Fly Fusion Forums

Wading Boot Insight - Simms Vs. Chota Slt

Hi all,

In dire need of new wading boots for this years stream season as my old Chota Abrams creeks' have given up the ghost.

Now that I am in the working world and not a starving student anymore I am looking to expand my budget a bit.

Wondering what the consensus is out there regarding the Simms G4, Guideboot and Chota SLT. Furthermore, has anyone tried the new Vibram rubber soles that Simms is touting as on-par with felt? Lastly, would it be prudent to get a boot with spikes. I generally look for a boot with: good support, reinforced toes and decent comfort and weight.

Lemme know what you guys have experienced / think.

Thanks!

Matt

I have the Simms Rivershead Vibram with studs. Losts of grip, neoprene lined, big toe box, desigend to be light enought to hike in. Love em, and they dont get slime clogged like my old felt ones. WIth that said I only had LL beans and these, these are far supperior, but also 5x the price.

I've had a pair of G4 boots with the Vibram soles for a couple months now and love them. They're pretty good for traction and you can get the screw-in studs for them. I haven't felt the need for the spikes yet. They're great for long distance walking and you can walk up hills that you wouldn't even consider with felt. I have a wide foot and the G4s fit great, but if you have a narrow foot you might want to check out the Guide boots instead.

Korkers all the way!

My Korkers are completely coming apart at the seams after only 2 seasons. Same with my buddy's. Very disappointed. I won't be getting another pair.

Simms Rivershed are next on the list.

I had a pair of Chota's for two years, can't remember the model. They were all right...

I just replaced them a with a pair of G4's. As far as the felt vs vibram sole, I have not noticed a difference in the river. Walking to and from is a lot nicer in the Simms. I have really wide feet and the fit on the Simms is very comfortable. I like the laces as opposed to the elastic laces on the Chota's (I know I could have switched them). I like to have my boots very tight for the support. The nice wide sole of the Simms is also a big benefit.

X2 Love the Korkers

My Korkers are completely coming apart at the seams after only 2 seasons. Same with my buddy's. Very disappointed. I won't be getting another pair.

Depends how much you use them I guess. I must admit I had the same issue on there cross current model, used backing to sew them up.

I just picked up the next model up stream born and am very happy with them.

Being able to change out the sole is now a must for me. Tread for alpine lakes, spikes for winter ice shelves (wife bought after I took a dip), felt for rocks, felt with spikes for added grip. Do need to get a pair of the new rubber to replace the felt. Nice thing is all the soles I owned fit on my new boots.

Regarding the sole coming out, I make sure I check them before I head out and also carry the tool just in case...has not been an issue for me.

http://korkers.com/water.php

Went through one pair in less than a season, good thing about their one year warranty...

And the little strap on the back of the boot seems to be a fly line magnet, drives me crazy...

But they are definately one of the lightest boots out there.

Simms Rivershed are next on the list.

The felt will pick up bugs and carry them steam to stream and may be banned soon , go with the Vibram rubber soled simms.

The main concern is certain disease causing bacteria that can survive x number of days out of water and within the moisture of the felt, as well as certain plants which have been known to damage fresh water systems. However alot of the plant and algae are actually present and some are natural to area's in alberta. I personally dont think felt will be banned in alberta atleast not for a very long time, Felt is felt and will deteriorate im currently on boots with no felt as im waiting for my new waders to get in before i buy boots and do the river dance when ever im crossing slipery surfaces. I was thinking about getting simm's or cloudveil but the price is a concern.

Got the Korkers too. Figured Maxwell, hawgstoppah, et al probably weren't wrong. I've had the guide versions for about a month, so in my world that's about 15 trips (maybe a slight exaggeration, but just barely). I absolutely love the BOA or whatever the little wheel thingy is called. No more laces! And they are coming out with their version of "vibram" soles as well. Anyway, I'm a fan.

That said, I know people who have the Simms and absolutely love them. I've had some Chota's as well, and they took a lot of abuse before giving up, but only after a year or so. But lots and lots of trips in that year. I've never had any pair of boots last two years, but that's probably because I treat them like crap.

I have the Simms Rivershed with the Vibram soles and really like them. Prior to this I was using very uncomfortable $20 boots from Wallymart with felt glued on the bottom so anything is a step up in terms of comfort. But the Simms are really comfortable, 7 hours covering a lot of water on the weekend and my feet never felt better.