Fly Fusion Forums

New Fly Shop?

Way too many variables to say for sure especially with the current economy. A lot of people already have their favourite places to shop and they're familiar with the staff. A new shop would have to offer something a little different to get me to go (ie. not just carry Sage and TFO). Southbow does have a pretty good location, though.

I can see South Bow doing ok as many of us know Mike and the location is great for those launching at Policeman's. As for Bass Pro hard to say, I don't think that the avid flyfisher will frequent it with any kind of frequency as it most likely will cater to the larger spinning and baitcasting market

I agree. I think it was a smart location to put a fly shop just based on the projected fisherman traffic with respect to Policeman's Flats. I personally would unlikely drive there just to shop based on where I live. But if I was hitting the Bow in that area and need some flies than I would drop in there.

Guest RedWiggler

I now for for a fact that it will affect the fly shop I go to now, as soon as it opens I will check it out and probably start shopping there. Thats one full time customer gone, unless I recieve bad service or catch attitude from someone that works there.

I now for for a fact that it will affect the fly shop I go to now, as soon as it opens I will check it out and probably start shopping there. Thats one full time customer gone, unless I recieve bad service or catch attitude from someone that works there.

Which one are you referring to?

Does anyone know how Wholesale Sports impacted local businesses? I imagine it took a bit away, partly out of convenience due to location and partly due to better prices because of the volume they can carry. However, I think Bass Pro will be catering to a different crowd and may impact businesses in Airdrie (are there even any fly shops in Airdrie?)

As for Southbow, I'll likely stop by a few times as its a great location for those heading out of town. However, saying that I'll likely stay faithful to my favorite shop due to customer service, etc.

I'll continue to shop at my favorite fly shop for fly fishing stuff but since I live in Airdrie I will go to Bass Pro for things that aren't available at the fly shop like camping and hiking gear, and dehydrated meals. I hate going downtown Calgary to MEC so hopefully Bass Pro will be a affordable alternative.

The new fly shop would only be convenient if I forget something before launching at Policmen's since I heard they are open at 6:00am.

I can see South Bow doing ok as many of us know Mike

I agree, it will be very helpful to have someone like Mike on the staff. Always enjoyed the info I received from him at Wholesale.

For me I am in the Bermuda triangle of fly shops..Heritage and Macleaod. West Winds, Russells, Country pleasures, wholesale and even fish tales. Can't see myself visting too often, but that end of the city is sure growing!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

im checking out bass pro when it opens because it way closer to my place. There are no shops in the NW any more.

I hate taking 20 min to drive down there.

The one on Dunbow will have huge fly sales when there is a hatch lol

Guys don't be mistaken by Bass Pro's name, there is going to be a full service fly shop that is seperate from the rest of the tackle just like Wholesale has. The folks at Bass Pro have clearly done their research and know that there is a major vacumn in the North. The fly shop will carry the Bass Pro product White River (I think that's the name) as well as a full selection of Rio products, Reddington, Sage and GLoomis as well as many more. The fly shop is also going to be fairly well stock with fly tying supplies complimented with a tying bench to try new thing out or just to learn from the staff.

Guys don't be mistaken by Bass Pro's name, there is going to be a full service fly shop that is seperate from the rest of the tackle just like Wholesale has. The folks at Bass Pro have clearly done their research and know that there is a major vacumn in the North. The fly shop will carry the Bass Pro product White River (I think that's the name) as well as a full selection of Rio products, Reddington, Sage and GLoomis as well as many more. The fly shop is also going to be fairly well stock with fly tying supplies complimented with a tying bench to try new thing out or just to learn from the staff.

When they came to south Texas, everyone said "they are no threat, they only sell freshwater stuff". Turns out, shock of shocks, they do a bit of market research and had a fully stocked, well thought out saltwater selection as well. Same will undoubtedly hold true for fly fishing gear.

But will they compete with the specialty fly shops? I doubt it. They will certainly compete with Wholesale though.

i dotn think it will affect much.. i for one love supporting teh small guy and stop by a few of my favorite shops because i like the people tehre.. i do however swing by wholesale now and again too only because i have frends working there and find myself b.s'ing more than anything else.. with mike mailey workin at southbow i will shop there from time too time now and bass pro dont seem like much of a "go to" shop for me.. i think wholesale bass pro russels fishing whole etc. cator too mroe of teh just getting into flyfishing crowd who are intimidated by the small shop idea that itts only were the dedicated shop wich is totally b.s. but in teh end i think most shops who have loyal customers will continue too get them and teh ones who treat teh customers with respect and have a good rep will continue too grow

are you becoming affliated with Bass Pro jayhad, or what's with the new signature?

At this time I am not affiliated with Bass Pro, I have had a couple of interviews with them and may be taking a position at the new store. I am an apprentice carpenter and things have slowed considerably for me lately. Before I started swinging hammers I worked A LOT of retail and have held positons from stock boy to Director of Retail Sales, so the relationship would be mutually benefitial.

As for the new signature, well that will have to wait a few more days before I can really say anything, but while you are on the interwebs why don't you click on some links to some great products..... the links are right down there haha

If I work at Bass Pro or not I think it the store should be checked out just to see the big fish tank alone.

I've been in the Bass Pro in Denver, their fly fishing section was full service for sure, comparable to Wholesale's section. I live in Airdrie and know I'll be spending money in there, as I'm sure alot of people living north of 16th will be.