Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing For Giant Pike

Some very nice Fish caught in the video. One of the most underrated sport fish in the Fly fishing community IMO, and thats a sad thing.

Of all the threads like this out there I must say this has been the most civil and educational of them. I think we all agree that taking care with our quarry is a good thing that reciprocates back into the fishery. As to the censorship deal, nothing is gained by hiding the truth or deflecting from it. People should be free to post there legally caught fish and people should be able to CONSTRUCTIVELY CRITICIZE them or compliment them.

P.S. Clive I sure haven't topped a day of fishing as that evening of Pikin'. And even I who should more than know better was gitty as a school girl and made some unnecessary but marginal mistakes in handling of those hefty girls. Important thing is to learn from your mistakes so you can stop making them in the future.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This site is on the way to that. I'm with Taco on this. The complaining about every non-pristine fish pic is getting on my nerves, as is the deletion policy. We continue and continue to pander to the most sensitive with the outcome being people are afraid to post pictures. Too bad, it makes the site less than what it was.

i'd have to agree.

i think there's a good educational opportunity at times with some pix and that's good [that seems to have eventually come forward here re: gators], but i've stopped posting many pictures as perhaps the fish posture, netting procedures, amount of water, location, etc. could be percieved as being less than ideal...frankly when you are alone & trying to take a photo it usually isn't anyways.

but/and then you get comments about useless posts without pictures?

sigh.

i_love_this_thread.jpg

as far as i'm concerned, you're all bait fishermen still using barbed treble hooks :drinked: ...now excuse me while i go sit on my jetboat talking about global warming, the crappy flames and fish handling techniques while i eat a big bowl of underage bull trout stew... :numbchuck:

as for pics being deleted, that's bush...and i don't mean dumbass dubya...

by the way taco, nice show old man...

pwned2.jpg

seanp

You have made one or two false assumptions. Where did you get the idea I support C&R fishing exclusively? You imply that.

I said no such thing and you are making uncalled for statements in your post. You may not agree with my original post but please don't jump to idiotic conclusions, make assumptions about people that are incorrect and call people C&R Nazis. WTF?

Exclusive C&R is a slippery slope and there are few places where 100% C&R can be justified or supported.

"Without concern for fish populations and stringent regs (including size and daily limits) we'd have no fisheries at all in Alberta. So some may complain about C&R fishing, but without some control our waters simply cannot support large kills."

Was there something here that led you to conclude that I support 100% C&R. All I said was that we need regulations with size and bag limits. C&R as you and I both practice is part of that plan and those regs. What makes me any different than you?

You might think I am an ***hole for my strong opinion of a public display of fish handling and I am fine with that. But please don't make stupid, offensive and inaccurate statements because you jumped to silly conclusions.

Thanks.

Clive

And again, I think that C&R, especially for "sport" is cruel.

There's what, 2000 people on this site? A couple bonked fish per, a week, hmmm. Adds up, no? A released fish quite often isn't a dead one I'm sure.

He released the fish, in the end. It's not like he rubbed it in broken glass and then poured ammonia on it.

Seriously. There was clearly no intent to harm that fish. That's evident in the video.

But you are down on him anyway? How is that not Nazi?

You haven't been here long I take it. You'll have your work cut out for you I think if this is your reaction every time fish handling comes up.

I just think you are an ***hole plain and simple.

I'd call that "running one's mouth kinda reckless". Comments like that, to me, are best kept for a face to face meeting, with the realization that one best be prepared to deal with the consequences. At least that's the way I grew up..

someone put another :$*%&: quarter in the merry go round...i thought these threads only popped up in shack nasty season...and sean, being that you are new to this site, you should know that we all get along here whether we bicker or not...you want to call people names because you're opinions are being breached upon, then take it out to the playground where the rest of the childish games are being played...clive's got alot of respect in the fly fishing community and he earned it...god forbid he has an opinion and defends it and then defends himself when being publicly bashed...now with that said, i think it's miller time... :drinked:

A released fish quite often isn't a dead one I'm sure.

