the faster, deeper water of pockets and short pools, and is an extremely effective way to fly fish when there is little or no observed dry fly activity or visibly rising trout.

In high stick nymphing, a technique similar to short line nymphing, a strike indicator is often not used, but can be effective for practiced anglers. High sticking is a fly fishing technique designed to deliver a subsurface fly pattern on a dead drift to trout holding in moderate to fast pocket water and short, but deep pools. Line control is key in high sticking and nothing beats good old fashioned practice when it comes to executing this technique on your favorite river.

Approach a pocket or pool with care and make a short cast upstream at roughly 45 degrees from your position. as soon as the fly sinks to the river or stream bottom, raise the rod tip high and follow the line downstream through the drift. As the fly begins its drift, lift your rod tip high, and do not allow slack line to gather and drag in the surface film. Let the drift continue across your position and lower the rod tip as it continues its downstream movement. Employing a "Leisenring Lift" as the fly passes your position can greatly reduce the drag that may be created by mismanaged or under-managed slack fly line at this point in the drift.

Hooking a trout with this technique is actually quite simple as the reduced slack and drag in the fly line will heighten an angler's strike-sensing ability. At the slightest tug on the line, lift the rod tip quickly and confidently; with the help of this style of fishing, hook sets are a breeze.

High sticking has often been given a bad name, especially by dry fly fanatics, but this technique, when properly dispatched on a favorite stretch of pocket water can be the deadliest arrow in an angler's quiver."

Weedcatcher, hope you don't mind my 2 cents. I agree with most of the stuff folks here are saying. However, taking a step back and looking at the big picture, the Bow is one of those rivers that can be really challenging. I hate to say it, but 20x on the Bow is not that much time. I remember when I moved here from out east it took me quite a while to learn the river and the type of fishing it requires of you. In fact, I started getting into fish on a decent basis after about 50 or so outings (finding the runs, holes, etc. for each season, etc.). Even now, as I log in over 100 days a year on teh river, I still have my slow days and my skunked days. It happens to everyone. I like whoever said it has a lot to do with attitude, having confidence helps A TON (and logging as many hours as you can-even only one or two at a time helps). Even if you have been having a slow go, believe in yourself because one day you will have one of those memorable days on the Bow. Also, remember there is a reason why they called it fishing and not catching. Some days you have to root for the fish, even when you're frustrated to all hell! Just think, next time you're out they'll have a bit more energy so when you get into them it will be one hell of a ride!

I'll steal a quote from Jim McLennan " Learning to fly fish on the Bow is like learning to drive on the Daytona 500." It's a tough river, once you think you have it figured out it will throw you a 2 week funk. Just keep pounding away and it will come. I know that sounds shitty but, thats the bow

Thanks for the comments. It's good to know that it isn't just me. I actually just came from an evening at Police Flats. I hooked 2 good rainbows, and had another nibble that I was too slow setting the hook on [it pulled on my line, but I was not assertive enough in the set]. The first rainbow jumped upstream of me just after I set the hook and got off. The second surprised me with how hard it ran the split second after I set the hook. The leader broke. Right after my line went slack it jumped out of the water like I was still fighting it. Probably because it was still hooked. Anyway, even though I didn't land anything I saw some action and that was more fun and positive.

Quick question: how common is it to get hung up on rocks/ logs subsurface and have to break off? Happend to me twice this evening.

cool, good work!

i threw all the same stuff as 'everyone else' for 2 years before i hooked anything on the bow. now i would say i am in intermediate territory after almost 15 years. it takes time & patience for sure...for some more than others. i also benefitted from using a guide a few times and hooking up with some knowledgeable people. even now i learn something almost every outing. and this board is a tremendous resource.

to add to the comments above...you had better enjoy & get something out of it apart from just hooking & landing fish.

i have some exp. but i just went thru a 3 week slump, this river can kick your ass no matter how good you think you are.

but i would never ever trade my time on the bow for any other activity and consider it a huge blessing to have such easy access to one of the most incredible trout fisheries in the world minutes from my doorstep.

Weedcatcher:

I too got skunked on the Bow when I started up. I have made some progress and maybe I can share a few tips.

I recently switched to a corky style indicator, which makes a bit of a splat when it lands, but is very visible, especially in rougher water. I was totally shocked to see how much drag (or microdrag) I was actually getting on what I thought were drag-free drifts.

High-sticking also works well, especially to get you line off the water to reduce drag, particularly in areas of different current velocity lanes.

Also, DEPTH was a huge problem for me. I was nymphing my fly in the middle of the water column and it was sailing over the heads of fish that were holding on the bottom.

Through trial and error I eventually found out where therefish were holding (I almost stepped on a large rainbow) and where they were not. Observation and experience - both good and bad -is key.

