Fly Fusion Forums

The Much Maligned Whitefish

reevesr1

So speaking of burbot, what kind of steak fly was that one caught on??........I have some fond memories of catching burbot (we called them ling) in the Red Deer downstream of Drumheller when I was a kid.......Used to use a night line (an old green cord thing about 9/0 diameter) that had a couple of snelled hooks and a bolt for a sinker........First thing in the spring after ice-out when the river was high and the color of chocolat milk, bait each hook with a chunk of chuck..........Attach the line to a stake, pound the stake into the ground at water's edge, swing about 4 feet of line around your head and heave 'er out..........Let it sit overnight and check it in the morning.........Usally a ling on each hook........I had a big nail pounded into a tree and you just pushed the head through the nail, cut the skin around the head and peeled it down an inch, then grabbed the skin with a couple pairs of pliers and pulled like hell........The result is one of the finest eating fish this side of the salt water...........Best fish and chips you can imagine!..........Haven't caught one in years but my mouths a-waterin'........:)

I have actually seen 3 burbots (Isn't a ling a Ling COD, and is there really cod in the bow?) caught since I have started fly fish a couple of years ago. The first one was at gregg's nymph school and Brownstone nailed that one. Then the second one was one I caught floating through the city, tossed a stone in some really grungy looking water and bang, man that thing was big and long. The third was caught by max and I belive it took the SJW.

I also heard of one beeing caught during Speyghillies first clinc.

I also heard Burbot is suppose to be tasty, I dunno about that one.

And back in the day for you guys was when bambo rods were first invited <--poke--<

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Isn't a ling a Ling COD, and is there really cod in the bow?)

Ling cod ARE the best eating fish in the world..........Only out of salt though.......We called 'em ling but incorrectly.......Burbot..........

I also heard Burbot is suppose to be tasty, I dunno about that one.

You have to get by the appearance.......They are white fleshed, firm out of cold water and no Y bones........

And back in the day for you guys was when bambo rods were first invited <--poke--<

Actually I don't think bamboo was even invented then..........Just 200 pound test night lines with honkin' big hooks......When you grew up on a cattle ranch the odd fish was a nice change from beef....

We used to go for them on the east side of the Red Deer in Dinosaur Park. Right below the old Steveville ferryman's house. The trees were covered with ling, burbot, a nail between the eyes and a pair o' pliers to peel the skin off. I was never crazy about eating them, though. Pulled some pretty decent sized ones out of there. Look like salamanders I always thought.

Just wanted to thank whoever noticed the photo of me mishandling the cracker when taking my photo yesterday and directing me to the tips/good conversation that was archived. Although I've learned a lot this past year and a half fishing, I'm looking to learn more every day...particularly this type of info, which is one of the reasons why I joined the board. Didn't have a mentor, so been doing like most others and learning as I go. Too bad they didn't have a "fishing education course" that is a requirement for you when you buy your license. I remember having to take a hunter safety course when I lived in Massachusetts, and although I came from a long line of hunters, I still learned a lot. Anyone know of good books on etiquette/protocol when fly-fishing and practicing catch and release?

Just keep them in the water tightline and they'll be alright, while they should be handled with respect, fish, specially native coldwater fish are a lot tougher than most give them credit for. Too bad the bullshit photo police got busy, that was a pig of a whitey.

I've seen 3 burbot landed on SJWs (one was mine). There is also a burbot-loving professional biologist in town who selectively streamer fishes for burbot (small white streamers). He rates them way above trout. To each his own. The big corner below Fish Creek is a burbot sex hole.

bhurt quit teasing the Ancient Geezer Fishing Team.

Al, you should head out to Pine Cr. Coulee Res for a late night burbot fest with your buddy. Bring some glow jigs and smelts and collect some meat for a feast.

Good advice Monger but I'm no good at jigs and smelts anymore.......Some would say I'm no good with a flyrod either but hey...........And yah, Brad, enough with the "old" stuff...........Clive and I just got back from a great afternoon on the bench at Walmart watchng all the young chicks go by...........Can't remember though why we watch them..........Also got my new hearing aids ordered today so look out..........We're getting jackets made with the A.G.F.T. logo on them so that everyone will be able to recognize us on stream this year........:)

Al, where are the tarpon going to be throwing themselves at you this year?

You should check out the video on Youtube with guys catching 'poons on the surface with Gurglers.

Tarpon on dries...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJIhvGmg3E0&feature=related

These fish know how to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al, where are the tarpon going to be throwing themselves at you this year?

You should check out the video on Youtube with guys catching 'poons on the surface with Gurglers.

Tarpon on dries...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJIhvGmg3E0&feature=related

These fish know how to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!

That gets the juices going!!....Thanks.......I had a half day of that in Cuba last year..........Wow!!........I had a bunch of pike poppers with me and they hit them like candy...........Most fun I have EVER had........

Belize in July this year...........S'posed to be prime poon season so if you can stand the heat............I love the heat!!!

post-847-1235441253.jpg

post-847-1235441273.jpg

post-847-1235441292.jpg

Nice try Allan... :P

alrockie-0.jpg

In adc's defense.... That specific day I got back to the "docK" at the appointed hour and was happy as a clam as I'd hung a decent tarpon (made better by breaking another good one off about one hour before) and it was all good. So Iraldo and I hung out waiting for Al to get back ... and waiting .. and waiting...finally they motored up to the dock and naturally I am all pumped about telling MY tarpon story. Well you never saw anything like it. Here is the adult adc with a *hit-eating grin and he babbled and babbled non stop (I still catch him doing it to this day :) ) and he told us all about his grand pike popper experience. I could be mistaken but am am sure I saw him smoking a Cuban ceegar that evening. So whenever the Gods decree that I can go catch a tarpon again, you can bet there will be pike poppers on board.

But we learned one thing in Cuba for sure..see below.

frog-0.jpg

post-126-1235449030.jpg

Nice fish huh? What most people don't realize is the man has got the longest damn arms ya ever seen on a human, betcha he can tie his shoelaces without stoopin' over, I'm bettin' that tarpon is about 14" long.