Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing For Giant Pike

Hello fishing friends,

I've been trying to get this one up for weeks, but the youtube police kept flexin on me. Got some legal advice on copyright laws and I'm fighten back with giant Pike on the Fly.

Mike and Mike in one boat, Strando, Camera man Cory and myself in the other. We had an hour long window in the day to target these pigs in the shallows before the storms kicked our asses. Thanks goes out to the boys for doing the deed of hookin up on film, Nice fish Strando and Turnbull. Great job and thanks with the filming Cory.

Man that lake has some huge pikers!

Hope you all enjoy the newest film in the Humblefisherman series

Fly Fishing for Trophy Pike

Thanks for watchin,

The Humblefisherman

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the post. Great fish.

I am shocked at the poor fish handling shown in the video ... I am actually appalled ... made worse because it it being aired in public. A net is not for these larger pike...a cradle is warranted. But there is a proper and safe way to handle these fish ... with a finger under the jaw.

Glad to see they fish were not hoisted vertically ... something we've all erred on.

I will not apologize for the negative comments ... I actually hate rants about how people are taking pictures of fish out of water blah blah blah. My rant is well justified ... this is simply not a good demonstration of proper fish landing and handling.

Shocked!

Clive

grip-0.jpg

Looks like fun guys!!

We've been hammerin' the big girls up north here too, what a blast!

Thanks for sharing the vid,

Ayr.

Regarding the handing thing; the only perfect way to handle them is not angle for them at all, but what fun is that? I see flaws in both handling systems illustrated, so what? We do our best (I assume), so let's catch some fish a have a great time!

Ditto. Definately not a net fish...

Thanks for the post. Great fish.

I am shocked at the poor fish handling shown in the video ... I am actually appalled ... made worse because it it being aired in public. A net is not for these larger pike...a cradle is warranted. But there is a proper and safe way to handle these fish ... with a finger under the jaw.

Glad to see they fish were not hoisted vertically ... something we've all erred on.

I will not apologize for the negative comments ... I actually hate rants about how people are taking pictures of fish out of water blah blah blah. My rant is well justified ... this is simply not a good demonstration of proper fish landing and handling.

Shocked!

Clive

Hey Clive,

I don't expect you to apologize for your opinion, it is just that. I expect you have caught many big Pike in your day, I have not, I'm more of a trout guy, but my buds took me out for a day of Pike fishin and it was alot of fun. Like all fish we catch it is entitled to the best release possible. I have made a cradle for future trips and we'll see if that makes any difference.

I sorry you were "shocked". The fish were held up for a pic and released, all were caught on single undersized barbless flies. The fish were kept in the water for the most part and only lifted up for the shot. They were released and the chances they survived are very good.

I don't claim to be an expert on Pike fishin. I'm learning like everyone else.

I will take the positive form your comment and thank you for your advice.

My opinion,

you should soften up a little Clive, your point could of been made with less heat.

Alot of people could use that advice and use less heat and more tact when trying to get a point across. We all make mistakes and hopefully learn from them, I think that makes us better fisherman.

indeed, i'm curious if anyone else has been offended by the way we handled those fish.

Anyone?

I've been going for them since I was about 10, and I've seen some pretty horrific handling practices. Fish pulled into the shallows, line dragged onto the shore ( no matter what the shore was ) scale stuck between the lower jawbones, weighed, and sometimes tossed back before being revived at all. Alot of fish in that size class or larger whacked, or just tied beside a boat or whatever, dying a slow death. What anyone would want to keep one that size for I'll never understand, they don't taste good, and what are you going to do with 20 lbs of pike meat? I think Clive's intentions are good, but like almost any one of us, the temper gets ahold of the typing fingers. I'm probably the worst snapcase I know, so I can relate. Nice fish fellas, it's good to hear you're making yourself a cradle... The pic is one I found once, went over 40". Sad to see such a beauty dead on shore, quite probably from being handled as I mentioned.

post-1598-1243605290.jpg

Looks like fun guys!!

We've been hammerin' the big girls up north here too, what a blast!

Thanks for sharing the vid,

Ayr.

Regarding the handing thing; the only perfect way to handle them is not angle for them at all, but what fun is that? I see flaws in both handling systems illustrated, so what? We do our best (I assume), so let's catch some fish a have a great time!

I agree one hundred percent!!...............And Jay, I think you did a good job handling/landing those monsters,.........and, ............. an excellent job handling the snarly post. WELL DONE!!!

CHEERS,

Dick Seymour

Thanks for the feedback everyone, Sorry Clive the movie stay's up. But i will add your input about using a cradle to the description of the movie, that way people don't make the mistake of going out Pike fishing with trout sized nets.

Thanks for watching!

Unless the video has been edited since...well, I watched it, and sure the net was too small, but i've watched pike fight and eat smaller pike and they bend just as much. Is the bending the issue?? Sorry Clive, appalled?? I don't get it. I'm confused.

No change at my end.

The handling is poor for a public video (that is the key ... a public video) ... small net on big pike when they could have been grabbed by the back or under the jaw.

We all do what we have to do and we learn as we go, but as I wrote to Jay, "animals rights folks give anglers a bad enough time as it is .. we don't need to give them fodder." I still ask that the netting parts be edited out. Show the playing. Show off the pike..they ARE great pike. Just get rid of the difficulties netting. It is not amusing. It is not educational.

The response is pretty amazing from a group that comes unglued when they see a brown trout laying on the grass for a picture. Lordy .. if someone showed that sort of display with a trophy Raven brown or giant Bow River rainbow ... OMG, eh? (Say trying to land a 26-inch brown with a 10-inch 'crik' net.) Good Lord, such a thread would outdo the "jet boat" thread and you guys know it.

A double standard is evident. But they are just pike, eh? ;)

Clive

Hey Jay

I watched the video and thought wow nice fish and another awesome video. Its amazing how some people from this board can look at something and find all the negatives. I would like to look at the positive things like wouldnt we all wish to catch fish that wont fit in the net. Im sure the next time you go you will be more prepared for the size of fish but as you said you never thought this would be a problem. Ive fished for many years and seen people treat fish alot worse than that and from what I seen id almost guarantee there was no harm done to those beauties. As for Clive saying its not educational I would disagree. I think we all learned your net can never be too big. Keep the video the way it is. Nothing better than getting out with boys enjoying a day on the water and catching beauties like that are just a bonus.

Cal

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

this is going to sound bad (i dont abuse fish) but i dont treat pike, bass, or walleye with that much delicacy. These are the toughest fish we have up in Canada! I have seen these fish get put through the toughest time in their lives back out in onterio. I find they are NOTHING like the wussy trout, they can take a beating and keep trying to take your hand off.

what is the real problem with the net? (honest question not being a smart ass) Is it that the fish is put into an extream "C" shape when it his the bottem of the net?

Thanks

Jeremy

P.S. I agree with you too Dryfly it is really funny what gets turned into a crazy thread. lol

The response is pretty amazing from a group that comes unglued when they see a brown trout laying on the grass for a picture. Lordy .. if someone showed that sort of display with a trophy Raven brown or giant Bow River rainbow ... OMG, eh?

A double standard is evident. But they are just pike, eh? ;)

Clive

Point just proven.. (Seems to me the 40 + gal in my pic wasn't so tough..)