Fly Fusion Forums

Watch Your Water Temps

I was on a stream yesterday and the water temp was 70F or 21C by 2:30 pm, time to start watchin' water temps if you dont wanna killin' fish. We need a week of rain.

Guest JayVee
...time to start watchin' water temps if you dont wanna killin' fish. We need a week of rain.

Taco, please explain. Thanks.

The amount of oxygen in the water as it gets over 20C/70F is vastly reduced. Therefore the fish have a hard time respiring at warm temps. Add a fight at the end of a fly rod and it gets difficult for them to "catch their breath". Above 25C it might be time to give the fish a break.

Guest JayVee
The amount of oxygen in the water as it gets over 20C/70F is vastly reduced. Therefore the fish have a hard time respiring at warm temps. Add a fight at the end of a fly rod and it gets difficult for them to "catch their breath". Above 25C it might be time to give the fish a break.

Thanks monger. I wasn't aware of that.

I'm guessing that you were probably not in the far south part of Ab but N or NW of Calgary? The reason I say that is that saturday a.m. a small trib of the Oldman I fished was 6C which is a long way from 20C. I think the water is cooler down there than somewhere like LRDR.

I was told that 21C water temp was the time to stop fishing...

I'm guessing that you were probably not in the far south part of Ab but N or NW of Calgary? The reason I say that is that saturday a.m. a small trib of the Oldman I fished was 6C which is a long way from 20C. I think the water is cooler down there than somewhere like LRDR.

Which is another reason why it's beneficial to check the water temperatures each time. We were on a small trib to the Highwood on Sunday evening and the water temp on it was 19-20C. It varies river to river, creek to creek.

6C is a very low temp for this time of year.... likely where you measured was immediately where groundwater was coming up.

The waters I've been on in the past week have been from 10-15C

One backwater part was at 18C!

All on "tribs" to the Oldman, all comforably wet wadable.

*To minimize harm to trout> Don't play them long: use a strong tippet and bring them in as quick as you safely can. (you don't need to let trout pull line off the reel) Using a wet net can reduce the fight time

>keep them in the water: pictures of a dozen dinky/cookie cutter trout are pointless... they don't impress anybody unless the angler has some unique attributes making her (**cough, ahem or him) worthy of being in a picture.

Don't put the thing on dry ground or it will lose its slime, start to cook, and likely haunt you by keeping the big fish away from your flies (Karma and all that $hit).

> gentle release: make sure your fish can swim away under its own power... don't move it back and forward in the current, just craddle it to hold it upright in an area of slow moving (not still or fast) water.

Send me you fishing locations and I'll check them to make sure the temperatures are okay... a small donation will help pay for gas and keep your waters healthy (something the government should be doing, but they're not).

Which is another reason why it's beneficial to check the water temperatures each time. We were on a small trib to the Highwood on Sunday evening and the water temp on it was 19-20C. It varies river to river, creek to creek.

19-20? Was the water flowing?? We've only had a few days over 25 here, so it is very surprising to hear of that high a water temp.

I was south'ish of calgary in the foothills and I was more than a little surprised @ the water temp but the water flow are abnormally low for the time of the yr. We need a week of rain badly. I'm hopin', since spring was about a month or so late, that maybe the scheduled June rains are about to wash out 2/3rds of the Calgary Stampede.