Fly Fusion Forums

Centre Pin Man

The last few nights we,ve been watching this angler at policeman catchin fish with a centre pin rod and reel catchin all sorts of trout, the first night i asked him what he was using, he says san juan, stoneflies, etc. good answer. there again tonight ,my buddy ask the same question he gets the same answer. sj. stones etc. sees him toss a decent size fish in the bushes. my buddy calls the fish cops . BUSTED with bait in possesion, dew worms , to many fish all oversize. his friend BUSTED no license. As far as im concerned These Fu##$ should go to the can to get pissed on. These are the same guys that hang out in the city all winter long ,talking to us fly guys about the great day they had fishing. but when we come along they tie on a stonefly, pink bubblegum worm, bowriver bugger. But today he was caught with a bare bait hook on the end of his line. HAHA. Lets keep our eyes open and study these pri#@#s .They are killing our wild Trout streams. Good work eagle :masterbaiter: :$*%&:

Guest JayVee
what's beyond me is how can anyone eat fish from this river, YUK! Tell them boys to go fish below the calfrobe bridge on the west bank if they wanna eat fish :D

Whenever I tell a non fly fisher that I fly fish the first question is always where I fish. I tell them I fish mainly the Bow. Without exception, the next question is: do I eat the fish I catch? I just don't get people's obsession with this.

Kudos on helping nail the poacher. Reading that made my day.

I think I saw that clown back in March at Policeman's. He let a nice bow sit on the ice for

2 min's before he kicked it back in to the water. Glad to hear that he's finaly going to get

his peepee slapped. I called in some poachers a couple of weeks ago over by the southland

dog walk. Is it me or does it seem to be happening more?

I wonder how many of these dudes just aren't aware that there are rules. The reason I say this is because I've had a few guys come up to me on the river and ask me what a particular fish they caught was while pulling a monster out of a garbage bag with a hook with cheese in it's mouth. The guy obviously didn't know I could make a call and have him fined. I tried my best to explain to him the rules but he was not Canadian. This kinda thing happened to me twice.

Sounds like some bad elements in the big city!!

Good to see that the local fly fishers take the resource, personally.. and no matter what their personal views are, action is taken against the evil doers, this is a good thing.

Shows that fly fishing is keeping humanity in the humans that participate in the sport... again a very good thing.. hope that it spreads to other aspects of their lives.. help an old lady, lost kid, neighbor, stranger, etc..

It would be nice if we had a massive out break of peace and niceness because of Fly Fishing... and lawfulness also..

Tight lines and eagle eyes, troops good work..

I wonder how many of these dudes just aren't aware that there are rules. The reason I say this is because I've had a few guys come up to me on the river and ask me what a particular fish they caught was while pulling a monster out of a garbage bag with a hook with cheese in it's mouth. The guy obviously didn't know I could make a call and have him fined. I tried my best to explain to him the rules but he was not Canadian. This kinda thing happened to me twice.

Personally I think it's our responsibility to call all poachers in. People who aren't aware of the reg's aren't above them. Personally I think fines etc. leave a more lasting impression then a reminder from another angler.

I wonder how many of these dudes just aren't aware that there are rules. The reason I say this is because I've had a few guys come up to me on the river and ask me what a particular fish they caught was while pulling a monster out of a garbage bag with a hook with cheese in it's mouth. The guy obviously didn't know I could make a call and have him fined. Didnt speaka the english. :masterbaiter: jailbait

Personally I think it's our responsibility to call all poachers in. People who aren't aware of the reg's aren't above them. Personally I think fines etc. leave a more lasting impression then a reminder from another angler.

No question about it; I completely agree. I couldn't call the guy in in this case, the whole incident happened in the parking lot. What I was getting at was that there is no question that people some people don't know the regs. For example, Canadian Tire doesn't give out reg books with new licenses. Perhaps if there were signs at common fishing spots and public parks that stated the rules and consequences of breaking them, guys like those were talking about in this thread couldn't play dumb and wouldn't have any recourse at all if caught.

I firmly belive it should be law that when you get your license you are also given the regs with it. Alot of times I have the regs in my backpack so when I do come across the incconcent ones (People from other countires or places where bait and keeping fish are allowed) I am then able to hand them a copy of the regs that they are able to keep. I also will show them where in the regs they can find the laws for where they are fishin, I know when I first looked at the regs I was like wow where the hell do I start.....

Although regs should be easily accessible and certainly distributed with licenses, I don't think there is any excuse for not knowing the regulation on a particular body of water. If you purchase a license it is your own responsibility to find out what the rules are. Ignorance is not a defense. If anyone thinks Alberta regs are difficult to understand, have a look at BC's. I wouldn't think of going on a foreign piece of water in another country, province, etc without first finding out what the rules are, regardless of what regs I am familiar with at home. Glad you called 'em in!

Well done contacting the authorities and getting something done.

I will how ever make one point though. Please don't group all Center Pinners into one group.

I know of a few very responsible Anglers that use this method occasionally, (along with Fly Fishing) that know and abide by the Regulations. One in particular, (a good friend of mine), is of Korean decent but raised here in Alberta. He has already experienced negativity from the Fly fishing community which hasn't been a problem because he himself is an experienced Fly Fisher. He just likes to mix it up and loves being able to cover a lot of water. It would be a shame to see a person like him get flack due to being stereotyped.

Well said Missing the bow. I know and fish with that certain individual also and he is a hell of a good fisherman and I can't recall him ever telling me about keeping any fish. He mainly swings flies like the rest of us and would probably school most of us on this board. There aren't many centerpinnners on the bow but you guys sound like your classifying all centrepinners as poachers. No wonder the fishing community thinks we are a bunch of elitists. As soon as you see someone not flyfishing and catching decent numbers, you, check that, some of you instantly assume that something illegal must be happening. The guy that MTB and I know has a great understanding of CP and covers a ton of water with his method so maybe that's why he does so well.

Plus, I've never had a problem getting a hold of the regs at any can tire, maybe check he fishing section and you'll see them. That's a load of hoo-wee

Jayvee,

Here is a picture of a sign that I got built and a friend and I installed @ Ironside Pond. We got 4 signs built - 2 for Ironside and 2 for Beaver lake.

One of them got pitched into Ironside. It was rescued and reinstalled.

Took several visits to CO's to get the $'s right - they didn't want to tell me. Can't figure out why.

Least it gives you some of the penalties.

catch ya'

Don

IMGP0590w.jpg