Fly Fusion Forums

Hammock Camping

Hey guys does anyone here do hammaock camping?

If so what hammock do you use?

after a little reseearch I think I am swaying towards this hammock http://www.junglehammock.com/models/northamerican/index.php

The reviews are stunning, I have never seen this many people rave about a product.

What should I be considering?

The hammock will be used in all weather conditions and tamp ranges to -10 C.

I know a lot of cycling tourers that use hammocks as all you need is 2 trees and a tarp - very efficient, but the problem I have with the concept is sleeping on one's side, which I like to do... Also, if you have back problems, probably not going to do your back any good... Seems both practical and impractical at the same time...

P

Hey guys does anyone here do hammaock camping?

If so what hammock do you use?

after a little reseearch I think I am swaying towards this hammock http://www.junglehammock.com/models/northamerican/index.php

The reviews are stunning, I have never seen this many people rave about a product.

What should I be considering?

The hammock will be used in all weather conditions and tamp ranges to -10 C.

Ive used the Hennessy expedition hammock. get em at MEC

They are good stuff, but there is no way id be in there if it was around -10c. The problem with the hammocks is they allow easy air flow all around your body, as your obivously off the ground. Benefits would be that they set up in a matter of minutes and there is nothing as cool as staring at stars from your hanging bed in the summer time out camping. To keep em warmer you can throw in a camping air mattress in the bottom...

You should look into getting yourself a single man tent...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....845524442629299

I have a hammock/tent that you can hang in a tree, peg down on the ground and also use as a bug screen in a hostel. It's made in Thailand and I bought it at a silent auction in Calgary for $75. They usually retail for $175. Pretty neat rig!!

In the summer, sure. Cold weather? No thanks. I slept in a bag for almost a month in the Yukon/NWT, closer to the ground the better with a decent mat beneath is the way to go (at least for me) Fully dressed, still had not alot of desire to get up in the morning and bathe in the Big One. Less air around you at night the better.

While in S.E Asia, I spent a few months living and sleeping in a hammock trying to save a buck or two. From my experience, there great to chill in but sleeping they are ok. Found that my shoulders always felt cramped while laying on my sides and I missed having that vertical stretch room. The bottom would also cool off fast when the temps would drop but it's also a great feeling being off the forest floor!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

if you notice there is a pouch under 1/3 of the set up that is designed for storage and insulation on your bum on back.

wind is another story, but a well set up wind wall should do the trick.

and it is less then 1 of my cheap airsoft guns.....MP5 up or sale lol

if you notice there is a pouch under 1/3 of the set up that is designed for storage and insulation on your bum on back.

wind is another story, but a well set up wind wall should do the trick.

and it is less then 1 of my cheap airsoft guns.....MP5 up or sale lol

Jer I didn't argue with most of teh comments as the people that commented clearly didn't look at the product I showed.... Like I'd be looking for a hammock if I already didn't own a wicked tent.

Guys the reason fo rthe hammock is the weight savings and bulk savings over carrying a tent, pegs, poles, drop sheet and a mat. Read teh reviews of the Clark hammocks and you will soon realize that it is a light weight, waterproof tent that hangs from teh trees

Since all Mexican folk sleep in hammocks every night of their lives, I bought one from Mexico. Doesn't help you, but I'd have no problem sleeping in it. In fact I have - passing out still counts as sleeping.