Fly Fusion Forums

Cheap Raft- Viable?

Would it be possible to use a cheap raft to float down the river to reach wade fishing areas that are not accessible by land?I would not fish from the raft because it would be too hard to stand up and I would probably pop it but could I use it as a cheap transport device?

I cannot afford a full fledged drift boat or pontoon but I still want to reach more secluded areas and rubber/ synthetic rafts are pretty cheap......

Does anyone do this?

I've done it and so have a few of my buddies. Some will think it's crazy but there is no reason you can't use the same type of dingy that 1000s use to catch rays and drink beer in. I have fished from a raft and used it to get to hard to reach areas. Sure it's not a drift boat but it's not $7000+.

Several time last summer I went from Bear's Paw to the elbow confluence. You should be able to cast seated but you pretty much need another person to row but it's good times to switch on and off with each fish.

This is the one I use (it's predecessor, actually - a tad bit smaller - Costco had them for cheap a few years back and they were gone in a week!)

http://www.intexcorp.com/boats_marine_seahawk_II.html

Anyway, I upgraded the oar locks (nickel plated eye bolts with nylon nuts), oars and made some bench seats... A beaver board for the floor (as someone previously mentioned), would be the *hit - great idea!!

P

cool thanks!

methods of getting back after the float will have to be considered now.

A few years ago (like 4 or 5) I think it was around $200 (I know, that's why they went like stink!)... I know the Costco USA site had them listed... Not sure who else carries them locally, but you could always call the company...

See you on the water!

P

looks nice uber, how much did it cost?

If you are just looking to go yourself, and are able to spend 200 dollars, look around for a used pontoon boat, or even a cheap new one.

Would work much better for what you want it to do. Much easier to row and get in and out of, and a bit tougher pontoons.

Two cars or have someone pick you up at the spot you take out at (don't leave your keys in the car at the put in - I have a story about that!!)... Of course one of the sponsors of the site is Bow River Shuttles (call Michelle) she'll take good care of you!

P

No I was going to use it with 2 other people so a pontoon would not be ideal

How do you guys get back to calgary after a float? 2 cars? someone picks you up?

Yes, the Mariner is the larger version. Which ever you decide, make sure it's the one with removable/replaceable oar locks as you definitely need to upgrade those, as well as the oars (the same company makes a version with a solid shaft - canadian tire sells them for like $20). I can tell /show you more on the oar locks if and when.

Oh, and with either version, you won't be getting 3 people fishing - one on the oars and one casting (plus gear) is the best you will be able to do! And no studded wading boots!!

P

This one got even better reviews

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

You think it is pretty sturdy?

I'm going on to my 3rd season with mine... It's no drift boat or white water raft (please understand that - and WEAR your PFD - NO QUESTION!!!), but with that being said, it's WAY better then any Canadian Tire special!!! It works well for the Bow and the lakes around Calgary (lower K, Gap, Grotto, etc!)! A small anchor is also a necessity, but you can make one of those easy enough.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to bring up this old thread as I just ordered an Intex Seahawk from Cabelas for $120 US!!! I've got a friend who is going down to the states soon, so she's picking it up for me. All in with shipping (to the US) and exchange rate comes out to $160 CAD. The Mariner is also on sale.

I'll let ya know how it goes.

Oh yeah, they've also got some pontoons going for under $300... crazy! I gotta limit my time on that site.... it's dangerous.

Kewl! If you need to look at the modifications I made, lemme know!

P

Just wanted to bring up this old thread as I just ordered an Intex Seahawk from Cabelas for $120 US!!! I've got a friend who is going down to the states soon, so she's picking it up for me. All in with shipping (to the US) and exchange rate comes out to $160 CAD. The Mariner is also on sale.

I'll let ya know how it goes.

Oh yeah, they've also got some pontoons going for under $300... crazy! I gotta limit my time on that site.... it's dangerous.