That is why I like fly fishing. You have to think. If you are not catching fish, you keep making changes based on observations and previous experience until you do. I think the two key things are drag and depth. If you fish enough likely holding places, you will find feeding fish.

There is a very good book called Wisdom of the Guides by Paul Arnold, which I consider a must-read for any new fly fisher. Practical advice, straight from a variety of guides. Very informative.

Chin up bud.

Parker

Thats what keeps bringing you back. The Bow can be a pretty technical river and your problem is either DRAG, DEPTH, or the water your are fishing, that will be the outcome of a guided trip. Remember everyone is tossing the same flies, the only varient is your presentation of the fly and what waters you decide to fish. The easiest fix is play with the depth of your strike indicator and with micro split shots to adjust where your fly resides in the water. Nest is work on your mend, if that means walking along shore to fight off drag then do it for a day. YOu will notice the subtilities and feel for drag free drift by doing that simple thing, walking. Then slow down the walking and make adjustments to your line by stripping, high sticking and mending till you end up with the same results. Last but not least is the water you fish. Remember only 10% of the river hold fish. You will need to be able to read the water, but in short fish need a few basics to be happy and call a stretch of water home. They need constant food supply that requires very little energy to get. So look for a converer belt of faster water with a dead pocket or reversing current that the fish can sit and hit that food belt without spending more energy then the food is worth.

If this post was just a "RANT" as my wife calls them and didn't need an answer then sorry and rant away.

Matt

That it in a nutshell; great post!!

I recently switched to a corky style indicator, which makes a bit of a splat when it lands, but is very visible, especially in rougher water. I was totally shocked to see how much drag (or microdrag) I was actually getting on what I thought were drag-free drifts.

Interesting

Quick question: how common is it to get hung up on rocks/ logs subsurface and have to break off? Happend to me twice this evening.

Do not think it is an accident that you ask that question on the 1st day you hook a couple of trout. If you are not getting hung up, and have to bust off now and then, you are not fishing deep enough. It is critical to be on bottom. If you are on bottom, you will get hung up from time to time.

I wrote this a couple of months ago. I was just like you 3 yrs ago, struggling to learn this river. This was my attempt to jot down what I think I've learned:

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...amp;#entry88003

I feel and know your frustration on many levels. My husband and I bought a boat and chose to learn the Bow from the boat, floating it. It took us 3 NON-PRODUCTIVE and frustrating years until we lucked out and went fishing with a guide. The amount of knowledge we learned in that 9 hour float was IMMEASURABLE. It was worth the $500 plus tip and so much more. We learned tips, techniques, setups, flies, methods from a veteran of the river. I know Max - not as well as many on this board - but well enough to know that he knows the river just about as well as any expert Bow River angler can. Case in point - ran into him on the river last week as he was fishing from shore. He yelled at me to tie on a Chernobyl Ant. The rest is history - I'm sure I don't need to tell you what happened. Pay the $$ and go out with him and listen and learn. You'll be a better fisherman for it - and have a better appreciation for the technicality of the river and your abilities as a good fisherman. The first hurdle is the willingness to learn. By the sounds of your frustration - you're already there.

A quote from a post yesterday on another thread. http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9337

Weedcatcher: Stop dropping more $$$ at the fly shops. If there is anyway you can afford it, hire a guide for a day of walk and wading. After a day on the water with a good guide things will turn around for you profoundly.

A quote from a post yesterday on another thread. http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9337

Weedcatcher: Stop dropping more $$$ at the fly shops. If there is anyway you can afford it, hire a guide for a day of walk and wading. After a day on the water with a good guide things will turn around for you profoundly.

Thanks Flyfisher - I don't know why I put this reponse in the other thread - didn't mean to. But thanks for catching it!

I've gone out with others on several occasions who are more experienced, and I watch them catch fish, but I don't catch any.

If they're people you know and have some patience ask them questions. Which flies, what kind of presentation, leader length, etc. Then ask them to show you where they hooked up and look at the characteristics of the water. Ask why they were fishing that particular section of water. If you book Max for a day he'll answer all those questions for you.

You've already gotten a lot of good advice in this thread. One thing to add is that if you're checking the Bow river reports here, use it as a guideline rather than a crutch. Just because guys say the fish were taking a size 6 stonefly in fast water yesterday doesn't mean that'll work today. It's a good starting point, but don't get hung up on it. Today they might take the same stonefly in slower water, or a different fly but still in fast water.

You might also want to look into something like this:

http://www.mclennanflyfishing.com/onedaybasicschool.htm

I can relate as many have said. I'm still in the early stages of learning the bow but man it is addictive when you start to get a tiny bit of how to work it, even though I don't always catch fish the challenge is still addictive. Glad to see you haven't given up. I know people who I tried to introduce into the sport but find it boring because they don't catch fish the first time they try and then give up.