Fly Fusion Forums

Whatsa Pro?

BRH

I have often had reservations about responding to posts in this "Ask the Pros" forum, I am certainly not a "Pro". However, through occasional browsing of this forum and some of the responses posted by various individuals who, through the content of their response, make it obvious that they are no more a "Pro" than I am, I wonder what qualifies these individuals to offer responses in this forum. Is the connotation of being a "Pro" a self-proclaimed distinction? Is there some set of criteria, hidden away somewhere that I don't know about, that outlines the credentials of a "Pro"? In the description of this forum it states "... This is your chance to ask the guides ... about flyfishing." Does that mean that you have to be a guide to post responses here? Does that mean that everyone posting a response in this forum is a guide?

Essentially I'd like to know if I'm qualified to be posting a response here. If not, I'm happy to leave the responding to posts occurring here to the "Pros".

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

NONONO, this is ALL WRONG!!!!!!! Its all about how many post you have, I think its around 1000 so SILVERDOC is our newest pro!!! lol

I made a few post in this section but i have tried not to because of the fact that i dont have to knowledge or the post count lol..

But seriously if you know the correct answer then post away.

Pseudonym, please feel free to add your opinions. You've probably been fly fishing longer than most of these guys have been alive. Your wisdom will certainly help lots of folks.

Monger ... I've never thought of my years of fly fishing that way. One would think I'd be a little smarter after all those years of chucking flies. There have been a lot of changes to fly fishing since I started at a tender age long before fly fishing was fashionable. From a single old Hardy bamboo to the arsenal of composite rods now in my equipment rack. From wading bare skinned (they didn't make waders small enough in those days) to several pairs of breathable waiders, float tubes and drift boats. From natural, painstakingly collected fly tieing materials to synthetics and flawless hackle capes within easy driving distance. From being religated to fly fishing the small muskeg streams close to home to fly fishing excursions for Tarpon, Permit, Salmon, Steelhead, Arctic Char and to countless trout waters. There have been a lot of changes but over the years two things have remained constant ... there is still nothing better to be doing than standing waist deep in a trout stream throwing a fly into a seam and ... I still have days when I am humbled by the targets of my angling pursuits ... the fish.

Damn straight baby! Post count is the true measure of pro-ness. Or is that prowess?

rickr and 420 ... then I have probably been out of line with about 20 posts here ... my apologies ... I will abide.

Is the criteria for the definition of "Pro" so narrow that it excludes anyone except a "guide"(which as I understand, requires very little other than declaring oneself "a guide") ?? My assumption(as unsafe as it might be) is that "Pro" is short for "professional" or one whose profession is within the overall fly fishing industry.

Wouldn't professionals, other than guides, be able to make a significant contribution?

j

Bah. I think leaving this section for only "pros" to respond will scare off a lot of people with real knowledge and experience in our sport. No one wants to feel obligated to sign in every now and then to check the section of their local forum that only they and a few other members of the board are allowed to reply to.

I think if you are confident you know the answer, or can contribute to the thread, respond. Maybe people should be candid about their actual level of experience, or who they learned the content of their post from.

I also thinks it depends on the question. If someone asks a specific question about the Bow River, who would he rather get a response from, Brian Chan or someone who has been fishing the Bow for 2-3 years and has logged >500 days?

Personally I think the title of this particular forum is a bit misleading (unintentional mind you)

As I see it, it is somewhere where someone can come and ask a question or look for answers that are fly fishing releated and not have to wade through all the other posts.

This section as I see it is very good as you get alot of diffrent veiws and persepctives on how people fish, and anyone that has some insight into something SHOULD be allowed to post.

• 2 weeks later...