• 7 wt Single Hand
    • 8 weight and up (SH)
    • Spey 5 wt
    • Spey 6 wt
    • Spey 7 wt
    • Spey 8 wt and up (DH)
    • Switch Rod
    • Spinning Rod With Rapalas

I don't get it. Maybe it's because I am still fairly new. Not only to the board, but to the sport as well. But I have noticed something, not just from this thread, but from many others as well.

Why all the in-fighting and childish behaviour? And from grown men no less? Where are we? Kindergarten? Now, I'm no Saint, I can tell you that much, but for cryin out loud guys grow up. It's a message board. About FISHING.

Aren't we, as fly fishers, somewhat elitist as it is when it comes to our chosen sport. Be it a hobby, or a profession, it's still just a cool way to chill and enjoy yourself, and hopefully the company of some really cool people. But, for some reason, we have to be elitist on HOW we fly fish. First it was how we fish, as in fly fishing, is more "pure" or "better" than chucking bait. Some of you even pin anyone who owns a spin rod as a "bait chucker" or even a poacher, simply because they choose to fish a different way than you do.

All I ask is, who really cares? Who decides whose way is a better way to fish? Me? You? I just fish because I like to. And I love it. Why should my way of single hand casting be any less effective or enjoyable than using a double hand, or spey rod? Who is to say that using a Spey is in anyway inferior to a single hand? Or better? You fish your way, I'll fish mine. I am sure we will both have a great time, and maybe get into some big fish. Likely, you'll get into more fish than I will because I am still learning, but hey, I'm learning. One day, I will catch more fish than you. But it won't be because I am using a single hand rod or a spey rod. It will be because I just had "one of those days". You know the ones. Where the fish are biting everything you throw at it, dry, nymph, streamer, don't matter the fish are killin' it! Who cares if it's cast out on a single hand, or a spey?

Either way. Just fish because you love it. Who cares how you do it.

My two bits.

Take it however you want.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toolman;

You bring this on yourself..I am curious though..When did you start fishing the Bow?? Why do you have such arrogance?? I tried to sit on the sidelines on this post, but I am curious about your attitude.and Bow River Qualifications...I have only seen you fish from afar, on the lower city stretch, and it was almost like watching a traffic accident, hard to look away, but not very pleasnat.. I forgive you anyway,,,

hey buddy, how's the poachin' been?

sheeesh touchy...hate mail and everything. Where's your sense of humor tonight Fishead.

And BTW folks, Fishead is not a poacher and is a staunch advocate for the Bow and it's fishery, as he has mentioned.

Sorry James...no serious harm intended.

I can cast 100 feet with a 2 weight while floating down the Bow at -45 below with water up to my neck and my balls frozen to an ice flow. Time for you fairies to man up.

And thats in your jetboat too right??? <--poke--<

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

how do you float the bow waist deep in water? i think your sinking lol the drama on this thread is awsome....reallity TV need to get in on this...a bunch of dudes comming into other dudes houses and telling them how to pork their wifes and cook their steaks...thsi is great stuff, keep it comming. lol jj

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

but the difference is we made the effort and now have agreat time on the water lol

9wt are awsome for teh bow, fish everyting from 5 ft out to 100 ft out.

After going out once with my 5wt I can definitely see where a bigger rod would be the right tool for the job. I could chuck out my rig fairly decently with the 5wt but definitely not much past i'd say 50 feet if that. With those bigger sticks you can cover more area that's for sure. But then again the fish I caught was like 15 off the shore lol Also before the weekend I was kinda against a fighting butt because my 8wt has it and is annoying but I can see how that could also be useful against the larger fish. I wouldn't mind getting a new rod, probably a 6 wt maybe 9 or 9'6" for that extra reach :)

everyone is so fascinated with distance..

a lot of guys that fish Fish Creek will know the retired Asian fellow that always fishes down there..i don't think i've ever seen him cast further then 30 feet (has anyone?) and he catch's more fish than anyone i've ever seen...

A 6 weight and an extra 6 inch's will not turn a 50 foot caster into a 70 foot caster, with no change in casting skill or technique.

Practice your casting and you'll be able to cast much further then 50 ft, double hauls are your friend, tighten your loops and let it fly...

*edit*

Go talk to CP's about casting lessons, or just chat about how to double haul. Mike talked me through a double haul before my first time tarpon fishing (and he's one of the best casters around)....now i can't cast my 1 weight without throwing in a double haul, as they're so useful

a lot of guys that fish Fish Creek will know the retired Asian fellow that always fishes down there..i don't think i've ever seen him cast further then 30 feet (has anyone?) and he catch's more fish than anyone i've ever seen...

A 6 weight and an extra 6 inch's will not turn a 50 foot caster into a 70 foot caster, with no change in casting skill or technique.

Practice your casting and you'll be able to cast much further then 50 ft, double hauls are your friend, tighten your loops and let it fly...

