Fly Fusion Forums

Soft Hackle Nymphs

Brad29

I just watched a video on youtube about the softhackle pheasant tail nymph. Looked like it could be a really effective pattern. Haven't used soft hackles much myself, just wondering if many people use them and if you have much luck with them.

I find soft hackle flies are most effective during emergence. They will mimic the action of a nymph trying to break the surface film, in both streams and stillwaters .

Picture_049.jpg

I like the foil bodies to imitate the gas-filled outer skin on nymphs. My theory is that one combines a number of trout "keys" in one pattern and it will perform very well, even if the trout are just keying on one thing. The hackle creates an attracting sub-audible disturbance by displacing water and the flash and shape are the "keys".

j

I generally only use soft hackle flies during the spring and fall times, and generally only use them for Hare Ear, and Pheasent tails, I did try a soft hackle caddis larva (was imatitating a caddis puppa) and didn't have much sucess with it, do plan on trying it some more during the caddis emerganc.

I just remeber I also tie copper johns with soft hackles and they seemed to do okay.

Andy,

I usally just use them like I do my normal nymphs.

I thing I have found with soft hackles is it adds some movement to the flies, which is a great way to get the trouts attention, but like most people have said already I find soft hackles a great immitations for emergers.

I love to fish dry flies. Just to see the fish take the imiation is a real joy to me. But if I had only one fly to fish with that I knew I had to catch a fish with, it would be a soft hackle of some kind. When I tie my soft hackle flies I tear off one half of the hackle. Then tie in the remaining hackle by the tip and wrap. My opinion is, the smaller amount of hackle lets the remaining hackles move more freely and show more movement makeing the fly look alive. A beadhead casual dress pattern is my go to fly. I know the casual dress does not have hackle, but the soft muskrat moves like a soft hackle.

LeRoy

Oddly I just picked up some partridge today to tie some soft hackles. I'm so sick of fishing under an indy I can't wait to swing some. I recall reading somewhere about fishing a sort of "life cycle" rig - dry/emerger/cripple on top, soft hackle below it, then a nymph as the bottom fly. Think I might give that a shot this summer.

ive fished and seen lots of soft hackle nymphs and flies.. they can be effective and fun too tye but im not too sure if they outproduce otehr patterns... they do make some deadly mayfly cripples tho fished in teh film.... heasdcan ive tossed a few hopper/dry dropper rigs with 2 droppers and they can be deadly!!!!!!!

ive fished and seen lots of soft hackle nymphs and flies.. they can be effective and fun too tye but im not too sure if they outproduce otehr patterns... they do make some deadly mayfly cripples tho fished in teh film.... heasdcan ive tossed a few hopper/dry dropper rigs with 2 droppers and they can be deadly!!!!!!!

Yeah but it's better than that endless bow river bobber fishin'

Ya ive been tying mine like that for years , half hackle and only 6 to 8 barbs around the fly. My favourite soft hackle is without a doubt the march brown spider. Dont reccomend fishing downstream in stauffer but at times swinging a soft hackle fly and stripping it back in little inch long strips is absolutly deadly.

This is a pattern that I haven't fished but tied afew of not so long ago any comments would be welcome. Essentially the same pattern but different dubbing and bead colours.

That fly looks deadly Carl. Nice tie.

This thread got me thinking about soft-hackles, so I ordered some Partridge dyed various colors and some Pearsall silk thread. I'll tie up something for pot hole lakes and the streams in central Alta.

Regards Mike

I have always liked soft hackles to fish and tie. Pretty effective sunk as caddis or as mayfly cripples or emergers greased in the film. Also swung through a pod of risers can be deadly at times. Very versitile you can tie a soft hackle to match all mayfly and caddis hatches.