Fly Fusion Forums

Support Your Local Flyshop

After nearly 40 yrs of fishing in saltwater using standard equipment, I shudder to think how much gear I bought. The vast majority was bought at large sporting good shops. I can't think of any bad experiences, and had many fine conversations I'm sure. But I cannot remember a single personal relationship that I established.

I started fly fishing about 3 yrs ago. In that time, I've gotten to know the owners and/or staff at Hanson's (who have become family friends), Fishtales, Country Pleasures, Southbow (even though they've only been open a short time. Really nice shop and nice guys-I kinda feel like I'm cheating on my girlfriend(s) when I go there!). This really hit home to me today when I was bringing a spare spool I bought for my Scierra from Gord (Speyghillie) in Scotland to Southbow (took troutlover to check out the new store and get some hot flies) to get some Loop line I bought from Brian at Whistler fly shop in BC transferred onto it.

So in 40 yrs, I couldn't tell you the name of a single person I've ever shopped from buying standard gear. 3 yrs of fly fishing, I can probably name 15 people in 5 fly shops, including out of the province and one in a land they have a funny accent. I think that is partly because the small fly shop atmosphere encourages personal relationships. It could be that fly fishing lends itself to a more personal approach because of the myriad of ways it can be done. Whatever the case, it is a major part of the appeal of the activity for me. I've never been a shop rat before and I find myself becoming one now. If I could only find a way to hide my wallet.

BassPro is having their grand opening tomorrow. It'll probably be very cool. I'd like to meet April Vokey. I'm probably not going and if I did, I'm in no danger of buying anything significant there. Nor are a very good percentage of fly fishermen in this city, I bet. We will continue to support our local shops. Sort of like drug addicts, we can't seem to get enough.

I visted the bass pro shops and anyone who hasnt dont waist your time! the fly shop sucks!!!! and watching the people buying fishing stuff was making my blood boil! i hope the economc slow down in alberta causes them to go broke and close there doors. BOYCOTT BASS PRO SHOPS

Agreed Rick.

Actually stopped in to Bass Pro Shops today just to check it out. Pretty cool to look at. That's about other. Might take the little guy up there every once in awhile just for the "amusement park" atmosphere.. but I doubt I'll ever buy anything from them.

I visted the bass pro shops and anyone who hasnt dont waist your time! the fly shop sucks!!!! and watching the people buying fishing stuff was making my blood boil! i hope the economc slow down in alberta causes them to go broke and close there doors. BOYCOTT BASS PRO SHOPS

This certainly was not the sentiment I was looking for. I have absolutely no problem at all with Bass Pro. It's a fine store and certainly has it's place. It's just not really for me anymore. But I still hope they succeed.

This is not meant to be a bash Bass Pro thread. It was meant to celebrate the small shop, not blast the big one.

Shops like Bass Pro are good for the niche retailers such as the local fly shops. Bass Pro is a drawing card for non hunters and fishermen because of the scale and all of the advertising. It is pretty unlikely that a small fly shop in a strip mall is going to draw people into their business that are not already involved to some degree.

Where I am going with this is there is a good chance that a store such as Bass Pro gets people excited about hunting and fishing that never were before. The trickle down effect to the smaller specialty shops is only a benefit, the whole pie becomes bigger.

Its funny how people jump on the bandwagon to boycott the big box stores. When I look to buy something I look for the cheapest price and if its at a local store even better. An example is I was looking for a TFO rod and was waiting to buy til I went to Phoenix and hit BPS, cabelas and sportsmen warehouse. Well I went and found the prices to be the same so i didnt buy it. So when I got back I went to Fishtales and checked because i didnt previously and found they had it for the cheapest and I bought it. I think in this market people are looking for the best deal and I think the local shops for the most parts keep there prices reasonable and will have no problem doing ok. With that being said the upside of a store like BPS is the selection of stock they have in many different areas and not just flyfishing. And as for going broke and shutting the doors I think there is little chance of that because they will become a tourist attraction just like every other one Ive been too.