*edit*

Go talk to CP's about casting lessons, or just chat about how to double haul. Mike talked me through a double haul before my first time tarpon fishing (and he's one of the best casters around)....now i can't cast my 1 weight without throwing in a double haul, as they're so useful

That was my first day on the Bow and my first time single hand spey casting with my 5wt and it's a 8'6". I can(or used to lol) cast that rod around 70-80 with regular overhead casting and I know how to double haul but you can't double haul a spey cast. I was single hauling it but am not quite sure my timing was right and I need a ton more practice with it anyway. By reach I am meaning a bit more casting distance as well as a bit more mending control after the line. I agree that most fish are caught in close anyways. I have honestly never thrown a 70+ foot cast with the intention of catching anything, I just like chucking it out there. I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to see a small indicator budge when it is that far away anyways.

he told me he caught 1037 in 2008,no indicator,regular leader and same three bugs,this isn't a big secret ...he always tells me not to use an indie...

and when fishing up or down from him he's usually pretty busy and never hucking bugs more than 30' tops

at 1037 in a year would be an average of 86 fish a month...i'm positive i could try and copy his style of fishing and not do near as well,so i don't bother and do my own thing and do about half as well (at best)

he's great to share the river with

yup,i'm the same way,fishing from shore i have to hit the middle and fishing from the middle i have to hit the shore...weird isn't it,but 90% of my fish are caught in close (20-40') but that could be from being consistant at a certain reach,wether that's 20' or 80' depends on the person

That was my first day on the Bow and my first time single hand spey casting with my 5wt and it's a 8'6". I can(or used to lol) cast that rod around 70-80 with regular overhead casting and I know how to double haul but you can't double haul a spey cast. I was single hauling it but am not quite sure my timing was right and I need a ton more practice with it anyway.

Sorry if you took that the wrong way, you never said you weren't overhead casting!

Once you figure out your single haul on the spey cast, you can do a double haul on the spey cast, by hauling line as you go into your d-loop, and hauling again as you 'release' it...

50 feet for a beginner single hand spey caster is nothing to scoff at!

Once you figure out your single haul on the spey cast, you can do a double haul on the spey cast, by hauling line as you go into your d-loop, and hauling again as you 'release' it...

Hold on, you can double haul a single hand spey cast!!! Awesome haha I am going to learn this next time out. Does this only work for a single spey cast, so are you saying that you haul it in to get the fly to you and set your anchor and then haul it again on the way out!! lol But how does your hauling hand easily travel back up to the rod grip for the second haul without getting a bunch of slack?? There's nothing really to pull the line back out... unless the D-loop is pulling it out... maybe? I ask because just to be clear I know when I do overhead double hauls after you haul it forward the line will naturally pull your hand back up if the backcast is fairly decent allowing you to easily haul the second time around on the forward stroke.

Also I may exagerating a bit on 50' I;m not really sure how far that really is lol My apartment is 30' long and I know I can cast it further than that so maybe i'll say between 40 and 50 :)

It works for most spey casts, and roll casts...with a double handed rod, it's forming a V loop, instead of a D (i find it odd that there is not one mention of this in any of the spey topics on this forum, for having such an advanced 'king').

Imagine your spey cast as a overhead cast, but instead of putting the line into the air, you're sweeping into a d-loop..same timing for your hauls.

You haul down as you start your sweep of your rod tip to start the D loop, and bring your line hand back up to the handle as the d-loop is forming (the d will take this 'slack'). Your D is now formed, and procede with a normal 'turbo' spey....Its very hard to explain, and i probably explained it wrong..but it does work, trust me

It takes a lot of work to figure it out, as the haul into your d loop adds line speed, so it will form more of a V then a D (it's compressed, and has a 'point', this has more speed and distance capable..but is certainly more on the advanced side of the scale)..you can also haul too much (or move the rod too aggressively) and turn that spey cast into a terrible overhead cast, as the anchor can not stick on the water..

practice your turbo spey, and have it down pat before bothering with this, otherwise you'll get frustrated.

a v-loop

320_GALoadingRod.jpg

Hold on, you can double haul a single hand spey cast!!! Awesome haha I am going to learn this next time out. Does this only work for a single spey cast, so are you saying that you haul it in to get the fly to you and set your anchor and then haul it again on the way out!! lol But how does your hauling hand easily travel back up to the rod grip for the second haul without getting a bunch of slack?? There's nothing really to pull the line back out... unless the D-loop is pulling it out... maybe? I ask because just to be clear I know when I do overhead double hauls after you haul it forward the line will naturally pull your hand back up if the backcast is fairly decent allowing you to easily haul the second time around on the forward stroke.

Also I may exagerating a bit on 50' I;m not really sure how far that really is lol My apartment is 30' long and I know I can cast it further than that so maybe i'll say between 40 and 50 :)

I think the Rio spey video (one of them) has a demo or two on it from Simon G. doing single handed spey casts with a haul. You're welcome to borrow my copy if you do not have it, just PM me. If you ever run into Marc (headscan) on the water he tends to use it pretty heavily and does it pretty well. It's a pretty handy cast.