Fly Fusion Forums

Scuba Fins And 20" Net

monger

Hey Rick, maybe we should go tomorrow morning....PM me. I think my wrist is almost recovered from the last couple of days of pond fishing. I know stocked pigs don't count, but man I was giggling like a school girl watching these things attack my dry.

Hey Jared...that's just a couple of 35 dry fly eating pigs. Elliott's pond is almost as good as Sundance. I think I may have to take a couple more days off next week. It was frustrating yesterday having huge fish swirl around you while you are trying to reel the fat pig on your line. These fish take too long to land. You should see the bigger ones!!! I need a net/landing boy to pass the rod off to so I can hook another one :) . It was great fish whoring. Harry was out today. I'm sure he will have some great stories as well.

A couple of weeks tyler took me out to Lake Sundance and man I could not belive the size of the stock bruts I was pulling out of the water, had me shakin by the end of the day and there was times I was positive I was going to break my 6wt 9' 6"

Went out to Lake Bonavista a couple of days ago and the samething there, It wouldn't surprise me if these were from the same stock, man what fun it was fighting those pigs, when I get home from work tonight I will post one of the biggest fatties I have ever caught in a stock lake, I will however mentioned I did find it kind of boring until the fish hit.

It was great fish whoring. Harry was out today. I'm sure he will have some great stories as well.

Rob, you talking about me or this is Sundance? Only saw one fella out there, my apologies for not recognizing you, didn't realize it was you, you look different without 5 kids and a dog :) . Next time say "Hey Harry it's me, give me a beer!" That was you who said it was good in the morning on emergers?

Was my 2nd trip to Elliott, thought last Saturday was better, too sunny and hot this time but we managed to hook 6. Spent the afternoon rowing my buddy from work around to make sure he landed a couple. It's always fun watching someone fight a fish into their backing for the first time.

Thought the highlight of the day were the cowboys and cattle drive, made for a couple nice pics. Were you still there for that?

Taking the trailer there next weekend, see if those fish can be landed in the dark. Maybe the surface action will be real good come dusk.

Hi Harry, I was there this last Sat. with Calvin and Russ and it had slowed down quite a bit. I only managed 2 fish in about 4 hrs. of fishing.

I think the menu may be changing as I did see a few damsel's flying around and some nymph's in the water. Water temps had risen to

63 deg by noon. I guess it could be that the fish are getting smarter as well. Still lot's of fun and they are still hitting the tan zonker

minnow with the silver body on the slow troll. Cronie's were not as effective but I did get one on the black & red. Those slabs sure are fun.

Good luck next weekend,

Paulie

Thanks buddy, I spoke with Calvin yesterday afternoon, maybe we could tie on one of those gopher corpses, the fish are big enough.

Hi Harry, I was there this last Sat. with Calvin and Russ and it had slowed down quite a bit. I only managed 2 fish in about 4 hrs. of fishing.

I think the menu may be changing as I did see a few damsel's flying around and some nymph's in the water. Water temps had risen to

63 deg by noon. I guess it could be that the fish are getting smarter as well. Still lot's of fun and they are still hitting the tan zonker

minnow with the silver body on the slow troll. Cronie's were not as effective but I did get one on the black & red. Those slabs sure are fun.

Good luck next weekend,

Paulie

Ya Harry that was me in the Fish cat on Friday. I guess I should take my hat off to show off my shiny head. Sorry I didn't bring the dog to play with you this time. The dry fly fishing was awesome in the morning and then things go dead later in the day. I got 20 Thur and 15 on Friday. I was just packing up when Grant Elliott and the Hutts brought the cows in. Grant was well lubricated as he acted as trail boss for the boys. Dean and a buddy were out Thursday night but I think they only got one on a big streamer. The fish are getting smarter for sure. It was only my second trip out as well and water is getting warm fast. The algae is coming on as well. Maybe fishing in the dark is a good idea.

No wonder the fishing was off, they all had sore mouths from you Rob. Sounds like you had fun. I

experienced that a couple of Saturday's ago though so I can't complain. What's the biggest you have

landed so far? 25" for me but I'm sure there are bigger.

I got one that was about 27" and approaching 9lb. It was a big humpback fish...amazing (sorry on pic). Most of the ones I got on Friday were the 24-25" guys. On Thursday I saw quite a few 21-24". I suck catching fish under the surface...only 2 for me. I guess I'm stuck fishing with dries.

I saw lots of adult damsels and dragons on Friday. Maybe those nymphs are the way to fool these fish.

Hey, if you can get them on the dry then take advantage for sure. I never tried dries and I guess I should have. I

was going to try a slow troll with the Damsel nymph but I ran out of time. It could be worth a try I think. Are you going

out again soon?

I'm not sure when I'm going next. Hopefully the water doesn't get too warm this week. Some of the fish needed a long time resting before you could let them go. I imagine the oxygen levels are getting lower at the surface. Good to hear you had a great weekend a while ago. I've never fished with streamers or a sinking line there. Maybe I should try some more techniques. They are exceptional fish. Only one fish had a genetically flawed peduncle.

I'm not sure when I'm going next. Hopefully the water doesn't get too warm this week. Some of the fish needed a long time resting before you could let them go. I imagine the oxygen levels are getting lower at the surface. Good to hear you had a great weekend a while ago. I've never fished with streamers or a sinking line there. Maybe I should try some more techniques. They are exceptional fish. Only one fish had a genetically flawed peduncle.

Had issues with trout not wanting to swim away at the pond I fished yesterday. Kinda makes me hesitant to fish there again; each one I caught was hard to revive. The fights were short(heavy tippet) & they were released quickly, but it took a lot of TLC to get them to swim away. I walked over to chat with the family that was fishing worm-n-bobber rigs down the shore, only to see 2 trout belly up on the bottom. Managed to retrieve the closest one & revive it. I'm fully aware that us C&R guys accidentally kill some fish, but I still don't like to see it...

Later,

Steve

I noticed that it took a while to revive them as well but I don't mind spending the time after the

good fight that they give. I think that as the summer gets closer the days of 15 fish days will be less

and less. I never did much trolling with sinking lines out there before this year but one of my fishing

resolutions this year was to do more trolling and streamer fishing with sinking lines and I have found

it to be quite productive both on the lake and the bow.

Did you notice the schools of minnows in the morning out there? I noticed the surface of the water

boiling for about a 20' diameter circle a few times last weekend. Lots of food in the lake this year

and those fish should put on a couple of pounds over the summer. (as if they are not fat enough already!)

Should be fun.

The minnows were right up against the shoreline in less than 10" of water. I think it might be scary to be a minnow outside the cattail rim around the lake. :unsure: I will have to find my meat lines and drag out some bigger flies. I'm always open to trying new productive ways to fool fat fish.