Fly Fusion Forums

My Wife's First Rainbow On The Fly Rod

reevesr1

I rowed my wife around Chaparral for just over an hour to try to get her a trout on the fly rod. She hooked a nice fish right off the bat, but lost him. A few minutes later she hooks another and gets it all the way to the boat, struggling to keep up as it was running right at her. She thought she had lost it, but I assured her she hadn't. She catches up to the fish, but looses it right at the boat when she gave it some slack worrying about reeling the loop knot thru the tip top.

We row around a while longer, get a couple of hits without hookups then she hits another. This guy wanted to play on surface a bit with lots of jumps and direction changes. It made a big surface move right at us, Jackie's line goes slack "darn, it came off!" while the fish is still jumping. I assured her it was still on. She gets it to the boat and it made a couple of deep sounding runs. Finally we get it to the net and below is the result. This was Jackie's first rainbow on a fly rod. Her exact words "I can see why you like this so much!" I said "next time you're rowing."

jackietrout.jpg

We'll work on handling skills. Fish was released, but a bit traumatized from the choke hold.

Tried to get her out today, but she couldn't make it. Went by myself and I was anchored up and fishing back toward some docks, one of the mom's called out:"do you ever catch anything here?" I told her that I did, and better yet her pier was pretty much in the middle of rainbow central (troutlover-her's is the dock with the boats). She said that her son's fished, but never caught anything. Her son's were like 9, 7, and 5, all boys and very English! Could I show them how? I said sure, and they ran in and got the rod and reel. It was a 5 ft too stiff spinning rod and a reel with about 50 yds, maybe, of line. But certainly capable of catching fish on the lake. The lure of choice was a small 5 of diamonds. Again, certainly ok for the lake. But it was connected to a wire leader and a bobber above the leader. She said "some man" showed them how to rig up. I thought "not a fisher-man!" Anyway straightened out the gear, taught the 9 yr old how to tie a fisherman's knot, went through their box and showed them what I would use and gave them some pointers on how to fish the lake. Also gave the mom some suggestions on some better gear. As I was leaving the oldest boy said "one just chased my spinner!"

Man, I love watching kids fish!