Fly Fusion Forums

How Many Times You Been Laid Off?

Betcha can't guess why I'm asking <sigh>

So...how many times you been laid off due to corporate restructuring or economic downturn? I'm just about to be on #3. Unfortunately this one doesn't look as lucrative as the last 2. I'm getting too old for this *hit. Thinking of leaving the oil patch for good.

So...how many times you been laid off due to corporate restructuring or economic downturn? I'm just about to be on #3. Unfortunately this one doesn't look as lucrative as the last 2. I'm getting too old for this *hit. Thinking of leaving the oil patch for good.

Oilpatch was bad for me too. 7 jobs in 13 years. When the economy turns bad, the dollar amount on your paycheck is all that matters to most companies.

Sorry your another "casualty" of the oil pactch. I feel for you. I work in healthcare, for now. Who knows what could happen? I may be in the same boat, castin a fly with you! LOL

What's worse is the plethora of people all bidding on whatever jobs there are and you are always bidding against extremely qualified people for the few jobs out there.

As the saying goes, "One door closes and another opens". Keep your spirits up Lynn, hug your doggies and go for a walk by the river.

FHD

once.

so far. i was set free second week of march.

i'm not in o&g but it was definitely as a result of the current economic uncertainty. my wife works in o&g related recruiting and she's hearing lots of that sorta story right now, good news is it seems to be stabilizing out there...her biz seems to be picking up a bit.

i start a new gig on tuesday.

4 or 5 times... Though I think a few times it wasn't really "laid off"... But that's what I say it was ;)

P

May 22 will be 10 years working for me, I'm on my 22nd job (contract) been laid off twice, longest break between gigs has been a weekend.

Never been one to go down with the ship, the "the patch - NL, TX & AB" has been good to me.

That's shitty Lynn....But look at it like this...super time to go fish

Yer readin' my mind.

Actually....I'm not all broke up over it - and it hasn't happened yet, but I'm pretty sure it's going to (won't tell how I know but suffice to say I got the information through the course of doing my job). Every time I've been laid off, the packages have been pretty thick - one was an "arranged" layoff where they eliminated my position but I worked myself into another one to cover for a mat leave for a year and negotiated my package based on that. The other was a junior that just went down the tubes - and left me with worthless stock options but a trip to Mexico and a few months off. Both times I"ve wound up in better jobs, better paying jobs, and I've been able to say that I'm glad it worked out that way because I wound up better in the end. I'm not thinking that way this time though and that's what has me down. The good news is that I haven't been happy at this job for quite a while so I'll be glad to be gone. But that bad news is that I'm at the top of the range in my earning capacity and the type of job I'm going to be looking for is either not going to be there or not pay as well as I was being paid. The good news is that I'm being laid off in summer and not winter. The bad news is that I'm not getting a good package to tide me over the summer. The good news is that my really great, supportive husband has talked me through this and wrapped my head around going on EI and waiting to find the right job and not rushing into anything and telling me that we're going to be just fine. The bad news is that I have never claimed EI and I have a problem with it. But the good news is that it's there for this reason and I've put into it for 26 years and I think I"m gonna do it. The bad news is that it might not be enough to cover the wicked fishing habit I think I'm going to develop this summer. The good news is that I think I"m gonna develop a wicked fishing habit this summer.

All kidding aside, I believe things like this happen for a reason and am a HUGE believer in kharma and will be glad to see some folks at my work get a dose of theirs once I leave. So....onwards and upwards as they say - that's life in the oil patch!

Sorry to hear that Lynn........I hope it will be back to normal soon, whatever normal is.....Thanks again for all your help with Stream Watch.......Guess the patch wasn't kidding when they said they were "out of funds" for this year..........

Twice

In late 1999 I found the biggest well in the company's history. As a bonus, the owners decided to sell the company and I was one of the first ones cut. I was on the street in early 2000. Fortunately times were good and I started contracting in a short time.

Now I run a small company. I laid myself off last month. The bonus is I still have to work - I just don't get paid anymore. That can cut into the fun time.

6 times for me and right now wondering if i will make it through the summer before #7 hits me. but c'est la vie more fishin time and a needed Vacation. starting to think i'll move to india where my jobs keep getting off shored to, so the company can save a buck

life in the patch been laid off every spring for the last 20 yrs but i love spring breakup as long as it dont go into aug. lol what i dont like is working 70-90 days straight in the winter time take the good with the bad where else can i make a k a day with my grade 10 education life in the patch lol

Lynn et al:

Just finished reading "The Dip" by Seth Godin. Its not exactly on topic 100% (its about knowing when to quit and when to stick around, so its not about being laid off per se), but you might find it a great read.

I sure did. And its a small book; only took an hour or so at the local Second Cup with my vanilla bean latte and a sandwich.

Highly recommend it.

Mike

Lynn

Plse to not take this as making light of your situation, it is not intended as that, good luck and I hope you come through this shining!!

I would of LOVED to have gotten laid off of my Job/Career .. I can see the headlines now!!!

Canadian Forces Let go due to massive out break of PEACE!!!!!

Man that would have been GREAT..

Finally after 24yrs I laid my self off.. Retired and feeling a whole lot better...

To all in the O P and others effected by the economic situation good luck and I hope all turns out great for you !!!

I've never been laid off, having been twenty years with the same company, however in March I was pretty sure I was going to be in the unemployment line as Nova was on the verge of bankruptcy. Pretty scary when you have a family to support. Luckly I ducked the bullet when we were bought out by IPEC. Having gone through several months of worry I really feel for those that weren't so luck...

never.... but then I've been bankrupt once, damn near again n'other time and broke to many times to count but I've never regretted tellin' the suit and tie world..