Sure as heck isn't happy or healthy either.

I'd call that "running one's mouth kinda reckless". Comments like that, to me, are best kept for a face to face meeting, with the realization that one best be prepared to deal with the consequences. At least that's the way I grew up..

Yeah? Well re-read the post. He's the one that put the "a" word out there, and attributed it to himself. If he ain't happy with it, he can say so. And if I think it's justified, I'll apologize.

But the tone of your post is a little threatening. "Deal with the consequences", indeed. You better be ten feet tall, bulletproof, and able to flip a building over to make a statement like that. I'm not quite so much myself, but I would bet I can settle your hash in a hurry. Want to find out?

seanp wrote, I'm not jumping to any conclusions. YOU are the one having a spazz on a guy about how he is holding a fish in a video, for crying out loud.

Please go back and read my original posts. I commented on how well the fish were held. ("Glad to see they fish were not hoisted vertically")

I merely said that netting was inappropriate for airing on a public video. ("A net is not for these larger pike...a cradle is warranted. But there is a proper and safe way to handle these fish ... with a finger under the jaw." AND "The handling is poor for a public video (that is the key ... a public video) ... small net on big pike when they could have been grabbed by the back or under the jaw.")

seanp wrote, or just call him names on a whim. Yeah like "C&R Nazi." Good one man.

Clive

wow sean you are a model of morality. It's pretty rich coming on here guns a blazing like you did; and on the topic of assholes opinions are just like them.

I catch and release because I walk long distances along high country streams alone and would rather not have a piece of meat hanging from my shoulder in the hot summer sun. I'm also not going to drive for 4 hours to catch my two fish in the first hour and then turn around and go home.

Were you not so new here you may have found out that most of us understand that this is a bloodsport and I personally have no delusions about how a fish may or may not feel about being caught and released. I accept that on some level I am torturing some fish for no other reason than to amuse myself but then again my fave river is strictly c&r and oddly I can count on catching the same fish every year.

Anyway, congrats on catching fish and just putting them out of their godforsaken misery. On behalf of the eastslope trout population I would like to thank you for being such a kind and generous steward.

sincerely,

Royce.

But the tone of your post is a little threatening. "Deal with the consequences", indeed. You better be ten feet tall, bulletproof, and able to flip a building over to make a statement like that. I'm not quite so much myself, but I would bet I can settle your hash in a hurry. Want to find out?

As for calling someone an ***hole, whether they attribute the word to themself or not, is an insult. As for my post being threatening, not so much. What your comprehension of it is/was is obviously a bit skewed, given the way you've been going off in this thread. You seem a little worked up. The statement "Deal with the consequences" is meant in the way that, if you have the courage to call someone an ***hole, to their face, and things go south as a result, one had best be prepared to deal with the aftermath. Understand? But since you seem to lack comprehension skills, I'll attribute your little rage here to that. I'm certainly not 10 feet tall and bulletproof, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't need to be either...

Instead of everyone bitching and complaining and pointing fingers and such, how about we come to a resolution on how the majority on this site would like the Mods to handle such pics.

The rules for posting pics http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=6266 where put together on input from the members of this site and the Mods carried through with those decisions and implemented the rules.

So instead of this *hit show we are having and the threats to leave and the stupid name calling, maybe just maybe we could all come together and find a way that would appease the majority of the fine folk who use this site for what it is and was and not what it is becoming.

PS I LIKE CAKE.

Ok lets see 6 out of 10 GENERAL FORUM RULES have been broken here. I see a lot of uncalled crap going on. Wheres the p-wood with the fast finger as taco calls it. Glad i didnt post the photo of the 20 lb gattor last week the only way i could handle it was to use Clives gill plate and bogo grip.No i didnt lift her out of the water for those that are curious. I do see alot of photos being deleted because they might offend people on this site and start WW3.What about some of these unacceptable posts?Dont worry! to be safe i wont be posting any photos on this site. Hang on DBT joining you for a miller. :cheers: