Fly Fusion Forums

Bull Trout Flies

hayze07

I am looking to do most of my fishing in the grande cache area this year and was wondering what would be the top 3 bull trout flies i should be swinging.

I dont tie my own so recommendations that i can pick up at a fly shop would be great

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

THE BIGGER THE FLY THE BIGGER THE BULL TROUT, i fish anything from 3 to 8 inches whites, black, red. I fint they like white with a bit of red a bit more then the flashy orange,yellow combos. I have seen people chuck salmon patters and they dont move with when a white wizerd comes allong they go nuts.

I have had success with of course the white wizard... which you can't buy in stores. But the most sucessful store flies that I have used would be, Zonkers, big Bow River Buggers and bunny leaches. If you can get into wholesale sports they have prepackaged streamers 6 for like $11, so not really cheap but the packs I have seen have 4 very good bull trout flies.

Doesnt always have the be huge flies that will knock ya out on the way past. Smaller bull trout flies get huge cutties! You need a fly that has a lot of movement to get em. green red white or Tan white red is what i usually tie

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

the atomic weasel is just a red and white clouser tied with maribou instead of buck tail or other materials

but its no secret that a white wizard and jaba the butt are just half a bag of maribou tied to a hook