Cal

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i would love to pend more time at the small fly shops but right now its all about who has the lowest prices of the products that i need. With Trout Fitters not in the NW any more i really have no erge to drive 30-40 min south just to take a look around and chat.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

yah, they did...thats what pro sports people do. For them its gone from love to work and thats what you turn a sport into a paycheck. Btu good fort them, if bass pro called me up and said they would pay me to come into the stor and chat with customers i would do it too and so would most any one. Its not selling out, its getting payed!

Would love to have a flyshop close by to hang in and scare the *hit outta the gorbs, unfortunately that would involve an hr of drivin' each way, so the online hunt for a deal is the replacement. Found a couple early this winter that I'm still tickled about. I'll just baffle the denizens of this BB as a replacement for the gorbs, until this winter's flyshow SilverDoc and Flytier were convinced I was a 5'5" dweeb with Kmart cowboy hat.

BassPro is having their grand opening tomorrow. It'll probably be very cool. I'd like to meet April Vokey. I'm probably not going and if I did, I'm in no danger of buying anything significant there. Nor are a very good percentage of fly fishermen in this city, I bet. We will continue to support our local shops. Sort of like drug addicts, we can't seem to get enough.

Amen, I think supporting local small shops helps build a healthy local fly fishing community. I know that people in the shops being friendly really helped me overcome how intimidating fly fishing can be to people who are new to it (like me). I went by Basspro today w/ headscan, it's pretty overwhelming. There is a mind boggling amount of stuffed game in there, seemed almost macabre. My money will continue to go to small shops but it's also nice to see how many people Bass Pro is employing, in this economy that's something to be happy about.

al

They were shocked to find out you are 6'5" hick with a WalMart belt buckle

LMAO...BBT you're off a little, the hick part is dead on but I'm 4" shorter than 6'5" and the dinner plate I wear is a Montana Silversmiths........smartassedsumbitch :derby racer: :goodvsevil():

Double D..... you are forgiven

They were shocked to find out you are 6'5" hick with a WalMart belt buckle

BTW BBT that's still makin me laugh......................................................dink

Guest Sundancefisher

While Bass Pro is neat...they don't have the selection or knowledge that Fish Tales has. I would even buy bit downtown but that new place is still closed. I heard that the owner and managers are fighting over management and the store name.

Anyways...someone should contact the authorities that Bass Pro is selling live fish transportation aerators and deer bait and bait feeders and salt licks. All together things like this are not illegal to sell but you are in effect creating the opportunity for easily breaking the law. By the act of enabling such behavior should be deemed guilt by association. Morally Bass Pro should not sell this stuff... IMHO.

because she's a chick??

I can't vouch for anyone elses intentions, but I feel that April is doing a great service. She is using her obvious assets to benefit steelhead conservation efforts. She is an outspoken advocate, whether you agree with her tactics or not, the steelies need all the attention and help they can get right now because the situation is critical. Have you heard about her flies for fins program through the steelhead society? If not, look it up, you may be impressed. I agree that it is a shame that she was only at Bass Pro, but I would be the magazines decision to send her there not April's.

I can't vouch for anyone elses intentions, but I feel that April is doing a great service. She is using her obvious assets to benefit steelhead conservation efforts. She is an outspoken advocate, whether you agree with her tactics or not, the steelies need all the attention and help they can get right now because the situation is critical. Have you heard about her flies for fins program through the steelhead society? If not, look it up, you may be impressed. I agree that it is a shame that she was only at Bass Pro, but I would be the magazines decision to send her there not April's.

second that

Anyways...someone should contact the authorities that Bass Pro is selling live fish transportation aerators and deer bait and bait feeders and salt licks. All together things like this are not illegal to sell but you are in effect creating the opportunity for easily breaking the law. By the act of enabling such behavior should be deemed guilt by association. Morally Bass Pro should not sell this stuff... IMHO.

Maybe you should alert the media. <--poke--<