Fly Fusion Forums

Loop Knots

Guest Dennis59

I have several fishing buddies that use nothing but a loop knot. I am giving serious consideration to going to the loop knot also for this year. Gives much more realistic movement to your fly.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump:

The uni-knot is one of my favorite knots and is an excellent loop knot for smaller fly's. There are a few good non-slip loop knots as well, for use with larger streamers ect. My favorite is an improved Homer Rhodes knot that I learned from Gord Kennedy, the owner of Westwinds flyshop...There are no illustrations on how to tie it, so you'll have to drop down at his shop and learn it from the master himself.

http://www.netknots.com/html/non_slip_loop_knot.html

http://www.netknots.com/html/rapala_knot.html

Is this the knot you guys are talking about??

http://www.killroys.com/knots/duncan.htm

If you wrap it 6or 7 times and pull hard on the tag end it works ,otherwise it silips .The rapala(sp?)or Kreh loop knot works well to a little harder to tie.Looks like i'm gonna have to get better at tying the kreh.

it seems that most of the non slip knots are the same the only difference is where you put the tag end through.

It is similar to the Kreh non slip, but a bit different. Another great non slip loop knot is the Alaskan loop developed for fishing Kings. I'll see if I can find it and post it....

In general, some fishers prefer the tag end of knots pointing at the fly, to help prevent catching on grass and debris in the water. I like to always have the tag end coming out of any knot at right angles to the line (strong) and then trim the tag very closely after the knot is set to give it a clean profile in the water.

If you wrap it 6or 7 times and pull hard on the tag end it works ,otherwise it silips .The rapala(sp?)or Kreh loop knot works well to a little harder to tie.Looks like i'm gonna have to get better at tying the kreh.

it seems that most of the non slip knots are the same the only difference is where you put the tag end through.

How about this page, on the middle (Homer Rhode Loop Knot)?

Loop Knots

What is the difference for the improved version?

Hi Bandee,

In the original version, the second overhand knot is tied around both the tag end and main line. With the improved version, the second overhand knot is tied around the main line only, with a few wraps in the second loop. Hope I explained that correctly... Then the two loops can be slid down to whatever loop size needed, and set.

The original Homer Rhodes knot had poor break strength (roughly 50% I beleive), the improved version makes the knot about 75% line strength. I think it's important to remember that the knot at the fly, should be the weakest link in the line/leader/tippet system and that 100% knot strength is not always a good thing.

EDIT: I just tied both the original and the improved Homer Rhodes and edited my explanation of the differences to provide more detail.

The original Homer Rhodes knot had poor break strength (roughly 50% I beleive), the improved version makes the knot about 75% line strength. I think it's important to remember that the knot at the fly, should be the weakest link in the line/leader/tippet system and that 100% knot strength is not always a good thing.

The homer rhodes was designed for use with shock tippets and really only works well in heavier mono (lightest I use it for is 60 lbs). It really doesn't work well with trout sized tippets, improved or not. And, who cares about have the knot to the fly as weak point for trout fishing? The tippet is going to be the weakest point in the system anyways if you are tying the rest of the knots properly.

The homer rhodes was designed for use with shock tippets and really only works well in heavier mono (lightest I use it for is 60 lbs).

This is true about the original Homer Rhodes knot.

It really doesn't work well with trout sized tippets, improved or not.

It does for me and I use it routinely with 8lb.-10lb. Fluro/mono without breaking off fish, yet I can break off at the fly if I get snagged up, without breaking, over stretching and wrecking my fly line/leader and tippet system. Floating fly lines have coatings to make them float and slick to shoot. Stretch them too much and your line will need replacing in no time. Most fishers blame the line mfg. when their lines don't last, crack, sink, etc.

And, who cares about have the knot to the fly as weak point for trout fishing? The tippet is going to be the weakest point in the system anyways if you are tying the rest of the knots properly.

If you are using hand tied leaders made with Uni-knots, Perfection knots, etc. that are 70%-80% k.s. and use a 90%-100% k.s. knot at the fly, you can sometimes break off a part of your leader and/or tippet with the fly, even with well tied knot connections for the leader/tippet.

Tippet material, especailly mono in finer trout diameters, can vary in b.s. from spool to spool and also degrade at different rates. High quality fluro seems a bit more consistent in my experience, but I still get a bad spool every now and then, especailly in the finer diameters.

That said, use whatever Loop knot you feel most suitable for your fishing conditions.

BTW, we still have not heard what Loop knot that you recommend and use or why it's any better than other Loop knots suggested so far..? Maybe we'll all learning something, which is what I think the original posters intent was when he started this thread.