Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Boxes

Being new to this trout fishing a person has to get used to going bug eyed tying these flies on. What do you guys use for boxes, a metal clipped box or ridge foam, or just a compartment style. Any susjestions on brands of fly boxes would be helpful as well Thank

I just load them into a couple of plano boxes. I carry a back pack so their big size (the boxes) is not an issue for me.

What do people use for their big flies? I have been tying a lot of pike and articulated flies and was thinking of getting a new box just for them.

What do people use for their big flies? I have been tying a lot of pike and articulated flies and was thinking of getting a new box just for them.

I have a Flambeau (I think) box. It's not specifically for flies but it seals and floats. It's a fair size but does fit in my back pouch of my vest and deosn't bother me. It doesn't allow the hooks to be stuck in anything, they are just a big pile in a box. But for the big pike flies it doesn't really matter and they never tangle. I have some bass bugs in there too.

Guest rickleblanc
Is anyone familiar with Flambeau Blue Ribbon Boxes. I bought one tonight thinking I was buying Springbrook, they're very similar in design. It's a compartment style box that I plan to use for drys. It seems to be very durable.

As far as I can tell, they're identical, except for the label and the price. They're great fly boxes for dries, since they don't deform the hackle. I used two for a couple years, and loved them, until I got into my ulta-light, spartan fishing kick.

Rick

I picked up 3 cliffs boxes from fish tales. There the type with the magnets and the extra sleeve on the inside. I like the boxes but the hinge on the inner sleeve broke on all the 3. To me they would be the perfect boxes if not for this flaw.

Cliff replaced mine that broke (middle hinge on the Super Day's Worth)... I lat them know and they sent me a replacement right away. Very good to deal with!